Author Topic: SDCC 2011  (Read 46866 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: SDCC 2011
« Reply #105 on: July 22, 2011, 07:41 PM »
I guess I'm in the minority who thinks a few exclusives and some cutting back on getting new basic figures is a nice respite.  Stuff's too costly, the line's needing a breather to sort its **** out, and this is something that may be a very good thing for it.

Hunt for some exclusives, not worry so much about the basic line because it's only going to have a short ammount of new stuff through fall...  I'm ok with that.

And TFU/Rep Commandoes getting cranked out so they can get to TOR boxed sets?  I just toy wanked!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 22, 2011, 08:08 PM »
I can say for sure is that Ben Quadrinaros finally getting made is proof that 2012 is the end of the world.

I think the Evazan wave getting bumped and the exclusive Wal-Mart wave are irritating consider they gave us a filler wave earlier this year. 

I'm a bit surprised that more updated Clones using the new body aren't coming that soon. All you who sold off your 501sters...enjoy the wait.  >:D

Wal-Mart CLONE WARS DVD 2-packs containing one new figure each remind us that China-based ebay sellers are a gooood thing.

Hasbro's weirdness gives us Mando gunships with virtually no Mandalorians in stores, save the stray deluxe set and nigh-impossible to find battle pack. Luke's tauntaun and no Luke. Clone Wars Chewbacca with no one to interact with from his episode besides Ahsoka.  A spider assassin droid with its intended target non-existent in figure form. Pod racers with no pods (okay, that's not so surprising). A battle pack to stop a Zillo Beast that only exists as a backdrop. Remake of a deleted scene character but no JAXXON.  ;)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #107 on: July 22, 2011, 08:20 PM »
Very nice to see the TPM stuff.  The rest of this year is a flame out.  They should at least take the opportunity to hit up the market with some revision cases of HTF guys, Wedge, etc.  Very lackluster and even for CW, which is where the line is right now. 

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #108 on: July 22, 2011, 08:24 PM »
What has me excited is that they will continue this each year with each movie as it comes out, which means to me that almost everything we have ever wanted will eventually get made.  These figures all look amazing and while most people are TPMed out it fills a ton of much needed holes.  It is also odd they ignored 2 figures from the ToyFare 09 poll when choosing this stuff in Tey How and Kitster/Wald

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #109 on: July 22, 2011, 08:54 PM »
Those, and also you know, 3-PO.  3-PO and Jar Jar are way overdue and they would have been better than say Vos or Pilot #2.  I agree, very good point: the next six years will be the victory lap, and if you wanted it you will get it.

Except Tonnika Sisters.   :)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #110 on: July 22, 2011, 08:58 PM »
Its been said that TPM C-3PO was the most expensive figure ever made by figure from a tooling and paint standpoint...that may explain his absence...I'm not sure if I do believe that or not

To me...the original 3PO is fine.  Sure it can probably be a little more articulated but I'm OK with it.

Jar Jar though is a must

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 22, 2011, 09:05 PM »
What has me excited is that they will continue this each year with each movie as it comes out, which means to me that almost everything we have ever wanted will eventually get made.  These figures all look amazing and while most people are TPMed out it fills a ton of much needed holes.  It is also odd they ignored 2 figures from the ToyFare 09 poll when choosing this stuff in Tey How and Kitster/Wald

That is exactly what I was thinking as I was going through more pics/info here today.  One of the best things about this is that we could get a little "mini" push for each movie for the next six years.  Like Scott said, so much could be covered - and it could be a nice chance for new or long unseen vehicles, beasties, etc.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #112 on: July 22, 2011, 09:43 PM »
yeah there could be insane **** coming, if TPM's any indication.

Just think about it...  they did a generic Naboo pilot, Naboo Royal Guard, Ric Olie...  There could be really REALLY cool figures on the way.  From the iconic to the odd, they could knock out some really good stuff.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #113 on: July 22, 2011, 10:05 PM »
You all are presuming that every movie's gonna get a 3D release.

Quote from: Rick McCallum
We’re doing 3D versions of all six films, one a year, starting in February of next year. We start with [episode] one and go all the way through six, totally chronological. One a year, if they work. If they don’t, then there will be just one [episode converted to 3D].

The 3D ‘Star Wars’ Conversions Could End After ‘The Phantom Menace’

And who knows if 3D will still be as popular four or five years from now as it is today.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline JediMoses

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 22, 2011, 10:08 PM »
But I would really like to know the story behind why 2011 is essentially getting the shaft on figures.  I forgot that the AOTC wave was a 2010 wave after  the TPM wave is postponed a year   We get a lackluster Wave 5, a decent Wave 6, a great Wave 7 and a stripped down Wave 8/9.  It would be nice to have the real story as it might alleviate some of the frustration.

I just wonder what they are going to push for the holidays as there does not seem to be enough product.  Unless they just plan to let the pegs languish with clones and sandies.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #115 on: July 22, 2011, 10:37 PM »
The other odd thing is that there were no new CW waves shown...again maybe NY CC but that is sort of weird...its not like there are any more spoilers on Season 3 and they should really try and get out some Season 4 stuff this fall

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #116 on: July 22, 2011, 10:45 PM »
I'm thinking it's a reshaping of the line, personally.  Taking a step back, and looking at where they've got to adjust things, and giving some of the previous waves time to catch up maybe, while getting the Revenge stuff out.

Just a guess, could be completely wrong.  It just sort of fits though, to me.  Everything's in disarray, they're aware, and right now SW isn't the forefront of the toy aisle, so it's maybe a good time to just attempt to right the ship internally and use 2012 and TPM 3-D as a clean slate somewhat.

And Matt brings up a good point, but I can't see anything SW failing at the box office to the point that they'd shelve it.  Even The Clone Wars did ok when it came out I think, and a lot of people were dumping on it from the gate.  I thought it was good, but I'm a LFL whore at this point.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #117 on: July 22, 2011, 10:55 PM »
I'm not ready to dump on this presentation too much because we really have no idea what or how much they saved for NYCC.  For example, apparently they are cranking out an all-new Naboo Starfighter for TPM3D.  So that's a NYCC reveal I guess since they didn't mention it. 

They showed us three waves of CW to get through the early Fall, maybe they saved the other new stuff for NYCC?  I'm going to hold off on the "this was a terrible panel" talk for now.  It reminds me a lot of last year, where SDCC was sort of a let-down and then C-V had a lot more reveals.  Maybe it's the same thing now - early Fall at SDCC, Late Fall/Christmas stuff at NYCC?
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediMoses

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 22, 2011, 10:57 PM »
GH has the images of loose 2012 figs.  Looks like everyone gets their wish for Skiff Lando.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 22, 2011, 11:12 PM »
Mon Cal pilot looks to be all new tooling?

One thing I recall, the one EU figure per wave in 2012 thing seems to have been....delayed?

And no one is ready to admit what they secretly wanted to see at SDCC: what's coming in 2012 for Jedi Force.  ;)