Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season Four Discussion Thread  (Read 107174 times)

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: The Clone Wars - Season Four Discussion Thread
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2011, 09:01 PM »
 I won't debate Tartakovsky's style much, other than not caring for some of his character designs (I could same the same for the current Clone Wars, too) and the exaggeration of force powers. Some of his action scenes are quite cool. But  storywise, the only segment that mattered (besides the introduction of Grievous, which is muddled by the inconsitencies between CW and ROTS versions of the character), was the attack on Coruscant, that leads into ROTS (and was far better than the opening battle/rescue of ROTS that follows it...I'm definately giving Tartakovsky credit there.)

Anyone could argue that parts of Filoni's series don't matter much or don't mesh with the movies. I'd probably agree with them on some points.

Final note: Best thing about the micro-series is that they f-ing killed off Asajj Ventress without dragging that weak ass storyline way past its due. Filoni seems completely unable or unwilling to kill any villains in his series, just good guys. So as a result you have a whole universe of major league scumbags walking around that have somehow scattered into the woodwork prior to ROTS.

The microseries didn't kill Ventress off concretely enough for other folks not to reuse her. 

Ventress and Durge were one-note disposable characters. It's only  Filoni's Clone Wars use of Ventress that makes her anything to me. Before that she was an EU baddie that as far real canon goes, might as well have never existed Durge was created to replace Jango, then offed immediately...dispite being harder to kill than most life forms (yeah, he came back in a comic book...I don't care).  Filler characters until Grievous comes along, only existing because we can't have the Jedi battling movie characters, that would mess with the flow of the next film (Oops...someone forgot to tell Filoni and Company...."I'm twice as powerful as when we last met, Dooku!"....."Ah, yes on Tatooine...no, I mean when were prisoners of those space pirates..."  :P)

Also the microseries' battle droid voices were better.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 09:17 PM by scockery »

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2011, 05:15 PM »
Filler characters until Grievous comes along, only existing because we can't have the Jedi battling movie characters, that would mess with the flow of the next film (Oops...someone forgot to tell Filoni and Company...."I'm twice as powerful as when we last met, Dooku!"....."Ah, yes on Tatooine...no, I mean when were prisoners of those space pirates..."  :P)

There better not be anymore Grievous vs. Obi-Wan duels. It's very old. I can count 3+ duels between them in the TCW series already.

There better be something special about the upcoming Anakin vs. Dooku duel. Maybe Anakin has a dark side moment and is about to deliver the killing blow but is interrupted somehow. That would make the duel in ROTS even better.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2011, 07:27 PM »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2011, 02:50 PM »
I noticed what seems to be the BARC w/Sidecar in the new CW trailer...  Interesting.  Wonder if it was cut from an episode but still got the toy?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2011, 07:45 PM »
I am hoping Friday night's double feature has the same sizzle that last year's season 3 opener had. The Akbar water war episode should give us a nice heavy action start to the season. The dud factor may be higher with the gungans in the second episode. As long as Filoni does not waste six episodes in the middle of the season on Senate deliberations we should be in for a good ride.

can't wait

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2011, 10:40 AM »
As long as Filoni does not waste six episodes in the middle of the season on Senate deliberations we should be in for a good ride.

Agreed.......
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2011, 10:34 PM »
The young leader stepping up to the plate plot never ceases to make me  ::) .  (Notice how all these Star Wars planets are monarchies?)

The Mon Calamari and Quarren seem like a population of maybe a mid-sized Earth city. Sure, this was just one major city, but there's a lack of a  sense of a global scale conflict there, especially when the highest ranking officer is "Captain Ackbar".

Apparently animating Boss Nass wasn't in the budget. WEESA OVERSA BOMBAD BUDGET! "Heesa retired!"

How the Gungan energy balls work underwater without...we may never know.  :P (I have no idea how they work on land anyway...ion weapons? EMPs?)

Jar Jar hugging Meena. Ha!

Kit Fisto got his green butt kicked by Jabberjaw.  Wow. Tartakovsky was much kinder to him.

I found it all pretty so-so. But I was tired when I watched it.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 10:36 PM by scockery »

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2011, 10:51 PM »
Yeah, Filoni has no respect for the Jedi, they are constantly getting their asses handed to them in this series. Tartakovsky really went the other way, emphasizing their almost godlike powers.

I enjoyed the episodes but they should have edited this whole arc down to one hour. I assume there is at least one more episode next week to wrap everything up.

Rik Enson seems like it would be a hard figure to do, but it's a given. No doubt on the Aqua Clone Warriors coming too. Would also like to see animated Ackbar and a Quarren.

The little underwater skiff seems like it should be made by now, we've seen that a few times. Could fit well in the Deluxe line.

Good stuff overall, didn't blow me away, but solid.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2011, 11:17 PM »
Didn't get to watch, was at varsity ballgame tonight, but anxious to watch tomorrow or Sunday evening.  Trying to stay kind of away from the "spoiler" thing.  :)  Hope this is a good opener though.  They really need to make up for last year's sort of slow season.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2011, 12:30 AM »
Where do you guys catch these online? Are they on SW.com, Hulu or do you download them?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2011, 04:14 AM »
Where do you guys catch these online? Are they on SW.com, Hulu or do you download them?

With last season, the episodes were put up on SW.com the Monday following their release.

Not disappointing, but definitely not on the scale of last season's opening. To be honest, I'm tired of seeing Anakin and Obi-Wan thrown into every battle there is (good thing Obi wasn't in it, but yeah). It's very redundant. I don't get why Padme was there to begin with.

Like someone said above, this battle didn't feel like a global conflict. The shark baddie design was odd, I'll be happy when this arc is over.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2011, 11:19 AM »
I don't get why Padme was there to begin with.

The animators just thought she'd look hot in a wetsuit.  :)

One other thing I wondered is the lack of a space  conflict near Mon Calamari (like Christophsis and Ryloth). Both sides just figured...let the other side land troops...what the hey.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2011, 11:27 AM »
I was kind of underwhelmed too.  The visuals were pretty good, but I got tired of the sense that they filmed the thing in a bathtub.  If it's so cloudy down there, why are your glass tube things so clear?

The strategy in the battles has never made sense and it doesn't here.  The Gungans were kind of cool, but of course you had to have some requisite stupidity "Thinkin time is done!"  Lots of toy potential, but like with Geonosis there's a missed opportunity in leaving Rex in this case on the sidelines and not in his own scuba gear (why didn't Rex or Cody wear camo during Geonosis like everyone else?).

Anyway, it was ok.

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2011, 04:07 PM »
I have to agree I was a bit underwhelmed also...Oh my! Count Dooku is going to go back on his word! This would have played out much better as a 44 minute pure battle with less of a focus on diplomacy.

I am hoping that when I get a chance to watch it again it will be better.

Offline darth_sidious

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2011, 11:21 PM »
I love Mon Cals, they are one of my favorite species, so in that respect I thought the season 4 pilot was pretty good just because we were thrown into that world again.  I'm a bit tired of Dooku and most of the Separatists - I wish Sidious would do more in the series.  I'd love to see more dark elements, like the Nightsisters returning.  One of, if not the worst Separatist is that ridiculous Shark that was straight out of the animated movie "Shark Tale" - what a horrendous concept.