Author Topic: JediDefender Fantasy Football 2011  (Read 50867 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: JediDefender Fantasy Football 2011
« Reply #105 on: September 14, 2011, 05:30 PM »
Original post:

Opened waivers today for everyone. 

This is a change from the setting I had, which was 'locked from first game until Tuesday'.  I'm opting for that setting because otherwise the waiver order is meaningless unless someone drops someone of value.  I will reset the waiver setting once tomorrow's games start. 

If more than half of the league votes to have no waivers like we typically do then I'll revert to last year's settings.  My preference, as it Taco boy's (Jim/chuckles) is for the waivers lock from first game until Tuesday, so that is two votes.  Yay or nay?

Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 14, 2011, 05:42 PM »
Everyone is on waivers from the start of the first game of the week until the time when Yahoo processes the waivers, or basically Wednesday A.M.  If you make a claim during that time period it is a waiver claim.  It doesn't matter if they're on another players team at any point, everyone goes on waivers during the weekly period described. 

Rob, Patrick and Ruiner all made pickups this morning of players and they were all free agents.  The difference is when they made the request which is the whole point of the waiver process.  The waivers are there to help the teams that have a higher waiver priority.  They have this because they drafted later in the draft process.  For example, Taco's team got Cadillac even though I also tried to pick him up - he got him because of the lower waiver priority. 

From Wednesday morning until the first game, whenever it occurs, all players are free agents.  I assume there is an exception with players that were recently dropped as they have a two day waiver period as well.  So everyone that got dropped today, whether through a free agent claim or a waiver claim is on waivers for two days.  All other players are free agents and you can pick them up right now without it affecting waivers.  So if you want Earl Bennett right now, he's a free agent.  If you want Danny Amendola, it's a waiver claim.

Okay, so just want to make sure I have this straight.  I decided I wanted P. Cobb last night and put in a request for him, which wouldn't process until today.  Rob decided to put in a request for Ed Dickson at 10am.  So he gets his guy 40min ealier and is only charged with a FA pickup.  Even though I don't get my guy until 10:38, it is a waiver claim because I asked for him last night.  Is that correct?  So if I want to protect my waiver priority, I shouldn't ever request a player until Wednesday morning, right?  And I'm assuming that if Rob had requested Cobb, that would not have gone through at 10:00 because the player was already part of a pending waiver claim.  Would I have still received Cobb at that point regardless of Rob's waiver position or would he have factored into the claim despite not requesting until this morning?

I am in favor of the change because I don't like teams being able to pick up players between noon on Sunday and Monday night.  Stinks to see your guy go down at 1PM, log in to get his backup at 1:10 and find out someone else sniped him at 1:05.  If we're going to do that, we shouldn't even have a waiver.  My only request is confirmation on the deadlines for when a request becomes a free agent versus a waiver pickup.  I wouldn't have grabbed Cobb or Folk had I known it was going to drop my waiver priority from 7th to 12th. 

Sorry for not voting earlier Brent - the process wasn't entirely clear to me until your post today.
Thanks!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 14, 2011, 06:54 PM »
Yeah, I misunderstood.  I thought that we were only talking about the first week and whether or not to open it up for everyone, or to leave it as it was and didn't realize you were talking about the whole season. 

That sort of makes the #1 waiver spot valuable if someone goes down and some other RB steps up, I'd have that first crack at it, but if I want to keep it for something special I pretty much have to sand pat on everyone else until Tuesday.  Of course, if it was all open, there wouldn't be anyone around to use that waiver thing on, since everyone would get snatched right up.

I can see the benefits of both... oh well.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 14, 2011, 07:59 PM »
Okay, so just want to make sure I have this straight.  I decided I wanted P. Cobb last night and put in a request for him, which wouldn't process until today.  Rob decided to put in a request for Ed Dickson at 10am.  So he gets his guy 40min ealier and is only charged with a FA pickup.  Even though I don't get my guy until 10:38, it is a waiver claim because I asked for him last night.  Is that correct?  So if I want to protect my waiver priority, I shouldn't ever request a player until Wednesday morning, right?  And I'm assuming that if Rob had requested Cobb, that would not have gone through at 10:00 because the player was already part of a pending waiver claim.  Would I have still received Cobb at that point regardless of Rob's waiver position or would he have factored into the claim despite not requesting until this morning?

