Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season Four Discussion Thread  (Read 107190 times)

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
Re: The Clone Wars - Season Four Discussion Thread
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2011, 01:53 AM »
The submarine battle showed great improvisation of mini rigs, many like sledges.

Jettser species is an aquatic turtle

Almost all non human in the spot are anphibius, it lacked some gungans.

Seems like they caught some accuracy in the underwater movements of the characters, cause when fighting, the H2O element tends to ralentize or slow action.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2011, 08:41 AM »
Yeah, the new scenes look incredible, the visuals in this show are just amazing.

I asked the question on the Blog Cast last night if this battle was supposed to replace the Tartakovsky continuity but I was of course ignored.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2011, 05:45 PM »
Caught an interview on Sirius XM's Comic Con radio with Dee Bradley Baker (Clones) & Cat Taber (Padme, night sister) today.  They were pretty tight-lipped about season 4.  But they did let SOME details slip.

Dee mentioned that General Krell (same species as Dexter Jettster) has a 4 part story arc with the Clones, and how his story with these Clone Troopers shapes their perceptions of their place in the war/galaxy. 

The Mon Calamari arc with Ackbar will be a 3 episode story arc.  Ackbar appears, as mentioned in the panel.  Both actors said they were really impressed with the way the water effects looked in the episodes.

Cat Taber confirmed that the Night sisters return, and she plays one of them.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2011, 05:37 AM »
I'm pretty excited for the continuation of the Nightsisters arc. It'll no doubt go out with a bang if Savage's story ends this season. Which I'm hoping it won't. Maybe he has a climatic face-off with Ahsoka as the series finale?

I'm stunned that the panel at SDCC didn't include a new trailer, like last year's! Oh well, the new season is approaching, anyway. 
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 5, 2011, 10:07 AM »
Extended Season 4 trailer

1. A guy like Desan working for Dooku. (lizard character)
2. Grieevous still fighting Jedi without telekinesis power.
3. Best depiction of Rex and clones in animated 3D style.
4. Mon  Calamari guys very naif in depiction... fans can appreciate
 more their ondulatory moves on water scenes.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2011, 09:27 PM »
Not a specific season question, but does anyone know if there is a guide to what is G rated within the Clone Wars episodes and what is PG?  My 4-year old has been bugging me to watch "Star Wars" (Clone Wars cartoons) and we've watched a few from season 1 & 2 DVDs, but I can only clearly remember a few of these being both entertaining and G rated.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2011, 11:12 AM »
Another trailer has been posted.  Check out The Clone Wars Season 4 "Battle Lines" Trailer

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2011, 02:23 PM »
Kind of digging all the trailers we've seen so far.  I have to admit, while I still enjoyed it, I was one who was a little down on last season as well (just seemed a little slower than Seasons 1 or 2, still some good stuff though).  That being said, really looking forward to Season 4.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2011, 03:01 PM »
I don't think people really grasped the concept of Season 3 (Secrets Revealed) until later on in the season.  It wasn't until then that it became clear that they were trying to tell some of the backstory to plot points that had been explored in both Season 1 & 2.  Plus, the political stories didn't really translate well to the animated series.  Perhaps it was intended to be that transitional point for the eventual shift towards the ROTS era?

Season 4, OTOH, seems dark and forboding.  I gather that some of the darker settings are the Umbara storyline.  And the Mon Calamari scenes look far better than anything we saw in the Tartakovsky series.  Yes, I said it.  That stuff looked like 2D animation crap, and it was dated within a year of it's release.  I'm also wondering what the deal is with all the Togruta that were lined up.  There was a storyline in the CW comics about Togruta being taken as slaves.  Is Filoni going to explore that storyline which was very much focused on Ahsoka?  Hmmm....

Feedback

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2011, 08:52 PM »
 To some folks the Tartakovsky series was the greatest thing since light-saber sliced white bread. I thought it had its moments, but was mostly brief snippets and in the big picture, as disposable as any EU stuff of its time.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2011, 01:22 AM »
Season 4, OTOH, seems dark and forboding.  I gather that some of the darker settings are the Umbara storyline. 

