Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 73735 times)

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #165 on: October 25, 2014, 10:27 AM »
Bought a NYCC exclusive Jesus online yesterday. Had to have him.

On a side note I'm pretty upset with you McMetal. Can't believe you didn't mention this figure existed in this thread. I'm incapable of going elsewhere online to find anything out.  ;)
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 25, 2014, 11:18 AM »
LOL, sorry I did drop the ball on that one...chalk it up to my lack of comic focus now. Did you get the color or B&W version?

I picked up the Daryl and Chopper builder set and a 5 figure "starter pack" from TRU yesterday. They had the Governor set too but I didn't want to go all out as I am still sort of undecided on these. Sitting here looking at them right now, they are definitely well done, but will also take up significant stuff to display properly...
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 25, 2014, 01:56 PM »
I went color. I like the b&w stuff matching the comic look, but in the long run, fitting in with everything else, etc., I went color. My Negan is color too.

I like the pictures I've seen of the Building Sets, but am confident I will stay away from them.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 31, 2014, 11:13 AM »
Just saw the building sets. Really nice. Love the Governor set.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 11, 2014, 08:51 PM »
Just saw the building sets. Really nice. Love the Governor set.

Yeah, they are crazy well-done. The light up walker-head aquariums look amazing. I can't wait to get the prison set!

I also finally completed my initial wave of blind bagged figures...took awhile to get Sophia but I nabbed her at lunch today.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #170 on: November 11, 2014, 10:39 PM »
I saw these too, but I just don't get it...  Why do a set like that, but then figures like those?  The sets are neat, but wish they'd done figures ala Mega Blocks and how they've handled video game properties.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 12, 2014, 09:43 AM »
I saw these too, but I just don't get it...  Why do a set like that, but then figures like those?  The sets are neat, but wish they'd done figures ala Mega Blocks and how they've handled video game properties.  :-\

The figures look really nice though! They have a great amount of detail and the paint apps are surprisingly good. They're even poseable/articulated. I really appreciate the extra effort put in here, doubt I would feel the same about something simpler and more stylized.

IMHO, these things are light years better than those cruddy Command SW toys, for instance.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #172 on: November 12, 2014, 09:05 PM »
But the point I was bringing up is, they do THOSE figures then do them in a set that in all essence a Lego...  And Lego's format works as it is.  Megablocks mimics it with something I think is more collector-oriented, but Lego is Lego and it works.  A figure that can interact in a lot of ways with the set.  With these, those figures interact one way, and that's it.  It just doesn't make sense.

Like why not just make a scene, and release these figures in those?  They may have articulation points, but they're anything but poseable...  Face it, any articulation they have is pretty much rendered moot.  They're as poseable as a 2002 Star Wars figure was, more or less.  The Governor doesn't look right in anything but his lazy boy recliner for instance.  Rick looks right shooting, but not much else.  Darryl looks right on the chopper and that's it.

If you want nice figures, just buy the 6" line ya know?  They're real figures, poseable, hyper detailed...  The playsets are neat, but what's the point of making it a "Lego" if you're not going to make it something you can really play with, set up differently, and have figures interact with it in ways besides a specific pose?  It's like this is trying real hard to be a detailed McFarlane figure in the realm of a Lego set which doesn't strive for hyper accuracy as much as playability generally.

There was a similar thing with the original LOTR line, and it bombed miserably.  Again, had they been basically TWD Mini-figures ala a Lego or Mega Blocks figure, or a Kreo type figure even (Mega Blocks would be my personal choice, as I think they've done amazing things with HALO, COD, etc.), I'd be all in on these I think.

Hell, Megablocks is even doing Zombies better!  Army builder packs, scenes of dilapidated buildings and things, all from COD's bonus game.

These are trying to be two different things it seems, and it doesn't work right I guess.  I love the TWD 6" line's looks, but I'd have bought into a TWD collectible block figure line of sets and figures, especially if they were a little better/less cute than a Lego figure I guess.  I'm always tempted to get a little pack of COD zombies when I pass them, just because I want a little hoard of zombies on my desk. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 21, 2014, 02:58 PM »
Bought a NYCC exclusive Jesus online yesterday. Had to have him.

On a side note I'm pretty upset with you McMetal. Can't believe you didn't mention this figure existed in this thread. I'm incapable of going elsewhere online to find anything out.  ;)

Here's some scoop: McF announced Abraham is coming in the next comic wave...they also teased a silhouette image of the other figures in the wave, looked like Carl and and not sure who else. Believe this was all via Facebook.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 23, 2014, 02:04 PM »
I saw the Prison building set unexpectedly at TRU yesterday, looks really nice. I didn't have the cash to drop on one at the moment but am definitely thinking of going back soon.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 26, 2014, 06:31 PM »
Score! I picked up all of TV Series 6 @ Gamestop today after work, minus long coat Governor, whom I believe is shipping separately at some later date. (He is the only figure not listed on their website either)

They all look amazing at first glance, and best of all they go on sale Black Friday for $10 apiece! (I was assured a price adjustment would be no problem if I came back in)

Happy hunting!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 28, 2014, 06:21 PM »
Just FYI, the Gamestop sale is now in effect, so Wd figures are $10, I got the price adjusted for the ones I bought Wednesday too.  :)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 7, 2014, 05:27 PM »
For anyone else who's been holding out (like me) the Prison Gate and Tower set is on sale for 30% off at TRU this week, along with the other 2 building sets as well. I made sure to let everyone know who might be inclined to give me a gift this year.  ;)

I also heard the MIA McFarlane Long Coat Governor figure is starting to show up at Walgreen's already. The hunt begins tomorrow...

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 8, 2014, 09:18 PM »
Finally found a Long Coat Governor at the 5th Walgreens on my list today. Also found they had all WD figures for $10 on sale this week - nice!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 13, 2014, 10:18 AM »
For anyone interested, I saw a few of the new Tv Series 6 figures at Target last night...Rick and the Bungee Guts Walker. Happy hunting!