No, you don't have it straight.

1.  You made a claim yesterday and therefore it was a waiver claim because all players were listed as W for waivers.
2.  No, Rob would not have got Cobb necessarily.  Whoever had the higher waiver priority would have got him providing they tried to add him off waivers during the waiver period.  Even though your player swaps were processed later, your claim went in earlier.  So no, if Rob tried to add him this morning at 10:00 he wouldn't have got him because you had already made a claim on him during waivers.
- a similar example would pertain to Carnell Williams.  Jim and I both made waiver claims on him during the waiver period.  No other team could have claimed him this morning whenever yahoo's system switched over to FA. 
3. The time is irrelevant and nothing more than a glitch in the system.  That yahoo's system is screwy is nothing new. 

That sort of makes the #1 waiver spot valuable if someone goes down and some other RB steps up, I'd have that first crack at it, but if I want to keep it for something special I pretty much have to sand pat on everyone else until Tuesday.  Of course, if it was all open, there wouldn't be anyone around to use that waiver thing on, since everyone would get snatched right up.

Exactly.  The #1 waiver priority is really important if you have it and you have to consider seriously adding someone during the waiver period.  I tried for Cadillac because I needed another RB and with Stephen Jackson down, there's serious potential there.  Maybe short term, maybe not.  I also decided that because I was middle of the pack, I'd use it to try and get Early Doucet who could end up being quite a valuable receiver in AZ as Kolb showed good form and it might be that Brandon Lloyd is already injured and may miss this week.  And since I had two waiver claims in, figuring I'd get one, I put in a third because it would just leave me at the end (#12) so not much difference. 

Basically your paragraph explains the intent perfectly.  If you want someone during the waiver period, you better really want him because the claim will drop you to the back of the pack. 

I appreciate there's mixed feelings on it, but to me the waiver priority is otherwise useless.  It's only useful if someone makes a mistake in dropping someone valuable.  That's relatively rare, but it does happen.  With this system (which can be changed to Sunday-Tuesday instead of First game - Tuesday) it rewards the tail end of the draft folks.  Otherwise in our old system there's only penalty with not being in the top half of the draft (supposedly). 

I do understand our old system rewards those who watch all the games but I'm not sure that's an actual skill.  Sitting there watching all the possible games you can just in hopes of finding a steal on the free agent list thanks to an injury sort of might be an indication of obsessive compulsive behaviour.  I do wish they'd run a waivers setting of Sunday only though. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 14, 2011, 08:43 PM »
Thanks... yeah, the more I think about it the more I'm okay with giving it a try.  On principal I do like the idea of spreading the opportunity to improve your team out a little.  I like the idea that I currently have first dibs at any one player that I want, but I don't like the idea that to maintain that I have to forego all other free agents until Tuesday. 

If by the end of the year I hate it, I'll try to convince you all that you hate it too.  :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 08:43 PM by Rob »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 14, 2011, 09:11 PM »

Now I'll ask again.  Vote on it and comment on it.  Thus far Rob is against.  From what I can tell Diddly, Ruiner, myself and Taco are for it.

I am for it.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 14, 2011, 10:26 PM »
Okay, so just want to make sure I have this straight.  I decided I wanted P. Cobb last night and put in a request for him, which wouldn't process until today.  Rob decided to put in a request for Ed Dickson at 10am.  So he gets his guy 40min ealier and is only charged with a FA pickup.  Even though I don't get my guy until 10:38, it is a waiver claim because I asked for him last night.  Is that correct?  So if I want to protect my waiver priority, I shouldn't ever request a player until Wednesday morning, right?