I had read in the latest Star Wars 'Insider' that Filoni considered the Umbara storyline much darker because clones will actually be shooting at real people - not droids. Not something over the top, but for kids it does make a big difference.

I would say what got me excited the most from this new trailer was Ventress & Nightsisters vs. Grievous. OH. YEAH.

Where's Savage Opress? >:D
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2011, 12:37 PM »
August 2011 extended trailer, what Filoni Team has achieve and what they need to improve.

1. Count Dooku still bears a large conical head, kinda Rapa Nui monolitic sculpture or Ki Adi Mundi, they need to soften his trace.
2. Clones have evolved specially on rots gear, when they remove their helmets, their heads are regular size, have overcome the vice to bubble heads of the first season.
3. Anakin and Obi Wan are better proportioned, although they tend to heoic height (9 heads tall), Asoka is presented less bubble head than on seasons 1 and 2, but perhaps they could improve more her depiction.
4. Calamari young warriors have been design reusing Naddar Vebb head, when looking at close up of this teenagers or 20 years old guys they look like clones of Naddar. Better a fictional universe of difference.
5. Some combat scenes from secondary characters like ordinary battle droids, aqua droids, low rank clones look pressed by time of edition, they are exposed to a rain of laser rays Rex escapes this leitmotif, but is neccesary to
vary combat schemes.
6. Hope to listen to a more complex dialogue, not at a level too hard for kids, but at a medium degree of complication.
7. Submarine city is ok, it will give insight on Mon Calamari technology.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 12:38 PM by EpicGon »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2011, 07:30 PM »
I can't say I'm looking at the 3-D toon as replacing the Battle of Mon Calamari really...  There's nothing to say the two battles don't occur at separate points of the war.  The EU's always said that the Quarren/Mon Cal were at odds, even into the Rebellion era where they both join the Alliance.

So to me, right now, I'm just looking at them as the Tartakovsky event taking place earlier in the war, and the CW3D events taking place later in the war, till I see a good reason to feel otherwise.  In that time, equipment would change and stuff, and Fisto makes a pretty good choice to lead the defense the planet both times.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2011, 08:52 PM »
To some folks the Tartakovsky series was the greatest thing since light-saber sliced white bread.

Yes, that would be me. I hold a reverence for that series that is unrivalled by any other EU.

You really cannot compare that to the current series, IMHO. It's like trying to compare Citizen Kane to the Matrix. Both are great, but coming from very different points of origin.

Tarts is all about creating art, using animation as a visual medium for sublime expression. His take is restrained, full of atmosphere and shaded by nuance. It's not a blow you away thrill ride like we got in the Point Rain arc of the new show. There's a stylized, abstract element, not only in the art but in the plotting and execution of the action. It's more methodical, all about pacing.

As for the art and animation styling, I guess "dated" is just a matter of opinion. I suspect many people consider the early Warner Bros animation to be dated as well, because no computers were involved, but that stuff beats the living **** out of anything being trawled out today, if you ask me. Give me hand rendered cells over CGI every day of the week.

Tarts was never aiming to be "hyper-realistic" in his interpretation of the SW universe, it's just his unique vision, very much an outgrowth of the Samurai Jack motif.

And yeah, I can definitely see how that would not appeal to everyone. It's a unique perspective to be sure, and if it's not personally appealing it would be tough to get engaged with the stories.

Final note: Best thing about the micro-series is that they f-ing killed off Asajj Ventress without dragging that weak ass storyline way past its due. Filoni seems completely unable or unwilling to kill any villains in his series, just good guys. So as a result you have a whole universe of major league scumbags walking around that have somehow scattered into the woodwork prior to ROTS.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2011, 09:02 PM »
I think the stage is set for some carnage. I know it is a kids show, but at some point it will have to give. It makes perfect sense for Filoni to have Dooku kill off ventress at some point when she tries to seek revenge. I am hoping for a season four with no episodes about poisoned tea. The teasers look fantastic. Only a few more weeks and we should have new star wars on the small screen again!