Author Topic: JediDefender Fantasy Football 2011  (Read 50900 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: JediDefender Fantasy Football 2011
« Reply #195 on: October 4, 2011, 10:09 PM »
I've had a pretty cake schedule so far this year.  In fact, if I could have just gotten into the site before the game on Sunday to start Beanie, I'd be 4-0 right now.  The fates conspire to give me a good season and I'm still doing my best to mess it up.   ::)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 17, 2011, 02:53 AM »
Every week I go into games convinced this will be the week I finally lose. Hasn't happened yet. Which one of you is going to end my streak?  :P
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 17, 2011, 01:14 PM »
Close one this week Brent.  Bad luck to you tonight!   >:D
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 17, 2011, 02:23 PM »
Oh I've plenty of bad luck, no need for extra.  You should be ashamed of not having beaten my team already. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 17, 2011, 02:42 PM »
So now that we're a few weeks in, I've got to say that I absolutely HATE this new wavier system.  I've felt completely tied up in terms of improving my team. 

I vote that we do away with it and go back to how we've done it for the 8 years before after this season.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 17, 2011, 03:02 PM »
As usual, I was thinking the exact opposite of Rob.  I like that I don't have to race in and pick up a player if something happens mid-game.  It's actually a bit relaxing to have until Tuesday night/Wed morning to think about changes.  My vote goes to keeping the new waiver process.  Sorry Rob.   :-\

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 17, 2011, 03:30 PM »
Agreed with Jman, I love the new Waiver system and vote to keep it. Makes things a bit more fair.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 17, 2011, 04:08 PM »
As commissioner I won't vote, but if I could, I'd vote to keep it. 

I think it makes the waiver more meaningful and rather than just gathering players so others can't get them, you have to decide whether it's worth the drop in waiver priority.  I'd rather the waiver ended on Tuesday morning though but that I cannot change. 

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 17, 2011, 04:41 PM »
The waiver priority position for each team should change weekly depending on the standings.  (last gets place gets first priority, first place gets last, etc.)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 17, 2011, 05:38 PM »
The waiver priority position for each team should change weekly depending on the standings.  (last gets place gets first priority, first place gets last, etc.)

I don't agree with that either.  I get the concept that the teams at the bottom are in the most need of help through acquisition, but if you're 6-1 and have Adrian Peterson or Aaron Rodgers go out for the year, should you be penalized in not being able to make any good pickups until your record is worse?  I don't think owners should be disadvantaged or handicapped during the season based on their performance to date.

I do agree with the current waiver in that it evens out the priority of pickups across teams.  If I'm a #1 team or the #12 team, I can't just go in and get the best guys every week just because I'm the first one in or because my record places me ahead of others.  If I get first choice this week, I shouldn't get first choice again next week just because I lost - everyone else should get to take their turn if they want to.

Just my two cents, but I would still vote in favor of the current process.  The only other option that I might be in favor of regarding waivers and free agents is a bid process.  If we all get a pretend $100 budget for pickups, then you can blind bid against others according to how much you value a player.  That gives everyone a shot at getting any free player and makes you responsible for the priority/value you place on them.  Currently I might blow my high waiver position on a kicker, then my RB goes down next week and I don't have a shot at his replacement.  With a bid system, your ability to pick up players is dependent on what you decide to spend, so you have more control/responsiblity for roster changes.  Not even sure if we can do that through Yahoo, but we've adopted it in two of my leagues and it has worked well.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 17, 2011, 05:48 PM »
I couldn't hate it more.  When I had the #1 pick, I sat on it waiting for a big pick-up, and literally couldn't add any players until Wednesday of the next week.  Pretty soon that'll mean ONE day to make roster adjustments before Thursday night contests.  This left me missing out on lots of middle tier guys that I'd have taken chances on because someone else was more willing to move down (or was already low and didn't care).

Likewise, once I spent that #1 priority and went to the bottom of the list, I missed out on every pick-up I've tried to make since.  Paying attention and being quick are rendered useless, and people who aren't as good or attentive can wander in 3 days later and just pick up whatever if their priority is right. 

Basically I find myself sitting around 4 days of the week watching people pick up the hot waiver-wire players while I get denied or try to wisely spend the spot.  I literally couldn't hate it any more than I do at this point.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 05:50 PM by Rob »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 17, 2011, 06:00 PM »
I can see where that would be frustrating.  If you're someone who is online a lot or can easily access the site when you need to, then it's probably hard to see guys you want, but can't get more often than not.  I'm online quite a bit and know how it feels to miss out on guys due to this, though honestly I've found other mid-tier guys I can nab Wed morning and it hasn't made much difference to my overall score.  I'd also argue that if you have a top waiver claim spot and aren't utilizing it, then it's your own choice when you miss guys you want.  There are enough pickups in this league that you can move back near the top fairly quickly. 

The flip side here is that this is a freebie league and not everyone is monitoring it as closely as you are.  If you're an owner that can't get online on Sunday or are busy doing other things, it would sure stink to see one or two teams scooping up all the best guys at 1:30 on any given Sunday.  I don't want to bring politics into this, but I'm kind of surprised that you of all people aren't more in favor of making pick-ups equal opportunity versus giving the advantage to the person who is richest in time and availabilty.  No disrespect meant - I'm just honestly surprised.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 17, 2011, 07:05 PM »
Yeah, when those Thursday games roll around I was thinking of switching the waiver to Sunday - Tuesday.  So it'd be the same for picking up players during the week as it is now, even though games are being played potentially on Thursday or Saturday.  I'd agree that the one day thing is too little time with players not on waivers only to revert back again immediately Thursday evening. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 18, 2011, 12:14 AM »
All hail Reggie Bush, conquering hero.

bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha.  Ridiculous.  I'll wait to see if there are any stats corrections before declaring victory but that there is rock solid proof that fantasy football is luck.  No frickin' way I should be 3-3, my team sucks. 

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 18, 2011, 05:54 PM »
Yeah, when those Thursday games roll around I was thinking of switching the waiver to Sunday - Tuesday.  So it'd be the same for picking up players during the week as it is now, even though games are being played potentially on Thursday or Saturday.  I'd agree that the one day thing is too little time with players not on waivers only to revert back again immediately Thursday evening.

I think that makes sense.  It's hard to go back into the waiver system on Friday when you might have a guy that is questionable going into the Sunday games.  Can you set it so that the Thursday night players are locked until the next week?

All hail Reggie Bush, conquering hero.

bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha.  Ridiculous.  I'll wait to see if there are any stats corrections before declaring victory but that there is rock solid proof that fantasy football is luck.  No frickin' way I should be 3-3, my team sucks.

Solid victory Brent.  I needed the Jets to get close enough for that second field goal, but my luck ran out.  It certainly didn't help having V. Jackson, B. Wells, and W. McGahee on bye this week, then getting 0pts from my defense.  Definitely not a good showing from the Ramminators. 

That said, I probably shouldn't be sitting at 4-2 either.  I was looking over the stats and noticed that I'm a whopping 10th in scoring.  Tommy and I are the only two teams with less than 400 points scored against us as well.   :o  Pretty silly to think that I'd be 5-1 right now if the Jets had a FG in place of one of those TDs last night.