Author Topic: Mattel Batman  (Read 51606 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Mattel Batman
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2004, 04:05 PM »
I might be the only one not completely frustrated by the line and still collecting.  

Batman was and is my favorite DC character.  That said, Mattel is doing goofy MOTU style things to this line.  A single quasi-chase figure per series (Robin, Joker, Croc, Freeze) can make it frustrating.  Worse, after losing patience and paying too much, the good figures start showing up in two packs.  Robin (red version) has become available in a two pack with a Batman (can't remember whether it's the Zipline or blue version, both of which I have).  So if you still need and want Robin, now you have to buy another Batman figure with it, one you might already have ::)  Joker too is available in a two pack, but with one of those weird, purple deluxe Batman figures.  Blech.

I got the blue Batman with the Superman figure.  I do not like the deluxe or over-accessorized figures, though I am tempted by the white/arctic batman from the freeze wave.  It just looks...different.   :-\

I've had tremendously good luck with this line and I really don't think it's a) going to last b) quite as hard to find stuff, in most cases.  I've returned several Jokers and Robins back to stores because I simply couldn't trade them and would take a loss on ebay.  If I had the patience and held them, I could have probably made it worth my while.  I've got a green Robin in the trunk of my car that is likely destined for a return at Walmart any day now.  I've left at least three Killer Croc's on the pegs as well.  I've only ever seen one Freeze though and it was the chase version.  My regular version I got from a Canadian buddy out west.  But the Freeze wave is very uncommon here thus far, so I'm fairly  (over) confident I'll find more.  

Probably my biggest disappointment with the line is that there aren't enough villains and those that do appear are not the ones I had been hoping for.  Mostly because I'm more a fan of the comics than the movies or animated series I suppose.  Killer Croc and Freeze are fine, but I was hoping for the classics.  Two-face, Catwoman, Penguin, Riddler, Bane, Scarecrow, etc.  

I just don't expect the line to last long enough to produce all of those figures.  I would dearly love to have a well done catwoman figure, but I suppose time will tell.   :-X
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2004, 04:11 PM »
I agree with you Morgbug, I'd like to see a Catwoman, Riddler, Penguin, and Two-face as well.  Also, is there a site out there that has pics of all the figures released in this current Mattel line?  I remember checking them out in the visual guides at OfftheCard.com, but that site is gone now.  Just curious.

I'm wondering too if this line is going to last, especially once the new "The Batman" animated line comes out in the fall (ish) time.  I'm not sure if I'm going to buy more figures or not, but I'd like to.  I feel bad, because once I tell my wife I am for sure just focusing on Star Wars from now on...I get the urge to collect something else (smaller).  I have never been big on variants, so I'll probably just see what is out there for regular, different figure versions and go from there.

Thanks for the info Morgbug!

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
DC Direct Batman, too!
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2004, 04:30 PM »
If Mattel follows the current formula, you can expect a new villain maybe twice a year packed one per case with a platoon of similarly themed Bat-variants. Zipline Batman - the most comic accurate version so far - keeps finding its way back into assortments, but I suspect after seeing "Freeze" and "Croc" themed Batman figures, we can expect "Riddler" and "Two-Face" versions, too.

If you want comic accurate figures, check out DC Direct's line. They're twice the price, but no one else is going to offer a Penguin figure with a cigarette or a Bob Kane Batman from his first appearance. That and you can pre-order them from your local comic shop guy without worrying about shortpacking.

Very nice sculpts and generally better articulation than Mattel's line. Here are some more:

The Dark Knight Returns Batman
Hush Batman
Kingdom Come Batman
Just-Us League Batman
Silver Age Batman
SuperFriends! Batman
Post sober.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2004, 04:42 PM »
Oh yeah, DC Direct is infinitely better, no doubt.  I just wanted a cheap line that could approximately fit in with the Marvel Legends stuff.  This line does that, but your comments regarding the current formula are bang on.  For me, these individual figures are actually cheaper than Star Wars figures, so a bonus.  The formula is annoying, but frugal, so I take that as a positive, as someone that collects way too many stupid toys.  

Zipline is a great Batman and the one to own, from this line.  I'm actually pleasantly surprised to see it being continued on the various cards.  It actually seems like a smart move, unless one was trying to sell the original on ebay :P

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2004, 12:25 AM »
I have yet to find Croc, and I only found Freeze at KB before it closed.

Wal-Mart is supposed to have endcaps full of these, but that has yet to happen here and I doubt it ever will.

I'd like to see the Four Horsemen sculpt a Two-Face, but after reading what Mattel has in store for this line in 2004, this line will be dead and buried before that happens. >:(
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2004, 10:22 AM »
Yeah, I was wondering that too...what exactly is in store for this line in 2004?  Obviously Mattel has problems with case ratios, etc., and there seems to be more than enough different "bat-variants".  Is the line continuing at all, or is it done as soon as "The Batman" starts, sometime in the fall?

I have looked at some of the DC Direct stuff, and that stuff is really nice too.  Since I haven't had comics for quite some time, I don't really go in comic shops anymore...but their line of stuff really looks great too.  I'm kind of in line with Morgbug though, I was looking for a nicely done, cheaper line to collect.  I'd just like to have a small, nice looking Batman collection to have......and now that consists of Zipline Batman :P.  I guess I'll wait and see where this line is headed before I jump in, or just wait for the next line if it is done well.  I will admit, I do kind of like the look of the new Batman (from "The Batman"), so we will see.

