Author Topic: Which is Your Favorite "Other Toy Line"?  (Read 9886 times)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Re: Which is Your Favorite "Other Toy Line"?
« Reply #15 on: August 3, 2003, 12:23 PM »
I have to go with Site C's choice, as, it was my second and favorite line I collected...TMNT was my first...

Good times those were. I still collect the JP, cause, Dinosaurs and toys are my hobby.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 3, 2003, 01:13 PM »
Well, for me, obviously Star Wars is number one.  As for others?  I can't really rank them, but here they are:

Lord Of The Rings
Sports Picks (NFL, MLB & NHL)
Marvel Legends
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2003, 04:40 PM »
Thought I'd bump this up to see if anyone else wanted to comment, or if anyone else's opinions have changed.  For me, Star Wars is easily first and foremost...and I really only have a couple of figures from other lines (my favorites).  I have "tried" other lines slowly, because I simply don't have the money or room...and my Star Wars collection is more important to me than other toy lines.  That being said, other figures in my room that aren't Star Wars are currently: Rohan Armor Legolas and "bendy" Smeagol from LOTR, He-Man, Sy-Klone, and someday hopefully Roboto from MOTU, a Spy Troops Snake-Eyes, and Beast, Gambit, Wolvie, and Magneto from Marvel Legends.  I think the only line I will possibly continue with is the X-Men from ML (and X-Men Classics), maybe a couple more LOTR figs, and sometimes the Muppets line calls to me too....but I think I'm too late in the game to start with that anyways...great figures though!  Wouldn't mind getting a Rowlf and Fozzie if nothing else though.  Anyways, with all the great stuff coming from SW next year, I doubt I'll buy much else.  Just curious what line would be your choice, outside of our wonderful Star Wars world of course :).

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2003, 09:54 PM »
I'm still the same, though I think last time I answered, it was in non-McFarlane season (also known as baseball season :-*)

Given the amount of time and effort I put into finding them, McFarlane sportspicks should be number one.  

I do still love Simpsons figures and I am still working on any and all Homer figures.

Marvel Legends are great, but quite the lull between series and we are still lagging up north even more - series 3 on the pegs.  

Star Wars is still the clear winner.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2003, 10:56 AM »
Probably DC Direct. It's not a prolific line and I don't collect all the characters, but who else is going to produce a Silver Age Superman figure that looks like it jumped off the comic page? Lord knows DC Direct has had their fair share of problems, but when they do it right, it's art.

A close second right now would be Marvel Minimates. That line is multiplying like rabbits, and with DC Minimates on the horizon in 2004, my wallet will be worn out in no time.
Post sober.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2006, 04:14 PM »
Just thought I'd bump up an old thread to see if anyone's tastes have changed over the last couple of years.  Its funny reading back through a couple of my old posts and seeing how much my collecting has changed since then...in just a matter of a few years.  For me, Star Wars continues to be #1, and the basic figure line always will be.  I've tried to streamline in any "other" Star Wars stuff I collect this year, limiting mainly to OT Galactic Heroes and Unleashed (big), which has been next to nothing this year so far.  There are always things here and there that I'll pick up, but for the most part, it revolves around the basic figure line.

As far as the "other" lines, at this point it is basically limited to comic-based stuff.  I have about 10 LOTR figures that I proudly display, but that line has come and gone.  Any other lines I was interested in I basically got into way too late, so I decided not to.  The comic stuff has gotten more money/attention over the past couple of years though.  At this point, its mainly Marvel stuff...Legends and Classics.  I started off getting just Spidey and a few X-Men figures, but that has branched off into a little of everything now.  I've still kept Spidey, and to a lesser extent X-Men, as the "mainstays" overall, but I've been picking up other characters as well.  I've had some DC purchases too, mainly consisting of JLU figures at this point, but I'm looking forward to getting some of the upcoming DC Superheroes figures as well.  Aside from that, I think that's just about it for what I'm collecting now.  Its basically this priority at this point:

1.  Star Wars
2.  Marvel Legends/Classics
3.  DC Superheroes/JLU

We'll see what happens with the Marvel lines after Hasbro takes over next year, but if it is something drastically different and/or crappy, I might be wrapping that up at the end of this year as well.  With the news that Mattel didn't get the entire DC license, the "DC Superheroes" collecting might be short-lived too.  I guess its not necessarily a bad thing, it would probably be good for me to focus on one area of collecting for awhile :P.  Have your interests changed over the years as well?

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2006, 01:03 PM »
I wasn't around when this topic first started but I'll jump in here.

Before SW started back up in 1995 I was collecting a lot of Toy Biz Marvel superheroes and misc. other toy lines including some of the 12" Hall of Fame GI Joe figures.  I pretty much quit all that and started 100% into the SW line and that's been my main toy line since then.

But I also have a lot of 12" GI Joe figures and other misc. 12" soldier figures (21st Century, Dragon, bbi) .  I also picked up a few 3.75" Joe figures over the last couple of years before they switched to the DTC line.

Other than an odd figure here and there it's pretty much been Star Wars #1 and 12" GI Joe a very, very distant 2nd. 

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2006, 01:59 PM »
Collecting is tough. I see sooooo much that I want but know I can't afford it all (lord knows I try :P)... I mainly just stick to what I like so that means an odd figure here and there. As for actual "toy lines" I collect:

- Kubricks (Medicom/Tomy): scattered interests from Star Wars to Muppets to Marvel...

- Family Guy (Mezco): I have them all up to now with the exception of Bedtime Stewie (anyone got one?)...

- Hellboy Movie/Comic (Mezco): I've been a HUGE Hellboy fan since 1998 or these are some of the best action figures ever made...

- PeeWee's Playhouse: Yes, you heard me right. I loved that damn show and now i'm re-living my youth and trying to get them all...

- Simpsons (Playmates): I have pretty much every figure and playset from series 1-7. It got to be too much and like Morg, I just started gettting Homer figures...

That's about it for actual toy lines. Like I said, I grab the occasional figure here and there that strikes me as cool. Like I recently just picked up NECA's 12" Frank the Bunny from Donnie Darko, one of my favorite movies of all time... 

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2006, 02:00 PM »
Kubricks
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2006, 05:54 PM »
I really don't have much interest in other lines outside of SW. 

Does the 12" Sideshow line count?   :P

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2006, 11:42 PM »
Either GI Joe or Transformers. I am such Hasbro's bitch.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2006, 07:33 PM »
Well, my favorite is Star Wars of course, but besides that:
1. GI Joe
2. Halo 7' Line
3. POTC2

:P
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 09:23 PM by HunterofThePegs »

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2006, 07:44 PM »
Can't say I really have another favorite toy line. I don't collect from any other line with any sort of regularity. Second to Star Wars, my fave type of figures would be all manner of exotic creatures, though. Some of my favorite things come from the following other properties: Godzilla, vintage MOTU, Muppets, A Nightmare Before Christmas, Universal Monsters, LOTR, Marvel and TMNT. A number of those lines/properties easily account for only 1 or 2 items in my collection, however.

I guess it could be said that Thundarr the Barbarian is my 2nd fave line, though, considering it's the only one from which I own everything produced. But that's likely only because they only made 3 figures. ;)