Author Topic: Vintage Collection Wave 11 - ROTJ Deleted Scenes  (Read 59752 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: 2011 "Vintage" Collection Wave 11 - ROTJ Deleted Scenes
« Reply #135 on: March 5, 2012, 10:53 PM »

Luke wears that belt on Home One

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #136 on: March 5, 2012, 11:33 PM »
I actually just watched the only Luke scene on the briefing and you really can't see the belt in the movie...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #137 on: March 6, 2012, 12:06 AM »
Did he have it on Dagobah maybe?  that's really weird.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #138 on: March 6, 2012, 01:37 AM »
(Mc)Cracken is pretty cool...  I was looking forward to him, but I have some nits to pick on him too.  I first find the the lack of gear with him disappointing...  He has his helmet on in scenes, so the least they could do is give you the helmet for the guy.  He's half re-used parts too it seems, so why not give you the friggin' helmet.  Hell, for this price give you the headset too.  Be nice.

He's sculpted to either have a bit of a stomach, or "poof" to his costume...  It comes off weird because the belt is so recessed underneath the overlap there.  Oh, and once again a Trooper with a belt and holster.  Thanks for that on that Fleet Trooper Hasbro.  ::)  But it's a good holster on (Mc)Cracken and it's functional and so that's good at least.

One big disappointment on the Colonel though...  The pins on his shoulders.  I rarely cite this as something I'm upset about, but on Cracken it really REALLY shows.  They're bright tan on the darker brown vest.  Really horrible looking and a shame because the sculpt is pretty fantastic overall, but marred by this.

Back to accessories (Mc)Cracken comes with, the big gun is perplexing...  It reminds me of the Jabba's Nikto with the big deck gun.  WTF was that thing designed to go with!?  Well, Col. McCracken has an equally perplexing accessory with his bazooka weapon that has two plugs on it that look like it maybe was intended to go with some vehicle or something.  Weird.  Not very detailed either, kind of cheap looking.  It seems like a weapon from another era almost.

I think (Mc)Cracken is a pretty nice figure too. My gripes and praises pretty much jive with yours but I have one more issue. Why is he wearing a totally different shirt than in the movie & card art??? The figure has lapels that come over his vest deal whereas the costume is more of a jumpsuit with a velcro collar/neck. That to me is more weird than the BMF gun he comes with.

Regarding the gun, I combed over the BMF tonight to see if I could find some corresponding ports to accept the pegs that are on either side of the cannon and couldn't find a thing. I was hoping that there would be a nice little easter eggs/surprise maybe on the escape pod. Nope. Maybe the gun is cross compatible with those lame AMP'd ships or work on the Clone Wars mini-rigs (ex. Rep. Scout Speeder) that have all the ports on them. Sure, extra weapons are nice, but not at the expense of gear like a helmet, commlink/headset, commando rifle or backpack. Heck even some Falcon console or data pad would have been better than that elephant gun pack-in.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #139 on: March 6, 2012, 03:34 AM »
Interesting on the collar detail Jayson, I missed that...  Is that compared to the card art or the photo?  I can't find his real photo in the thread here but i know one turned up...  That's pretty crummy if they didn't get him totally accurate.  I'm not too peeved since he's a cut scene character but it will be on my mind now.

Weird fact, there's a "Rebel Technician Officer" on Yavin, the guy chatting on the headsets to the pilots, who has a collared "Fleet Trooper Style" shirt, but seems to basically have a Technicians outfit on otherwise...  It's weird that he got a unique outfit, but hey, whatever.

Anyway back to Cracken, yeah that's annoying about his collar now...  He's such an odd figure in general, since they sort of already did him with the Saga Endor Rebel white guy variation, but I liked this one a lot more...  He's certainly flawed though, and I'd also say that i find his legs annoying and wish they'd used the Major Panno/Endor Rebel legs again.  they're better IMO.  These are ok, but incredibly stiff at the joints, which the Saga Endor Rebel was as well...  Not sure why they went with them, but whatever.

I still plan to army build Cracken some though, but he's not the winner of the wave...  Lando is that IMO with the Mon Cal A-Winger in a close 2nd maybe (cuz I love army builders more than because he's just amazing or anything), and maybe Luke 3rd, Cracken 4th, and Leia 5th because I just am not a huge Leia fan...  all good figures, just all have their ups and downs, except Lando really, haha.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #140 on: March 6, 2012, 10:44 AM »
blah blah blah...[snip]

Leia is mostly re-used, and I didn't buy her, but she has a lot going for her since the body was fantastic and the head is new.  The robes are nice, she has removable goggles...  It's a nice figure regardless of the re-used parts.

[/snip]blah blah blah

BUT, the real question, the one you did not answer - How do Leia's goggles look on Col. Vogel???

I may end up buying an extra just to slap those on Vogel to make him a bit more accurate...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 6, 2012, 12:13 PM »
I got a chance to open these this week as well (aside from Leia), and it really is a nice wave.  I can't say that I was overly excited for it before hand (although I was glad to have them), but once opening them up it is really a well done mix of figures.  Lando is my favorite as well.  I've been hoping for a nice modern update of the Skiff Lando, and this one delivers.  The skin tone seems maybe a tad light to me, but otherwise I'm happy with it.  Another one of those "ultimate" figures knocked off the list - and I'd like to get a couple more.  The Pilot and Cracken are both very nice figures too, as well as Luke and Leia.  Just a really nice wave overall.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #142 on: March 6, 2012, 03:15 PM »
Lando's headsculpt is almost identical to the General version from last year...but the paint apps are 1000 times better.  The General one is missing something and it looks really bad, try a simple head swap of the two and see what I mean

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #143 on: March 6, 2012, 04:20 PM »
Leia's goggles, ironically, are more akin to actual goggles from WW2, at least that I've seen in pictures of Germans wearing goggles.  Vogels don't look too typical there, but Leia's aren't like Vogels...  If that makes any sense.

You may be further ahead taking some with the complete band on them, soften it in hot water, and put it on over Vogel's hat...  They're not totally accurate either but they ahve a full band on them, whereas Leia's are like mini sunglasses. :)

Paul might be able to relay if Vogel's goggles are accurate, not that it's important to anyone but myself and Paul really, but his almost look more (in shape anyway) to like Chewbacca's welding goggles. 

Leia's goggles are also a little small...  Not sure they'll fit over the hat since I assume it's a wider headsculpt in general than Leia's...  I don't have my Leia or I'd give it a whirl.  I'm still waiting on her, but she does look sweet.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #144 on: March 7, 2012, 09:34 PM »
Scott, I compared Lando Pilot and Lando Deleted Scene tonight really close, and Sandstorm Lando's a new headsculpt but has similarities.  If I were a betting man I'd guess it was maybe based on the Pilot's headsculpt even, like someone refined it a little.

The color is a lot better on the Sandstorm figure, and he has a much nicer paintjob in general.  Also the details are a hair more crisp, and "hair" is kind of a pun...  like the mustache has some "hair line" to its sculpt compared to Pilot Lando's stache which is a bit more smooth and thicker.  There's little subtle differences.

It's funny but when you compare Lando and Lando, you really see what's not right about Pilot Lando...  He's too tall, first of all.  The face is off, the skin tone seems off...  He's just not right, but Sandstorm Lando's really nice. 

Pilot Lando's fine by me, good enough, but definitely not as high quality as Sandstorm Lando is.  It's all subtle differences, but it's definitely differences...  and forget the **** looking collar on that pilot lando cape.  I love the cape, but the collar thing is just pure poop.  I'm gonna remove that on mine I think, and try to find a thread that matches it, since it was kind of just a braid holding his cloak together.

The heads do not swap by the way.  :-\  If you WANTED to, and wanted to put work into it, you could fill Sandstorm Lando's head with epoxy and dremel out the hole again to fit Pilot Lando's body.  No painting, but more than a basic headswap for sure.  Sorry. :(

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 7, 2012, 11:46 PM »
JJ, sorry I missed your earlier question: I did in fact have to remove Jerjerrod's cap with an x-acto blade, but it was something I had done much earlier for another diorama, so no new work here.  By the way, I wanted to ask you (or anyone else reading): do you have any need for a few headless/gloveless A-Wing pilots from the previous release?  I intend on making at least 2 more when I find Mon Cal pilots, and I'd hate to waste the leftover pilot bodies.  I thought of you since you tend to army build rebels to some extent.  Let me know!
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 7, 2012, 11:50 PM »
The heads do not swap by the way.  :-\  If you WANTED to, and wanted to put work into it, you could fill Sandstorm Lando's head with epoxy and dremel out the hole again to fit Pilot Lando's body.  No painting, but more than a basic headswap for sure.  Sorry. :(

Welp, I was gonna buy a second for that reason. Might still do it and give it a shot.

Let us know when you work on the cape on Pilot Lando too, I want to copy your work because I hate it (it being the cape, not your work :)).
« Last Edit: March 8, 2012, 12:25 AM by Diddly »
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #147 on: March 7, 2012, 11:50 PM »
I'm open to just about any random figure bits for my fodder bin, honestly.  I haven't thrown away much that's action figure related in quite some time, haha.

Diddly, I'd just look around your local fabric or craft store (Jo Ann or Michaels) and find a thread that matches the cape's color.  Thicker thread is better, or you could make your own thicker thread by weaving it together till it is thicker...  And then just sew it in place of where the big goofy band is.  That's basically all Lando has holding his cape together though, is a "rope" that's the same color as the cape, if I'm not mistaken.  That's what I plan on doing eventually.

For the head swap, it's doable if you have a dremel, and some epoxy.  I rough up the inside of the head, and put in the 2-part epoxy (sort of refill it but don't have any of it visible if you can avoid that.  Then I just dremel out the inside of the head and test fit it (and repeat the steps till you get a good fit) on the neckpeg.  You rough up the inside of the head so the epoxy has something to "grab" onto.  Makes it more sturdy is all.  Some Devcon Plastic Welder 2-part epoxy from the home improvement aisle should work then.

It's a better head, but it still has that double chin thing going on that the Pilot figure.  No clue what's up there.  That's what really makes me think it's, at least in part, based on the Pilot figure's headsculpt, but maybe cleaned up and detailed a little better.  Maybe it's a better pull from a mold or something even?  I have no clue.
« Last Edit: March 7, 2012, 11:54 PM by Jesse James »

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 8, 2012, 11:26 AM »
The real challenge comes for an update of the Battle Poncho Endor Luke
because if Hasbro uses the belt from deleted scene (construction saber), the working holster must be added too for the blaster.

Like all this way, hope the figures arrive to my country this march.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 14, 2012, 06:20 PM »
still have not seen any of these at retail and it looks as if the Luke from this wave is the only character being carried forward so far in case 4.1

:-\