You made a claim yesterday and therefore it was a waiver claim because all players were listed as W for waivers.

Got it - that's what I was saying if it wasn't clear.  Essentially, you need to just watch to see if the guy you want is classified as a waiver or not.  If he's listed as waiver, you can either make a claim and go down in waiver priority if you get him or you can hold off until he is off waivers and pick him up then. 

The timing is relevant to me because I would be willing to wait on certain players (like Cobb) on the chance that no one puts a claim on them.  However, I would want to know when players move from claim to FA because then it just becomes first come first served.  If that generally happens around 1am or 6am or 10am, then its worth trying to get in around those times instead of waiting until the end of the day.  Does anyone know generally when this is scheduled during the week?

Thanks for clarifying....
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 14, 2011, 10:58 PM »
According to Yahoo's note, it was between 4 and 8 hours after midnight Tuesday PST.  Yeah, not helpful. 

If you can figure out what time the 8:49 A.M. time Rob added Robbie Gould in terms of time zones, that's the best guess we can have right now. 

I guess Wednesday morning you just start checking to see if players are W or FA. 

And I bumped you up to 11 in waivers, ahead of me.  I can't move anyone else, but I'll sacrifice the one slot for the confusion. 

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 14, 2011, 11:17 PM »
And I bumped you up to 11 in waivers, ahead of me.  I can't move anyone else, but I'll sacrifice the one slot for the confusion.

Around 10am CST I think, so I'll look thereabouts.  Thanks for moving me up the waiver, but please put me back at 12 next time you're in there.  Not fair that you should slide back just because you're the commish.  I'm okay with #12 - just glad I've finally figured out how this works!

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #114 on: September 18, 2011, 03:47 PM »
I don't know what is with me and the TE position in fantasy fro the past few seasons. I seem to lose that position matchup almost every single week. It is easily the least productive spot on my roster. Today for example I decided to leave Owen Daniels in the game, after having Keller in my starting line-up for about 10 minutes last night. What does Keller do? He only has a 100+ receiving yard day with TD... Granted Daniels has yet to play, but with my luck I highly doubt that he will surpass that. ::)

Why did I waste a pickup on Chad Henne? I just noticed today someone who I would have thought for sure would be on someone's team was actually available and there is no way he will be after today... :-X
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 06:46 PM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 19, 2011, 01:26 AM »
Daniels had a pretty good game, so hopefully things worked out for you.  I trade for Finley thinking he would be big this year, but Gronkowski has dwarfed him the last two weeks.  Might have a TE to trade if anyone wants one.

Apparently I have a curse on any RB on my squad.  S. Jackson goes down in week 1, now it looks like Charles is out for the year.  Apologies in advance to the rest of my RBs...it's just a matter of time before you guys are all in the infirmary.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2011, 09:41 AM »
I asked Marin about that trade last night and she didn't realize that Daniel Thomas had his 100 yards in one game and not two but that she wasn't particularly worried about it and wasn't using Thomas (she wasn't place the same value on RB depth that we do).  If you guys don't like that trade, I think it only takes 3 votes to cancel it.  Yes, it's her Dad, but it's not some sort of collusion thing, he sends trade offers out left and right and most of them get rejected, but for whatever reason, she didn't think this one was a big deal and accepted.  There's no controversy or conspiracy, just vote against it if you don't like it.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 09:43 AM by Rob »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2011, 12:02 PM »
Considering that this isn't the first scandal that Patrick has been involved in, I want a full investigation into what went on here, including phone records, emails, and surveillance footage of meetings between Patrick and Marin, bank records including recent withdrawals, and any life insurance policies or wills that were recently crafted.

Commish we're gonna need this done in the next 2 days before the trade review time is up.

This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 22, 2011, 12:07 PM »
If you knew Patrick, you'd find your scandal joke even funnier.  He's the nicest guy on the planet.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 22, 2011, 01:14 PM »
If I thought you guys were serious, I'd be all over it.  But with needing a whopping three votes to veto it, I'm just not too worried.