Author Topic: 2011 TRU Force Unleashed Box Set  (Read 50435 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: 2011 TRU Force Unleashed Box Set
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 07:54 PM »

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2011, 12:19 AM »
The TFU set is growing on me.  Although I don't remember Darth Phobos....was she in the Wii version?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 02:28 PM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 06:44 AM »
Yeah, she was. I'm liking this set a little more now too, didn't realize that some of the troopers were actually new.

Offline SnTrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2011, 01:25 PM »
The TFU set is growing on me.  Although I don't remember Darth Phobos....was she in the Wii version?
She and the Navy Commandos are Wii/PS2/PSP version exclusives.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 01:26 PM by SnTrooper »

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2011, 12:16 AM »
$34.99 Aug 2011
(They have the Battle Over Endor packs shown with a tag saying $24.99!  :P )

Phobos looks a bit cartoony.  :-\

The new troopers look okay.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 12:19 AM by scockery »

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2011, 02:52 AM »
So that means $39.99 by the time it hits shelves. :P

There's a .01% chance I'll pick this up. I liked the set last year that had the droid and other cool characters but there are just too many troopers in this set for my liking. I passed on those things back in 2008 and I'll pass on them again now.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2011, 05:34 AM »
The Phobos looks pretty sick and after playing the game a few days ago I recognized the troopers and they show up pretty frequently... I'm just puzzled about the Starkiller choice. There's so many outfits he wears throughout the game, so I wonder why Hasbro chose the look that he actually didn't wear in the story. 
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2011, 11:08 AM »
There's going to be pretty much zero leg articulation with those plastic robes on Starkiller...not sure why they didn't give him softgoods. I mean, they were saving money on this set by including that crappy Evo trooper again.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2011, 07:46 PM »
Yeah I may not buy that set at all...  Phobos looks like an alien from Avatar sort of, the troopers are so unnecessary it's not even funny, and the Star Killer looks ****** to me.  I'm not impressed by it.  I need to cut SW stuff out that sucks, and this is kind of it for me.  This type of stuff can sit.

Republic Commandoes I got locked in at the show, and I like them so I'm ok with that...  This TFU set though, I'm personally kinda glad to just see TFU not in Hasbro's sights anymore.  I hope they make better figure choices with The Old Republic sets they said they're doing though.  There's a game that's going to be character rich, and if they just do a Republic Soldier and keep repainting him in each set, I'll be highly disappointed in stuff like that.

Especially at TRU who rape you for a little extra on the price, every time, by jacking things above the MSRP.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2011, 09:06 AM »
I'm digging the troopers. Hopefully I be able to assemble a squad of those commandos.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2011, 08:38 PM »
I'm digging the troopers. Hopefully I be able to assemble a squad of those commandos.

right there with you Anton
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2011, 09:21 PM »
Hasbro's lineup for this box set (and to a lesser extent the RC set) makes it much more transparent that they're trying to keep costs down by repainting existing sculpts.  To that I give a loud and clear "BOOOOOOO!"  Especially since they're re-offering the EVO and Jump troopers AGAIN.  Why not reissue the Shadow Guard if you're going in that direction?  That figure was easily one of the more scarce offerings of the past 5 years.

They are, however, clearly trying to appeal to the video game generation of Star Wars fans.  I think that's an important direction for Hasbro to turn to in an effort to stay relavent.  But the fact that Hasbro has effectively done NOTHING for TFU II shows that they haven't been able to work effectively with LucasArts to market a line of video game based figures.  Is it Hasbro's reaction to getting burned by LucasArts because of the inordinate delays on the original Force Unleashed game, and the resulting delays for the figures they developed for that game?  Possibly.  Video games have been notorious for release delays.  But you would think that with a multi-million dollar licensing deal such as Hasbro has with Lucasfilm that SOMEHOW they would be able to work out the kinks on a release schedule for video game figures.

Okay, I take most of this back!

I am pleasantly surprised with this pack.  Thankfully the EVO Trooper is the only reissue here.  The Imperial Naval Commando and Naval Commando Officer are pleasant and welcome surprises.

Looking at a shot like this of Galen Marek & Darth Phobos, I get the feeling that the plastic cloak pieces are going to limit their mobility.  But pieces like that which are molded instead of softgoods are cheaper to do.  Also, I'd like to see Galen Marek without the cloak just so I can see the likeness.  Hasbro really hasn't been able to capture his likeness well thus far.  I'd like to see if they improved it this time out.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 1, 2011, 08:20 PM »
Is it my imagination or do these Navy commandos look a little plump? I mean they look like those plus size stormtroopers that wonder around Comic-Con.
« Last Edit: August 1, 2011, 08:21 PM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 2, 2011, 06:42 AM »
Why do all of the stormtrooper helmets look like the 1995 POTF2 release?  They are awful.

It's like Hasbro took the last 16 years of progress to the top of a mountain, then went bobsledding down the evolutionary scale back to 1995.

And that's pretty bad, because Hasbro has never really nailed the stormtrooper helmets like they've nailed other figures like the Gamorrean Guard.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #29 on: August 2, 2011, 08:28 AM »
I like these new Navy Troopers overall. To me, the look very McQuarrie-esque

Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird