Author Topic: The Avengers (SPOILERS)  (Read 137486 times)

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: The Avengers (and sequels)
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2010, 10:49 PM »
That Infinity Gauntlet has me extremely pumped for whatever it is going to be used for.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2010, 12:24 AM »
That Infinity Gauntlet has me extremely pumped for whatever it is going to be used for.

Hmnn.  Hmmmn.  Thanos would be a worthy villain if that's where they're taking the Avengers, though I'll be a little disappointed if they depart from the Loki storyline.  Maybe for the average Joe having the villain be a Thor baddie sways things too much in his direction.  Thanos would be a villain strong enough for all the heroes to unite, though introducing him and the infinity gauntlet in their first movie would be pretty ambitious.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2011, 10:45 AM »
SPOILERS
It looks like the first teaser (which appears after the credits of Cap) has leaked online.  It is very poor quality, but if you'd like to see it, it is probably wise to do it quickly:

Avengers Teaser

A lot of the "quick flashes" type of stuff going on, and I look forward to seeing it in better quality (or on the big screen), but man it is exciting that this big team up movie is happening.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 12:01 PM by Brian »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2011, 05:48 PM »
SPOILERS
It looks like the first teaser (which appears after the credits of Cap) has leaked online.  It is very poor quality, but if you'd like to see it, it is probably wise to do it quickly:

Avengers Teaser

A lot of the "quick flashes" type of stuff going on, and I look forward to seeing it in better quality (or on the big screen), but man it is exciting that this big team up movie is happening.

Already pulled from YouTube.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2011, 10:40 PM »
So is Thanos the villian in The Avengers?

I heard it was mainly Loki and Skrulls.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2011, 09:09 AM »
Ugh, Skrulls are part and parcel of the FF continuity, I hate to see them trawled out for another franchise.

Did the Avengers even have a recurring nemesis?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2011, 02:58 PM »
Ugh, Skrulls are part and parcel of the FF continuity, I hate to see them trawled out for another franchise.

Did the Avengers even have a recurring nemesis?

Yes, the Skrulls first appeared in FF, but outside of that the Avengers have been heavily involved with Skrull activity over the years.  They were the major players in the Kree/Skrull war, The iluminati attack on their homeworld was led by Iron Man and Reed Richards (among others), and the more recent Secret Invasion was far more tied to the Avengers than the FF, with a Skrull replacing Spiderwoman to kick things off and Skrulls impersonating Hank Pym and Mockinbird for several years of the timeline.  The invasion brings the core Avengers back together, reseats Iron Man from national security director to outlaw, puts the Dark Avengers into play, and kills off the Wasp...pretty major implications for Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

As for their own nemeses, the Avengers have quite a few: Ultron would be a great villian, but probably requires Hank Pym to be more established (he built Ultron to make himself look good in front of the Avengers, then the robot self evolved).  Kang the time traveler is another solid villian, but time travel is another concept that might be best saved for a sequel.  The Masters of Evil were a collection of baddies bent on destroying the Avengers as well.  Would be cool to see a group of supervillians to fight, but then you end up having to spread screen time across a number of baddies.  Loki is the villian who brought them together in the comics, so it would make sense to use him since he's already established.  Maybe they don't want to showcase one villian so much though, tying the group so closely to Thor. 

In the comics, the Skrulls are the ones who developed the Cosmic Cube, so if they are going this route then it makes sense to include them as well.  Thanos is the one who wielded the infinity gauntlet, so will be interesting to see where they go with that.  I'm a little dissapointed that they are tackling Aliens who can transform into anyone AND a device that can alter reality all in one movie - seems like an awfully big scope for one movie.  Loki will probably fit in there somehow as well given the last scene in Thor.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2011, 03:46 PM »
Thanks, Kang was the one I was trying to remember, he'd be a good choice.

Wasn't Thanos a Captain Marvel villain? Like Ego the Living Planet?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2011, 03:56 PM »
I had thought about Kang when I saw Thor, and the whole Cosmic Cube storyline got brought to light.  Who knows?

Also, I was just checking out the Comic Con program grid, and surprisingly the major upcoming comic films don't seem to be listed, Avengers included.  You've got to think that there will be SOME kind of Avengers panel.  Especially since most of the cast was part of a presentation last year. 

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2011, 04:16 PM »
Thanos was originally more of a Captain Marvel baddie.  When he started collecting the infinity gems though, he significantly increased his power set and it took the Avengers and many other heroes to take him down.  You never know how they are going to combine things in these movies - maybe they make Thanos into more of a super-skrull type?  Like in Thor, they found a way to bring in Loki, the Destroyer, Thor's banishment, and the Frost Giants all into one storyline, when they were all mostly separate storylines throughout the comics.

I forgot about the Super adaptoid too.  I think he was somewhat based off the cosmic cube's power as I recall.  Pretty cool villain - he could absorb the powers and talents of anyone he fought, so you have an android with all of the Avengers' powers wrapped up into one baddie. 

I'm more leery of Kang as a movie villain - time travel is always tricky and seems to leave major plot holes.  I never understood why Kang wouldn't pull a terminator and just off the parents of everyone who ever opposed him.  In the comics, Kang's conqueror nature was often offset by his older, more responsible persona Immortus.  If Kang started changing the timeline, Immortus would bring in the Avengers to stop him, but that's a lot of set up to bring into one movie.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2011, 12:59 PM »
Looks like Cap's Avengers movie costume is on display at SDCC, looks pretty nifty:

http://i.marvelousnews.com/g/index.php?mode=album&album=2011_San_Diego_Comic_Con%2FMovie&dispsize=600&start=0

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2011, 05:47 PM »
Looks like Cap's Avengers movie costume is on display at SDCC, looks pretty nifty:

http://i.marvelousnews.com/g/index.php?mode=album&album=2011_San_Diego_Comic_Con%2FMovie&dispsize=600&start=0

Here it is as a figure as well, along with variations of previous Thor and Iron Man figs.  Pretty sweet.

http://marvelousnews.com/index.php?catid=23&itemid=14267

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2011, 09:28 PM »
This Gothamist article has some shots of the Avengers shoot that is underway in Cleveland, OH.

Feedback

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2011, 01:13 PM »
Here it is as a figure as well, along with variations of previous Thor and Iron Man figs.  Pretty sweet.

http://marvelousnews.com/index.php?catid=23&itemid=14267

Ok - here's a silly question. At the end of IM2 he had the Mark VI and that has a triangle shaped reactor in the center of his chest, yet the Avengers version of the figure is a circle.

Is the Avengers movie set in-between the events of Iron Man and Iron Man 2?

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!