Author Topic: Realistic Battlepacks... Make Up What You Want!  (Read 12952 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Realistic Battlepacks... Make Up What You Want!
« on: March 17, 2011, 09:17 PM »
Just thought this would be fun to discuss...  Make up whatever, between Ultimate or regular packs, kind of trying to stay within the basic guidelines Hasbro has set with BP's in past precedents.

Right off the bat...

-Yavin War Room...  New Dodonna, Yavin Technician Commander (Tech with the Fleet trooper style tan shirt) w/headset, Leia (or Fleet Trooper Head variant), & light-up War Room Table (or swap out one of the previous figures for the table).

-Yavin Ceremony...  Proper Ceremony Han, Ceremony Luke with proper skin color, Ceremony Leia (would be nice, but it'd be a new figure I'd assume), Rebel Officer (Honor Guard with new head & hat, more brown color).

-Yavin Base...  2x Fleet Trooper (2 Head Variants), Crow's Nest Accessory, Hangar Technician w/Light Wands & Han's Money/Box dealies

-Death Star Escape...  VOTC Han w/Stormtrooper Belt ala the new Luke, Repack new Vintage Luke, Chewbacca w/Stormtrooper blaster rifle, Leia

I'm always up for weird ideas...  This kind of popped into my head thanks to some other Battlepack talk, so share what you're thinking too.  Realistic packs aren't really likely anyway, but it's fun to speculate.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Realistic Battlepacks... Make Up What You Want!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 11:47 PM »
Detention Block Rescue: Luke and Han in Stormtrooper disguises with ball jointed hips, Imperial security officer (accurate one with holster), Death Star Trooper (one that sucks less).

Bespin Junk Room Rescue: Ugnaught (new head sculpt), "white" IG-88, Chewbacca, C-3PO in pieces.

Rebel Briefing (ROTJ): Rebel Officer, Mon Mothma update, Admiral Ackbar (new more opened mouthed head sculpt), another one of those Dressellians or somebody or maybe that nifty center table that's too big to make.

Jabba Palace Scuffle: Luke Skywalker, Gammorean Guard, Ishi Tibb, Beedo

Geonosian Defense: Geonosian warrior, sonic cannon (they never made), Geonosian drone

Yavin Briefing with the four guys in the front row.  :P

Never noticed that sinister black astromech back there.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 11:48 PM by scockery »

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 07:52 AM »
Hey, this is a cool topic. SO the first thing that popped into my head is this:
Tatooine Dune Sea Conflict - with two of the VSC Tuskens, repack of one of the recent R2's, either a Luke or Obi-wan and possibly a NEW Tatooine damaged C-3PO.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 09:03 AM »
Meh, something with NO re-packs would really be more of a step in the right direction, IMO. 4 all new figures.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 10:33 AM »
(FYI - My BP sets are pure collector indulgence)

Imperial Curfew on Mos Eisley 
- Ackmena
- Y'Bith
- Ket Maliss
- Solomahal

Officers of the Empire

- Scanning Crew with V2 Head and Crate
- Admiral Ozzel (Needa body with a new head, choke hand and badge)
- Death Star Trooper (Gray + New head)
- Imperial Officer (Scanning Crew member in all Black)

Shadows of the Empire
- Vintage Luke Jedi with new Vest
- Leebo
- Snoova
- Lando in Imperial Armor
(Assuming the RS Curto Confirmation rumor of Guri and Dash coming this year)

Yavin Ceremony
- Leia Ceremony
- Luke Yavin (New head and actual skin color)
- Chewbacca (Screaming Tin pack version witout Snow deco)
- Han ceremony (Corrected)

Fighting Facial Hair of the Rebellion
- General Bob Hudsol
- General Jan Dodonna
- Porkins
- Biggs Pilot (On taller SA X-Wing body)

Life Day

- Chewbacca (early bird) with soft goods red robe
- Lumpy
- Maala
- Itchy
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 04:21 PM »
Meh, something with NO re-packs would really be more of a step in the right direction, IMO. 4 all new figures.

Which is highly unlikely given the precedents set by Hasbro for battlepacks...  You usually get repaints, some new parts on an old body, etc.  If new basics are $8.99 each, and battlepacks are $25-ish...  It's kind of unrealistic to expect 4 new figures in a set.

That's part of the purpose of the topic...  Creative thinking to make something people (or at least collectors) want, which also fits precedents for battlepacks like re-using molds, limited new tooling, etc.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 04:40 PM »
That's part of the purpose of the topic...  Creative thinking to make something people (or at least collectors) want, which also fits precedents for battlepacks like re-using molds, limited new tooling, etc.

I will revise my sets to fit this....
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 06:52 PM »
Hmm, let's see here.

