Author Topic: NBA 2011-2012  (Read 16649 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
NBA 2011-2012
« on: June 24, 2011, 10:07 AM »
Sounds like the Lakers may have a new name on the roster for next season: Metta World Peace
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 10:07 AM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline King_Maul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: NBA 2011-2012
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 11:03 AM »
Hopefully he won't have another flagrant foul or climb into the stands otherwise it might be peace out.

His jersey will remind me of the XFL jerseys.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 08:38 PM »
Hopefully he won't have another flagrant foul or climb into the stands otherwise it might be peace out.

Um, hopefully he DOES climb into the stands.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 8, 2011, 08:40 PM »
Looks like CP3 is going to the Lakers.  And, the Lakers can still attempt to trade Bynum for Dwight Howard.  Yikes!

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 8, 2011, 10:24 PM »
The Paul trade was struck down by Stern.
« Last Edit: December 8, 2011, 10:56 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 8, 2011, 11:52 PM »
The Paul trade was struck down by Stern.

I saw that.  Wow.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 9, 2011, 11:29 AM »
Sort of feel like there could be conflict of interest, and too much power in the league front office if they're striking down trades that teams are agreeing to.  I don't like the idea of the league owning a team.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 9, 2011, 11:49 AM »
Sort of feel like there could be conflict of interest, and too much power in the league front office if they're striking down trades that teams are agreeing to.  I don't like the idea of the league owning a team.

I don't see what the problem is with the trade itself.  The Lakers were going to give up Pau Gasol and Odom.  That's totally fine in terms of talent for talent.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 9, 2011, 01:46 PM »

I don't see what the problem is with the trade itself.  The Lakers were going to give up Pau Gasol and Odom.  That's totally fine in terms of talent for talent.

I agree, plus the Hornets were actually making out pretty well on the deal.  From the sound of things, a few of the small-market owners complained (i.e. Dan Gilbert of the Cleveland Cavaliers) and demanded that the trade be vetoed.  Seeing that every owner technically has a 1/29th ownership stake in the Hornets, they felt like they had a say .... even though they all decided back when the league took over the team that the Hornets' GM would have all the say in making trade and operating decisions for the team.  Apparently not.

Here's Gilbert's letter to David Stern:

Commissioner,

It would be a travesty to allow the Lakers to acquire Chris Paul in the apparent trade being discussed.

This trade should go to a vote of the 29 owners of the Hornets.

Over the next three seasons this deal would save the Lakers approximately $20 million in salaries and approximately $21 million in luxury taxes. That $21 million goes to non-taxpaying teams and to fund revenue sharing.

I cannot remember ever seeing a trade where a team got by far the best player in the trade and saved over $40 million in the process. And it doesn't appear that they would give up any draft picks, which might allow to later make a trade for Dwight Howard. (They would also get a large trade exception that would help them improve their team and/or eventually trade for Howard.) When the Lakers got Pau Gasol (at the time considered an extremely lopsided trade) they took on tens of millions in additional salary and luxury tax and they gave up a number of prospects (one in Marc Gasol who may become a max-salary player).

I just don't see how we can allow this trade to happen.

I know the vast majority of owners feel the same way that I do.

When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise...

Dan G.
« Last Edit: December 9, 2011, 01:47 PM by Neal »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 9, 2011, 05:41 PM »
Paul's walking in July anyway, and then the Hornets don't get anything for him.

Someone needs to reverse the decision.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 01:03 AM »
Dan Gilbert is such a loser.  Maybe the Cavs fans should take a vote to force him to sell his team, so maybe they'll win a game sometime this year.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 01:08 PM »
Whatever, I love it.

People have been giving away HOF talent to the Lakers long enough. Damn right put your foot down. They never should have gotten Gasol in the first place, that was a ridiculously unfair trade.

It's like all these stupid GM's just want to roll over and and hand LA the trophy every year just to improve their bottom line.

Competitive balance around the league just makes things better all around.

War Dwight Howard re-signing with the Magic!

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 09:33 AM »
Looks like CP3 ended up going to LA after all.   ;)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 11:58 AM »
Such garbage.  There wasn't anyone given up the caliber of Pau Gasol.  I probably won't even watch this sport this year

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 02:40 PM »
Remember that Gasol was going to the Rockets in the initial trade.  The league was concerned with the players/draft picks that the Hornets would be receiving.  I didn't share their concern considering the players New Orleans were set to get, but they are making out pretty well on this trade.  Kaman is a solid big man when he's healthy, and Eric Gordon is an absolute stud.
As far as watching the NBA, this makes me want to watch it even more.  CP3 and Griffin are two of my favorite players.  Having them on the same team is going to be awesome.