Author Topic: Lando in ROTJ  (Read 6121 times)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Lando in ROTJ
« on: March 20, 2011, 11:25 PM »
I was watching ROTJand I have a question that sadly will require EU to flesh out.

In his skiff disguise, is Lando part of a certain distinct race or species?  The other human guards seem to have the same breastplate and other likenesses.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Lando in ROTJ
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 12:09 AM »
I can only imagine Shadows of the Empire is the only story that covers anything about Lando's disguise...  I don't recall reading anything specific about why the humans have that same breastplate, but you're right Paul that a number of human guards all have the same bit of armor.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 05:32 PM »
Shadows is silent on the Audiobook version. (See what I did there?)  I listened to it on the plane to and from Disney last week.

But since each incarnation of Shadows of the Empire told part or a version of the story it could, but the Audio book doesn't give us any clue.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 09:20 PM »
Hmmm... 

I mean the obvious answer is whoever was doing the props just molded off a couple more of those, and they fit the more typical human build, but I can't honestly think of any sources saying anything about why humans had on similar armor...

It'd be easy to say though, that like the Gammoreans who are all dressed the same, that it's something of a uniform for the human guards...  Maybe issued by Jabba's own armory even, but it could be the humans are their own group too...  Helmets have sime similarities too (I think the guy who shoots Luke's hand, and Lando's bucket, are similar at least...  Frozec may be sporting parts of the same headgear.

The whole Rodian thing always weirded me out...  They love that green racing jumpsuit with the stripe, and a tan vest of some sort.  They're like Nacy's closet from Nancy & Sluggo.  You just expect the same outfit times 12 hanging up in any Rodian's wardrobe.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 11:52 PM »
I don't think there's any official mention of it, but it would make sense that the guards wear similar uniforms.  Jabba has a pretty big organization - you wouldn't want everyone running around in their own outfits unless they had ID cards or badges or something to indicate their position.  Of course, that then begs the question why other races don't wear the same or similar uniforms...maybe there are just more humans, so there is more need to distinguish human guards?  Or maybe the "guards" are all wearing these uniforms and Jabba has other henchmen (mainly non-human) who wear whatever they want.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline warinthefloor

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 3, 2012, 02:27 PM »
I always considered Lando and Jabba just knew each other and Lando shows up like,
"yo, empire cramped my flow, gotta gig for an old scoudrel?..I mean I DID turn Han over to Boba for you and all..."
thugging scoundrelin and gangsterin is usually a small world.

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #6 on: May 5, 2012, 01:54 PM »
I always considered Lando and Jabba just knew each other and Lando shows up like,
"yo, empire cramped my flow, gotta gig for an old scoudrel?..I mean I DID turn Han over to Boba for you and all..."
thugging scoundrelin and gangsterin is usually a small world.

That makes a lot of sense since Han knew and worked for jabba, and Lando was Han's old gambling buddy. 

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 6, 2012, 04:39 PM »
Depends on how much EU you follow.  Han and Lando apparently had a lot of capers together, so Jabba would probably know Lando's loyalty lies more with Han.  I think Fett would probably fill Jabba in on how things went down on Cloud City as well.  Jabba probably doesn't do his own hiring - Bib or someone probably handles that.  Maybe Lando used a connection that way to get a job, or maybe they even had Luke pop up and convince someone to give him the job initially. 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 6, 2012, 05:24 PM »
Maybe Jabba knew Lando, but he was still "in disguise" so he was unrecognizable... otherwise, he wouldn't have needed the helmet or the scene where he pulls the mask down to the audience.

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #9 on: May 8, 2012, 11:49 PM »
Oh, good point about Fett being there as well!  I guess Lando would definitely be hiding from him, at least.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 04:56 PM »
Wow...I guess I've never thought about it, but that does make Boba Fett seem like a complete moron. Of course, I've always gone with the idea that Boba Fett is a bigger meathead than the EU makes him out to be.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 05:23 PM »
Jabba's got a pretty big operation and I doubt Fett hung out a lot with lowly guards.  He's a contractor, not staff.  I'd even bet he wasn't at the palace most of the time.  I can easily believe they would barely cross paths, so I dont know why you think this makes Fett a meathead?

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 08:48 PM »
My sourcebook just says he was disguised as a "guard" but I believe he has a cameo in Tales from Jabba's Palace that gives just a tidbit more info.