Battle of Geonosis:
- Episode II Clone (TVC or Legends)
- Super Battle Droid (from the Target Geonosis sets)
- Geonosian Warrior (from Target 2 packs)
- Battle Droid or Droideka

Assault on Endor:
- VOTC Stormtrooper
- VTSC Biker Scout
- TVC Rebel Commando
- Generically painted Ewok

Flee from Hoth:
- Beardless Hoth Rebel Soldier (x2)
- Snowtrooper (x2)

Escape from Docking Bay 94:
- VOTC Han
- Sandtrooper (x2)
- Garindan (kitbash using TSC upper body and legs from one of the newer Jedi Lukes)

Bespin Hallway Shootout:
- TVC Bespin Luke
- TVC R2-D2
- TVC Boba Fett
- Lt. Sheckill (Captain Needa with new head)
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 12:15 AM »
Their packs would probably rise to $40 a pop nowadays.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 01:45 AM »
I'm all for packs  of 4 new figures, dont' get me wrong, but it just strikes me as kind of unrealistic thinking is all...  Hasbro's not going to deliver 4 new figures for anything much short of $40 because that's the basic line's price.

I can see 1 all-new figure per pack, maybe. 

But look at the Resurgence of the Jedi pack for what I think Hasbro actually tries to give you...  A good Ben, a repaint of R2 people wanted, a decent accessory or extra figure, and the partially new Luke.  And people loved it.

The Endor sets are sort of similar too...  And as sets go, I was into those ones, but they didn't do so well.  The days of new figures in battlepacks are dead though...  It's cool to think about what we could get though, it just isn't even in the realm of possibility of happening it seems.   :-\  Unless the prices stay the same and packs go to 3 figures a set...  Even then, they're still cheaper than 3 new basic figures, which leads me to believe even that scenario ain't likely to hit shelves any time soon.

Now a pack of new figures as some kind of high-priced exclusive?  I can buy that a little more...  Especially if it's something Hasbro could break up and sell individually down the road.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 03:20 AM »
Their packs would probably rise to $40 a pop nowadays.

That's true, huh... TVC figures are more or less $11 these days, with SL and TCW close behind at around $10... yup, BPs aren't worth it to me anymore, especially considering they're mostly rehashed garbage... now, if Hasbro manages to pull off another set like "Resurgence of the Jedi" or the "Yavin Scramble", then I'll (ever reluctantly) spend the money.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 05:28 PM »
You usually get repaints, some new parts on an old body, etc.  If new basics are $8.99 each, and battlepacks are $25-ish...  It's kind of unrealistic to expect 4 new figures in a set.

Ok, repaints and kitbashing is the next best thing to "new" so that would be fine w/me. I just don't want to see any more straight repacks of previously carded figures, which I realize is not the direction they are heading with these things.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 01:53 AM »
I'd prefer the same, but with Clone Wars (that's why I was aiming this more at the Vintage/realistic audience), they're selling to kids...  A "theme" in a box is what they're going for, generally.  That, or army building Clones...  But usually it's that theme.  Hasbro calls it a "play pattern".  Something that makes a nice tidy gift, basically.

For realistic packs, I think Resurgence is a grand example...  I'm wondering if we'll ever see anything like the Yavin set.  That's maybe the last time I can think of a totally new figure gracing a pack at all.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 09:56 AM »
I'd prefer the same, but with Clone Wars (that's why I was aiming this more at the Vintage/realistic audience), they're selling to kids...  A "theme" in a box is what they're going for, generally.  That, or army building Clones...  But usually it's that theme.  Hasbro calls it a "play pattern".  Something that makes a nice tidy gift, basically.

For realistic packs, I think Resurgence is a grand example...  I'm wondering if we'll ever see anything like the Yavin set.  That's maybe the last time I can think of a totally new figure gracing a pack at all.

Nah, there have been a few new figures in Battle Packs this year. The Soda Can droid and ARC Troopers were both totally new. Granted, they were Clone Wars figures, but they were released in the BP assortment. Now it seems like we're back to repacks until the next "big" product push... hopefully we'll see some new stuff included in BPs.

Another thing to remember about the Scramble on Yavin set is that a lot of other BPs also included new figures and/or accessories. Jabba the Hutt, the Gunship Pods, the fat Trandoshan guy, and the AT-TE tank gunner were released in Battle Packs around the same time. So it seems like new stuff in Battle Packs happens in small bursts.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 03:27 PM »
Some new, but realistic is in the tank, and I wonder if some of those packs weren't intended for something closer to when they were more relevant, like the Christophsis set.  I really would love seeing a return to some interesting realistic sets...  Was thinking today how nice it'd be to get some kind of Taun-Taun set.  It seemed like a neat way to introduce beasts into the line...  almost the only way really, without a special packaged item that'd likely wind up being an exclusive.