Author Topic: Mattel Batman  (Read 51598 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Mattel Batman
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2005, 08:46 AM »
I saw those pics yesterday, and I wasn't really overly impressed either.  I always planned to pick up a "basic" Batman, and I hope to still do that as long as there is a decent one out.  The villains are a possibility too, we'll have to see how much I like the line/movie.  I think I read that these are 5" scale, which kind of bothers me because they'll be smaller than the Batman comic line as well as the ML and DC Direct scales.  I agree Ben, I really wonder if Mattel has any idea with their action figure lines anymore.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2005, 01:56 PM »
Julius Marx has some pics up of an upcoming "Deluxe" Batman from the comic line (that will continue to be sold overseas, still up in the air here in the states), that has added articulation.  Lots of info and photos at the above link, looks kind of neat.  I'm out of the Batman stuff, but might consider picking up one more nice Batman, if they make him near Marvel Legends-style, or maybe a movie figure if its decent.  Anyways, pics above, here's a sample:

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2005, 04:41 PM »
Why is his head so small?  Perspective?  Anyhoo, still not loving this line, but what do you do with it after you have it?  I'm happy having them, but in no way do these hold a candle to ML.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2005, 04:54 PM »
I was finally able to find a JLU Atom at a Target.  He's a terrific figure.  They also had the new 3 packs.  I picked up the Superman/Amazo/Starman pack.  I might grab the Red Tornado pack later.  I'd really like to see them make Black Canary into a figure.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2005, 02:04 PM »
Some Batman Begins toys have turned up on ebay.  I doubt I'll be buying this line, perhaps a single "normal" Batman, but we'll see. From what I've read, these are 5" in scale, which I don't understand at all.  Anyways, for pics of a few of the figures carded, hit the ebay auctions above, while they last.  The "regular" Bats is up over $200 with 3 days remaining already.  Why do people do this?  They'll be $6-8 and probably quite plentiful in a couple of months here.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2005, 02:13 PM »
That is an excellent question Brian, why indeed.  That's just plain nutty really.  $200+ for something that's destined for clearance in less than a year :o  Wackiness ensues.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2005, 02:17 PM »
Hm. 5" scale.

Why not 6"? That seems to be the industry standard.

But it's Mattel. Stupid choices are their forte.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2005, 03:58 PM »
I ran across a handful of Batman Begins figures at Wal-Mart this morning while picking up the Clone Wars DVD.  I decided to pick up the "normal" Batman figure (which is called "Battle Gear Batman").  I haven't had a chance to open it yet, but it looks like a pretty nice figure...for Mattel.  The articulation is better for them, but nowhere near the level of Toy Biz's work.  Plus, the 5" scale does bug me, it would be nice to have it in line with the Marvel movie properties.  I don't think I'll be picking up any others, but I did want to get one nice movie version of Batman, and this looked like the best I have seen.  Not a bad figure (from what I can see in the package), but Toy Biz just does a much better job with their superheroes.  That said, if you are on the lookout for these, they must be popping up...because they are here in Nebraska :).

Offline Talon_Karrde

• Jedi Initiate
  • NO! This one goes here; and that one goes here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2005, 04:40 PM »
These are currently showing up in Europe with a slated appearence in the states around June.  I have heard alot of great things about these from folks that have them in hand.

This is my avatar. Talon Karrde

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2005, 12:04 AM »
Not bad at all.  I am glad to hear that Diamond will be offering the Scarecrow and Bane at least.  I wish they would offer MOTU the same way.  Jerks.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2005, 12:48 AM »
Picked up Scarecrow and Battle Gear Batman at Wal-Mart today.

I don't know who sculpted them, but IMO, they did a pretty kick-ass job. The Batman looks better than the movie pics I've seen thus far, and Scarecrow is one creepy-looking screwhead.

I didn't see very many Scarecrow figures, since there was about seven or so different Batman variants, and they were there in force.

I guess they're in the 5" scale to fit in better with the animated toys currently on shelves, or to be in scale with the old Kenner movie Batman toys. Whichever. Likely the former.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2005, 08:39 AM »
Our Wal-Mart didn't have the Scarecrow fig (or likely, I missed it), what do you think of it Ben?  I've been debating whether or not to pick it up.  I don't want to get deep into this line, but I kind of like to have a basic Batman, and then one each of the bad guys.  We'll see.  I still haven't opened the Bats I picked up yet, but from what I can see, I agree, it seems to be sculpted quite well.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2005, 09:54 AM »
I have been looking for a Bane figure just because I think it looks awesome, buti just read in toyfair they are only out in Australia? Anyone else have any info on this?
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2005, 01:37 PM »
Guess I'll have to start watching Wally Worlds for that Scarecrow, then.  Thanks for the tip.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2005, 02:51 PM »
Honestly, I wish I wouldn't have bought the Scarecrow.

It just looks like a piece of crap once you get it off the card.

It doesn't look like a modern figure at all. It looks like something that was made in 1994, aesthetically.
The action feature spins his head around, for what, I don't yet know.
And there's a stupid water-squirting gun that will likely not work too well.