Author Topic: SDCC/TRU Star Wars: Republic Commando Figure Set  (Read 32743 times)

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
SDCC/TRU Star Wars: Republic Commando Figure Set
« on: July 1, 2011, 01:40 PM »
http://jediinsider.com/index.php?catid=8&itemid=13595

This will be fun to acquire.....they look good.
« Last Edit: August 2, 2011, 03:31 PM by Jeff »
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
WOW, Delta Squad FTW!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
I'm pretty indifferent on this one...  articulation upgrades might be nice, but if the price is too high, I'll be perfectly happy with the RC squad that I already have. :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
I'm pretty indifferent on this one...  articulation upgrades might be nice, but if the price is too high, I'll be perfectly happy with the RC squad that I already have. :P

I am with you on this.  This set is not a SDCC priority for me.  MU Sentinel, both versions of the Dreadnok chic (cant remember name atm), and the Indy set are way higher up on the want list for me.

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
I am not into it either but it is a nice set for that wanted this.  Personally I am getting tired of clonetroopers.  So, I"m glad they want the online exclusive route with this.  Now that means the pegs can be jammed with even more ROTS clonetroopers and white pauldron Sandtroopers  :(

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
I think EVERYONE is tired of Clone Troopers and Stormtroopers, too.  When I stopped in at TRU's flagship store in NYC the other evening the ONLY TVC figures on the pegs were Sandtroopers, Ep II Clones and Ep III Clones.  There was nothing else!  The heady days of the army building craze (2004-2007 or so) are over, and it seems that collectors have had their fill.  This revisitation of the Republic Commandos might SEEM cool on the surface, but at this point it's just old hat.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Never ordered the original so I'll take it, but I'm going to focus on snagging the Indy set first.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Nice they redid them, but the idea of redoing them points to how repetitive and irritating Star Wars collecting gets. If they'd done the mold right the first time, there'd be no need for this set. It wasn't like they weren't doing super articulated troopers then, either.

Also, TRU exclusive = $50 price tag probably.
« Last Edit: July 2, 2011, 11:47 PM by scockery »

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Since it's TRU I might be able to get this when I get back from Afghanistan.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Can't say it's not a good idea. I might pick it up because of the articulation upgrades.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
I think it's a great idea, and should be a more widespread release... all 4 Commandos minus the Geonosian, around $30.00... that's what I'd prefer.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Nice they redid them, but the idea of redoing them points to how repetitive and irritating Star Wars collecting gets. If they'd done the mold right the first time, there'd be no need for this set. It wasn't like they were doing super articulated troopers then, either.

Also, TRU exclusive = $50 price tag probably.

This is where I'm at...

I wanted the Rep Commandoes redone from the get-go...  They chinced out on the knee joints, a must IMO, and something they should've done from the start. 

I'm glad to see it done, but dread the price.  I'll probably pick a set up, but one set (no extras for me), and I'll just be pleased to finally have these guys done PROPERLY in the line.

As far as army building goes, every figure has a saturation point...  Clones out in bulk in the Legends line probably has a little something to do with Clones in the Vintage line not doing so well.  Steady releases of Sandtroopers in all varieties since 2007 probably isn't helping him.  And so on.

Meanwhile, other army builders are moving...  New Clones seem to do well, but pickins for what Hasbro can do, especially from the movies, are becoming less and less.  Till all army builders are seen like the ROTS Clone in the Vintage line though, it's tough to make blanket calls like "army building is over".

I'd say $9.99 figures has a lot more to do with army building slowing down than character popularity, personally, and I think it's impacted the line as a whole.  But that's just me.  I know I've gone from 100+ of various characters to, at best, half that.  And that's a real rarity.

Plus most of the army builders that come out are just more of the same.  Again, character saturation.  I like the new Stormtrooper, I just already have hundreds and hundreds of suitable ones, and suitable ones have been on pegs steadily now for literally years.  Retire him a while, come back with something all new, from the blaster to the sculpt of the figure itself, a year or two down the road like the new AOTC Clone, and that's probably a much stronger lithmus test.

I see AOTC Wave clones...  But I don't see a lot, and I'd never label them pegwarmers yet, despite seeing refreshes of that wave steadily now for some months.  Toss a Super Duper Scout Trooper out on shelves that takes the VTSC to insane new levels, and I think that's a more fair way of looking at it.

Some should certainly see full retirement, or at least get shelved for a year or two.  Others need a ground-up redo, and I think they'd see a whole new army building life.
« Last Edit: July 2, 2011, 11:28 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
I was thinking about this just this evening, and realized that it was our Q&A, as well as a poll picking Hasbro's brain, that actually may very well have helped move this idea along...

Q&A#1
http://www.jedidefender.com/newspro/fullnews.cgi?newsid1254551523,74367,

Q&A#2
http://www.jedidefender.com/newspro/fullnews.cgi?newsid1261447457,39454,

And in between we ran the poll via our forums...
http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=19933.msg453322#msg453322

It's really nice seeing the end result.  It had been so long it almost slipped my mind that we'd picked Hasbro's brain on new Commandoes some time ago!  Much like ICMG, it's nice to see you actually get their attention, and get an end result on top of it.
« Last Edit: July 4, 2011, 12:44 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline ysalamir

• Youngling
    • View Profile
These are cool, though kinda irritating they weren't done right the first time. I'll get a set if they are not too much.

The TVC Clones clogging the pegs is a double whammy, with a perfectly good SA Legends clone right next to it on the pegs for a lot less, and they all have yellowed helmets, they are rotting on the pegs along with a few Sandtroopers. I saw a bunch of Utapau orange clones today. They are starting to warm now. Same yellowed helmets of course.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Re: SDCC/TRU Exclusive Star Wars: Republic Commando Action Figure Set
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 11:57 AM »
I thought ToysRUs.com was going to start selling these today.... At least that's what their site says:

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!