Author Topic: Mattel Batman  (Read 51600 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Mattel Batman
« on: July 30, 2003, 03:48 PM »
Another impulse buy today was the latest Mattel Batman (The Zipline version)

What a great figure this is, sculpted by the Four Horseman (Same guys who do MOTU) it looks like the Batman people have wanted forever.  Looking at what else is in the line though makes me cringe...

A line I probably won't collect but a figure I couldn't pass up!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Mattel Batman
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2003, 05:02 PM »
Funny, I was thinking the same thing when I recently saw some pics online of the Zipline Batman, its not a figure line I want to get into, but I thought about picking this particular one up, just because it is so well done.  Plus, I always had a Batman fig when I was a kid.

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2003, 01:38 AM »
the line will seemingly hav a lot of bad guys, so i'm happy about that.

and we'll be getting a batgirl sometime next tot he robin we already got, oh  and a nightwing.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2003, 10:52 AM »
I also found Joker last night and couldn't refuse.  The Four Horseman just rule in their sculpting.  So...I will probably buy a Robin as well and be done with it  :-*

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 4, 2003, 11:15 AM »
I picked up the Batman Nightwing 2 pack the other day. It's pretty cool. The Superman Batman 2 pack looks good too.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 4, 2003, 11:36 AM »
I hate to consistently say this, but Canada sucks for toys.  If I get to see these, it will probably be in October.  That's if they come here.  

I'll be in Cincinnati then too, so I'll probably find some stuff, but the first waves are likely to be gone.  And it's nice seeing pics, but I can never really tell if I want something by the pics.  I like to have the sense of scale and see how the paint it and all that sort of stuff.  Droid Factory R2 is my case in point.  I really liked the pictures, but once I had him in my hands, the paint was dull, it didn't look quite "right".  I don't even really want to keep this guy.  

Sigh.  Such is the life of being a toy collector in the wrong country.  Thanks for letting me whine.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 4, 2003, 12:05 PM »
I hate to consistently say this, but Canada sucks for toys.

Sigh.  Such is the life of being a toy collector in the wrong country.  Thanks for letting me whine.

Really! I didn't notice!  ;D  I'm with ya on the whining part!  ;)  :'(

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 5, 2003, 09:42 PM »
I saw the new Batmobile today.  I can't believe they're already putting out vehicles!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 6, 2003, 02:59 PM »
And a Batcycle with a dedicated figure! Yippee!

Mattel has actually found a way to fit more Suck into this toy line than Hasbro. There is exactly ONE Batman figure worth getting. Nothing against the Four Horsemen of course, they're just guns for hire. They do a great job of polishing a turd. It's Mattel's lame concepts that need to be scrapped.

This line needs diversity. Batman has a rich history of costumes and characters. USE IT. Make two or three AUTHENTIC Batman figures with oodles of articulation and instead of retiring them in six months, reissue them in new assortments with other characters.

Gimme a modern Batman figure with characters from "Hush" like Catwoman and Huntress. Gimme a Frank Miller Batman with a Carrie Kelly Robin and Mutant Leader. Heck, gimme a Batman Returns Batman with a movie accurate Penguin and Catwoman.

Are good ideas so hard to come up with at the Mattel offices? Are their heads so deeply entrenched between Barbie's™ perfect butt cheeks that they can't possibly watch a TV or read a comic? (Or visit the DC message boards?)
Post sober.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #9 on: August 7, 2003, 01:11 AM »
What pisses me off is that I've found these at three different stores, and have yet to find a Zipline Batman. I don't hold much hope of finding a Joker (or any villain for that matter) so I'm not to worried about this line. I just wish they could pull their heads out of their collective a$$es there at Mattel and just distribute the products evenly. But, if they did that, places like he-man.org would actually be a pleasure to visit.

OK, that was my rant for the day.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2003, 11:31 PM »
Amazingly, not so long after my whining ::)  this stuff showed up in force too (see LOTR minis).  

I ordered the Batman/Superman two pack, Zipline Batman and Robin fig online and a few days later I find everything.  

I scored two Robins last night, so if anyone wants one, LMK.  Today I found a Joker and it appears we have a card bender about.  Pretty funny really, but it's cool by me because I'll be opening it.  I've been finding Zipline Batmans pretty regularly over the past couple of days, so if you need one of those, LMK.  

On another DC line note, on the extreme outside chance you need the Justice League Flash or Wonderwoman, I have those for trade too.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2003, 08:58 PM »
I got the Batman exclusive at Wizard World in Chicago.  Got it signed by the 4 Horsemen, too.  Strangely, though, I don't collect Batman.  Impulse buy on my part.

Feedback

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2003, 12:04 PM »
How tall is the Batman figure? Is it 7"?

The Hush Batman figures look really cool too. The Poison Ivy and Joker in particular. I'm still hoping for a really cool Catwoman figure....Grrrrr.....  8)
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2003, 09:53 PM »
The Batman I got in Chicago is the same scale as the new versions that Mattel has just put out.  Think of the zipline Batman, but in the classic gray and blue outfit.

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2003, 12:50 AM »
I believe it's classified as a six inch figure yes?  I only got it after a friend showed me pics that indicated it wasn't grossly out of scale with Marvel Legends.  I'm much more of a Marvel fan, but Batman, Supes from this line and the Joker and Robin were all appealing.  

They basically have to do a Catwoman figure, don't they ;)