What other non-Bat figures are in the 6" Mattel line?  There is a Robin, Freeze, Killer Croc, Joker, Superman, and Nightwing?  I wasn't sure, I haven't followed the line close enough, but I was just curious.  Thanks for all the help and advice everyone.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2004, 10:45 AM »
I've been really tempted to pick up a set of Super Friends figures my real love of DC stems from there and really there only, never got into their comics at all.  The other thing that does intrigue me is the JLA line, comic adaptations of the Super Friends which would fit in with Marvel Legends, I'm tempted but so far have waited ;)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2004, 10:54 AM »
That's a lot of what tempted me as well Scott.  The only DC comic I ever read growing up was Batman (or anything related to Batman), I was mainly a Marvel kid otherwise.  However, Bats is probably my favorite overall.  I really enjoyed watching the Super Friends growing up, and actually am somewhat interested in the newer Justice League show as well.  I have considered both the Super Friends and JLA lines from DC Direct because of that.  Also, sorry...one other question...have any of you been collecting the current Justice League line from Mattel?  I know it is riddled with variants as well, but what do you think of the regular figures if you have any of them?  I've been tempted a couple of times to get at least the "team".

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
Mattel Justice League
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2004, 11:56 AM »
I have "the team" all standing on their respective bases in my office. They're like poseable maquettes more than action figures, but they're very authentic, right down to the subtle differences in height.

I also picked up the Batman and Superman figures with added articulation. They're not too bad, but neither figure has pegholes in their feet which strikes me as pretty odd for a contemporary toy. I should have passed.

As with other superhero lines, I'm only collecting the screen- or comic-accurate versions, so it's not a huge strain on my wallet. But I refuse to pay full price even for an authentic figure that's part of a 2-pack including a weird variant. Those days are over.
Post sober.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 9, 2004, 01:03 PM »
Just thinking about the Mattel Batman line again today, have any of you heard any news if this line is even continuing beyond the current releases?  I don't think anything was shown at Toy Fair (besides the animated "The Batman" line), and I personally haven't heard of anything more either.  Its a shame, I really do like that Zipline Batman...too bad he doesn't have anyone to fight :P.  I wish it wasn't so difficult to have a Batman line with versions of Batman, the Joker, Mr. Freeze, Catwoman, Penguin, Riddler, Two Face, Clayface, Alfred, Robin, etc.  Hopefully the next Batman line will do a little better...eventually.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2004, 04:56 PM »
Well, made a decision.  I'm bailing out on this line.  Though I've been able to keep up with what I want pretty easily, with a clouded future and an odd assortment coming (if it is), I'm out.  A buddy locally needs the Killer Croc and Mr. Freeze, both of which I am not that attached to, so off I go.  

My daughter has the blue Batman to play with and I have Superman, Joker, red Robin and zipline Batman, so I'm good. If anyone needs anything but the zipline Bats, they're welcome to it.  

The line is just too slow in coming, too boring in terms of too many Batman figures and a limited future.   :-\

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2004, 11:32 AM »
I think I'm actually kind of leaning the same way Morgbug, although I never really got into this line (same with MOTU, a theme with Mattel-handled lines maybe?).  I got the Zipline Bats, and I thought that figure was so outstanding...and I looked into what else was out there.  I've always been a Batman fan, and thought it might be a nice "small" collection to have.  Then after I saw what was out there, the line's problems, and the possibility that it might almost be over...I kind of reconsidered.  I'm thinking about holding out to see what the next animated line has to offer.  I like these comic versions, but I just don't know if the line will last too much longer from the sounds of it.  And, seeing a collector of the line such as yourself give up on it says a lot to me to that maybe it isn't worth it to try to get into.  I'm happy with my Zipline Bats for now :).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2004, 11:35 AM by mosnab »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2004, 02:01 PM »
Anyone actively collecting anything Bats-related right now?  I really haven't been, although I have considered it from time to time.  Since I'm trying to actually "cut back" on figure purchases, I'm doing my best to stay away.  Anyone picking up the new animated series figures?  I have seen them around on toy runs, although I haven't really looked too closely at them.  The Batmobile they have out doesn't look too bad though, and we almost picked it up for our nephews, looks like it would be fun.  I actually happened to catch the new "The Batman" animated series last Saturday, and it wasn't too bad.  It was definitely no "Batman: The Animated Series", but I guess it was nice to see Bats have his own show on Saturday mornings again.  Plus, I'd rather kiddos watch something like this than Poke-Yu-Gi-Duel Masters Supremo show.  Plus, I always enjoy a good superhero cartoon now and then.

Anyways, reading comments the other day on the forums (between Scott and Brent if I remember right), talking about Batmobiles, made me think of the Batman line again.  He was my other favorite hero, outside of Spidey, growing up...and really outside of the Justice League/Superfriends stuff, the main DC hero I was into as a kid.  I will admit I am looking forward to the movie next year too, hopefully it won't disappoint.  Just wondering if anyone out there is collecting anything Bats (maybe the animated line is all that is new right now, not sure), or if you are considering it in the future?  Or even, what does your current collection consist of (did you collect the original B:TAS stuff, etc.?).

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2004, 10:48 PM »
I saw a Killer Croc at Target on Friday, but didn't even bother picking it up to look at it.

I'm trying to never buy another Mattel product ever again. I'd love nothing more than to see those ******* go out of business and choke on their Barbies and Hot Wheels.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2004, 09:16 AM »
Here here, ToyFare has been ripping on them for a few months now and hopefully they can wake up and smell the coffee, who would have thunk there were bigger idiots than the people who work at Hasbro in the Toy Industry?