Author Topic: NFL Offseason 2011  (Read 7389 times)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
NFL Offseason 2011
« on: March 11, 2011, 05:41 PM »
Well, looks like Sundays will be free this fall.

Hopefully the Colleges can change up their schedules a bit and play some Sunday games.

Feel free to discuss this, but keep the political rhetoric in the PIT.

Gotta suck to be a Junior in College who took money from an Agent...  OOPS.  From Bling to Sting....

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: NFL Offseason 2011
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 05:46 PM »
I've got possibly three games, every week, so I'll live. :)  That's hell enough on me as it goes, not to mention helping them condition at home if they want to, or work on their hands or footwork...  I'll miss the NFL on Sunday but I've got enough to fill the void for sure, and before you know it then you have the NHL back I guess.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 09:53 PM »
This was waiting in my e-mail inbox when I checked it just now:

Dear NFL Fan,

When I wrote to you last on behalf of the NFL, we promised you that we would work tirelessly to find a collectively bargained solution to our differences with the players' union. Subsequent to that letter to you, we agreed that the fastest way to a fair agreement was for everyone to work together through a mediation process. For the last three weeks I have personally attended every session of mediation, which is a process our clubs sincerely believe in.

Unfortunately, I have to tell you that earlier today the players' union walked away from mediation and collective bargaining and has initiated litigation against the clubs. In an effort to get a fair agreement now, our clubs offered a deal today that was, among other things, designed to have no adverse financial impact on veteran players in the early years, and would have met the players’ financial demands in the latter years of the agreement.

The proposal we made included an offer to narrow the player compensation gap that existed in the negotiations by splitting the difference; guarantee a reallocation of savings from first-round rookies to veterans and retirees without negatively affecting compensation for rounds 2-7; no compensation reduction for veterans; implement new year-round health and safety rules; retain the current 16-4 season format for at least two years with any subsequent changes subject to the approval of the league and union; and establish a new legacy fund for retired players ($82 million contributed by the owners over the next two years).

It was a deal that offered compromise, and would have ensured the well-being of our players and guaranteed the long-term future for the fans of the great game we all love so much. It was a deal where everyone would prosper.

We remain committed to collective bargaining and the federal mediation process until an agreement is reached, and call on the union to return to negotiations immediately. NFL players, clubs, and fans want an agreement. The only place it can be reached is at the bargaining table.

While we are disappointed with the union's actions, we remain steadfastly committed to reaching an agreement that serves the best interest of NFL players, clubs and fans, and thank you for your continued support of our League. First and foremost it is your passion for the game that drives us all, and we will not lose sight of this as we continue to work for a deal that works for everyone.

Yours,
Roger Goodell
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 12:04 AM »
Nice of him to contact you at least.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 09:29 AM »
Nice of him to contact you at least.

Now that's funny.   ;D
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 10:10 AM »
Oh well I don't care if they ever play again.  Bunch of babies, all of 'em.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 12:16 PM »

I will/would definitely miss football - its really the only pro sport that holds any appeal for me these days.  That said, I'm definitely soured on the players, owners, and the NFL in general with all this CB crap.  When you have players who make a minimum of several hundred thousand dollars per year and owners who are raking in hundreds of millions each season, its pretty hard to feel any compassion for either side.  ESPECIALLY given the unemployment rate, rising gas prices, a freaking catastrophy in Japan, etc.  How about everyone involved just keeps 90% of last year's pay and they funnel the remaining $5 billion into helping Japan?

Greedy bastards.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 03:18 PM »
I am just ignoring this for now (to keep my head from exploding). I'm sure each side has good arguments for their side. I don't care. You rich a$&h*$es make enough money. They better work it out and have at least a 14 game season.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 04:14 PM »

I will/would definitely miss football - its really the only pro sport that holds any appeal for me these days.  That said, I'm definitely soured on the players, owners, and the NFL in general with all this CB crap.  When you have players who make a minimum of several hundred thousand dollars per year and owners who are raking in hundreds of millions each season, its pretty hard to feel any compassion for either side.  ESPECIALLY given the unemployment rate, rising gas prices, a freaking catastrophy in Japan, etc.  How about everyone involved just keeps 90% of last year's pay and they funnel the remaining $5 billion into helping Japan?

Greedy bastards.

Wow, we agree on something.

I don't understand how they can feel slighted.  They bitch about health care and retirement benefits - you can't pay for that **** with your inflated salaries?!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 11:47 PM »
Why I don't mind the Vikes taking Ponder...it's obvious they tried hard to trade back and couldn't...Ponder is a huge reach at 12 but obviously wouldn't be there in the 2nd

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 08:31 AM »
Five years from now people are going to look back at this draft and say wow not a single QB chosen was ever remotely a star in the league. The teams that take QBs today may say oh well it was worth the chance, but teams like Carolina, MN, Jacksonville, Houston are gonna be angry at themselves and the coaches that get fired over it will really be angry with themselves.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 09:52 AM »
I agree...all of them have question marks.  I was kind of hoping they would have taken Fairley or the DE from Clemson as they really need D line help...I saw many mock drafts where they were taking Ponder or Dalton in the 2nd round.  I just don't see that happening.

I've seen lots of comparisons of Ponder to Aaron Rodgers with a little less arm strength.  Like you said, time will definitely tell

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 09:59 AM »
I believe I heard he compares to Chad Pennington. I bet the Jets wish they hadn't used such a high pick on him (that was the year Brady went 199 as a side note).

Arm strength is so important to me so "not a lot of arm strength" quotes on a number 12 pick. Ugh

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 04:53 PM »
Wasn't the right time for the Vikings to take a QB last year?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks