Author Topic: Walmart "Discover the Force" TPM3D Basic Figures  (Read 86603 times)

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Walmart "Discover the Force" 3D Movie Figure Wave
« Reply #120 on: February 8, 2012, 08:06 PM »
I never thought I would go on the hunt for Ric Olie...

Yeah that's how you can tell that you've really bottomed out.

Its funny because I found this wave today too, a case worth, and he was the only one not on the pegs!  I had the eerie feeling he was hiding and staring right at me but alas I could not find creepin Ric Olie.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #121 on: February 8, 2012, 09:22 PM »
Found these tonight in bulk...

My nearby WM had the aisle display which was packed.  The yellow droid is REALLY packed in a lesser quantity if what i saw is true.  I dug through them looking for a 2nd of him, and I had a hard time finding it, but by my eyes I was the first person to touch this display.  Everything was pristine on it.

Also this WM had a few sets on pegs in the main aisle as well.

Also put out all the new Legos.  I shall have those Endor Rebels and Sandtroopers once a sale hits. :)  Patience will pay off for me.

On the DtF front though, great figures...  I'm going to probably pick up a couple Naboo pilots over time (1 of each for some headsculpt variety to swap onto Rebel pilots and vice versa).  I think I'm going to pass on too many extras though.  Other than the pilots, an extra droid, and an extra Aurra Sing (one of the coolest figures ever IMO, just by looking at her on the card), that's plenty.  No extra Gungans for me, no unnecessary rehashes like the Tusken...  They're cool but I've gotta cut back.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #122 on: February 8, 2012, 10:42 PM »
Also noticed Mawhonic's flag...

I hadn't seen any of these flags in person and didn't really look closely at them in the boxed set when I saw it at TRU, but opening Mawhonic really opened my eyes to just how cheap these flags are.

The flagpole is a Geonosian Pike if I'm not mistaken, and the flag is a flimsy cheap plastic just taped on.  I thought a fabric was what we'd get.  Wow.  Jayson's downloads are as good or better an option to go with IMO.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 8, 2012, 11:25 PM »
Finally found this whole wave tonight at Walmart on my way home, and my experience was the same as Dressel's - they had exactly one case out on the pegs right by the MH and CW stuff. I see they used a black bottom coloration to differentiate between the other lines.

I picked up the only one I wanted - Aurra, but she looks like a dude. Not a very flattering sculpt compared to the image on the card. Very glad to have this checked off my list though.

Also saw the new Walmart BP's, also in the regular aisle with everything else. The Droid set is kind of sharp.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #124 on: February 9, 2012, 12:16 AM »
Found about four cases at my local WM tonight. I don't know if they had a display or what, since everything was on pegs and the other exclusives were present also. I picked up Mawhonic, G8-R3, the Naboo pilots, a Gungan, and the Droid BP. Debated on the Droideka and Aurra Sing, but I'll wait and see on those.

I really thought Mawhonic was a bigger character. He's not even taller than an R2 unit. But this is a great group of figures.  :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 9, 2012, 01:06 AM »
Sweet Score Ben, they have any left over

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #126 on: February 9, 2012, 01:44 AM »
Opened it all...

I have to say, with little doubt at the moment barring something really eye-popping impressing me at Toy Fair, that Aurra Sing is maybe the finest single action figure we will receive in 2012.

What's more though, she actually LACKS articulation in the ankles!

I like ankle joints, don't get me wrong, but she's a prime example that Hasbro CAN eliminate ankle joints (so long as they keep the ankles/feet "straight and flat"), and a figure can be outstanding in every way and supremely poseable IMO.

She rocks a bitchin' briefcase with cool sculpted details inside.  On one side she has some computery looking stuff that looks like it might work with her antenna implant in her noggin.  There's no paint to it, and there should be, but it's still really cool.  On the other side though are four compartments with "padding" sculpted to them that each snugly hold lightsaber hilts. 

She features four saber hilts, and unfortunately one appears to be Anakins and one appears to be either Jedi Luke's or Prequal Obi-Wan's (I'm not a saber expert to immediately recognize the differences), and a third is fairly unique.  Also the sabers are molded grey like the brief case and that detracts from them a bit.  You may wanna replace them with some die-cast Saga ones you can nab cheap (I'm gonna go this route).  The silver will pop in the case I think.

She has two working holsters and a sniper rifle.  The pistols are a bitching sculpt, all the weapons have deco on them too.

The deco on Sing is nice...  Not really dirtied up much but the eyes are kind of nice for a figure these days and there's silver on the antenna, etc.  Her hair's a separate sculpt and has a nice paintjob to it.  Her vest is removable (as is her pistol belt!).

She's got the pretty basic "Super Articulation" going on except her torso is a swivel joint just under her boobies (which hides it astonishingly well), and again no ankle joints.

The sculpt is pretty good/accurate to the film...  She's got that gaunt creepy look to her face and the body has the well built curves to it.  I was really impressed with the little details put into the body suit, and the little things like the way her fingers are sculpted so thin and separated differently on each hand (gives her hands a little "life").

Anyway, all that said, she's OUTSTANDING.

Hands down, I really have to be impressed by whatever figures are debuted from here on out in just about every category.  Aurra's lack of ankles is really a non-issue, as she's completely poseable, and I'm anxious to put her up with a good realistic Baby Boba Fett someday!

I'm really surprised...  I was kind of disinterested in figures, but this one really caught me as high quality.  The rest are nice, but this one is nnnnnnice.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 9, 2012, 02:05 AM »
Jesse, by any chance do you have the Clone Wars Aurra to compare the realistic one to? I had been assuming they were reusing parts of, or most of the same sculpt from that one.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #128 on: February 9, 2012, 02:22 AM »
I don't have it in my hand at this moment, but I would say absolutely NO parts are re-used.  The only thing that might be from a previous figure is the sniper rifle...  And that I am not sure on.  The figure is 100% new as far as I can tell.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 9, 2012, 04:35 PM »
I found Ric Olie at another WM - I am good now.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 9, 2012, 05:54 PM »
Found these this week... passed on the astro droid because I just didn't feel like buying it after buying the asto 4-pk...

Aurra Sing - This is a 10/10 figure, and looks to be 100% new unless they reused the hair from the POTJ mold, which I don't think they did.  Hasbro nailed the likeness, articulation is great, nice paint application, awesome accessories, great dual holsters, etc.  I love this figure.

Ric Olie - Very cool, I like everything about this figure, he's a definite upgrade over the 1999 version.  The only part that isn't exciting is the fabric coat.  It looks kind of silly compared to the stellar sculpt of the actual figure.

Naboo Pilot - Same as Ric Olie, only a different head and the helmet's goggles are positioned different.  Really like this guy... though the paint job around the hair wasn't that great.  The "skin" is bleeding up into the hair somewhat.

Destroyer Droid - Just a repaint of the TAC version, but this is by far the best sculpt of this droid, and I decided to spring for another for my droid army. 

Gungan Warrior - Really like this... the Legacy version was great, but this one seems even better.  I think it's the subdued paint scheme?  Either way, it's a fantastic figure and I'd like to get a couple more.

Mawhonic - Wow, like some have said, this figure is even weirder in person.  It's so tiny... and looks so damn strange!  I'd expect that a Gran that is a child (guess he's a child?) would have a larger head... but the sculpt is downright amazing... as is the articulation.  This seems like a shrunked down figure... the sculptor did an amazing job.  They even got the hole in his left ear added in.  I snuck him into work today and he's been keeping me company at my desk.  He also went to lunch with me, and has made it into the restroom a few times.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 9, 2012, 06:38 PM »
Jesse, by any chance do you have the Clone Wars Aurra to compare the realistic one to? I had been assuming they were reusing parts of, or most of the same sculpt from that one.

Ask and you shall receive.  Unless you ask for money.  Then ask and you probably won't receive.

Oh and the sniper rifle is completely different too.  Same size roughly, but a different sculpt.

Love me the Naboo Pilots.  Grabbed 4 more today.  Ric Olie is everywhere here, if you guys seriously can't find him within a few more days PM me and I'll try to get him for you.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 9, 2012, 06:44 PM »
just commented on your FB page, but to me, that Aurra looks too small.  Anyone else think so? Or is she accurate this way?

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 9, 2012, 06:49 PM »
just commented on your FB page, but to me, that Aurra looks too small.  Anyone else think so? Or is she accurate this way?

I don't know, but as I was opening the figure tonight I started thinking to myself, had I bumped into Aurra on my college campus and we were both single, I might not have said no.  It just got weird until I opened Ric Olie and then I started feeling a little more normal again.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 9, 2012, 06:55 PM »
Okay just looked this up.  Michonne Bourriague is the actress who played Aurra Sing and she is 5'9". So I'm guessing Hasbro did underscale the new one somewhat.