Author Topic: Boba Fett: The Movie  (Read 5876 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Boba Fett: The Movie
« on: July 29, 2011, 03:40 AM »
http://www.firstshowing.net/2011/joe-johnston-directing-a-boba-fett-movie-just-might-save-star-wars/

That's right, apparently Johnston is in the process of trying to get George Lucas to make a feature length Star Wars film centered around everyone's favorite bounty hunter Boba Fett. Though his appearances in The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi are brief, the character has become one of the most recognizable and loved characters in the Star Wars universe and has since enjoyed plenty of attention in various books, comics and video games taking place in Lucas' galaxy far, far away. However, this is the first time that a film based around the infamous character has been discussed by higher powers in the industry. When asked if he would direct the film, Johnston said, "I would like to, it would be a lot of fun.”

I personally hope this is an early/late April Fools joke and that there is no serious discussion of this horrible idea actually going on in San Francisco.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Boba Fett: The Movie
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 08:11 AM »
I hope it's a joke because I like the mystic around him in Empire and Jedi: a badass that says little but looks cool just standing there. Of course, it would be cool to see something around him, but it could be a pre-Empire movie with Daniel Logan and teen Fett just doesn't appeal (to me). His little Anakin bits in Slave I while he and dad are chasing Obi-Wan in the asteroid field were a bit much.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 12:51 PM »
While I hope that this isn't something that is serious, I have to wonder if this coming to light because the live action series, which has been shelved, was supposed to involve Boba Fett.

If there is a solid idea that would have served as the 2-hour pilot of the series, I could see them making a theatrical release movie out of it.

If you think about it - it would make sense, use the fact that it's a movie to bring in more funding for better CGI-based effects and to build a library of effects elements.

Then if the movie does well, you have better pull with TV execs and advertisers - "this series is going to pick up where the hit Star Wars: Boba Fett movie left off!"

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 12:57 PM »
I could see an animated feature for him/bounty hunters.  Kids love that stuff...  His mystique was pretty much ended by EU and the cartoon and stuff, so I'm not totally against it.  Live-action  I'm less into...  maybe.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 1, 2011, 03:11 PM »
I think I'll hold out for "Bossk: the movie"

After that they could make "IG-88: the movie" and the three of them could join forces in "Bounty Hunter Guild" directed by Joss Whedon. Of course Sam Jackson has to have a camo in there because that is the Law.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 1, 2011, 03:29 PM »
Maybe Bounty Hunters: the Movie. I'd love to see all 6 ESB bounty hunters in action... I suppose they could even throw in other bounty hunters, like Greedo or Rum Sleg in if the timeline works.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 1, 2011, 05:58 PM »
If they really want to do this, they'd better get moving.  The last couple of things I've seen Temeura Morrison in, he's looked a little haggard.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 1, 2011, 06:45 PM »
If they really want to do this, they'd better get moving.  The last couple of things I've seen Temeura Morrison in, he's looked a little haggard.

I just noticed him in Couples Retreat which was running throughout the weekend on HBO and he didn't look too bad in that. How old is that movie, 2 years old?
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 1, 2011, 08:45 PM »
I think the idea of a bounty hunter movie sounds cool...it's just a question of whether they would do it right.  Imagine something similar to Predator, but with Boba Fett as the hunter.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 1, 2011, 08:55 PM »

I just noticed him in Couples Retreat which was running throughout the weekend on HBO and he didn't look too bad in that. How old is that movie, 2 years old?

True.  I just remember seeing him in the STARZ series SPARTACUS - GODS OF THE ARENA and he looked pretty beat up then.  I guess some of that may have been the character.

Feedback

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 2, 2011, 02:41 PM »
This is one of those things that will never live up to expectations. Much like the clone wars, every Star Wars fan had his or her own image of what they were like, and seeing GL's idea hit the big screen led to widespread disappointment. Not that the story is bad, it just does not compare to 25 years of imagination. Just look at my kids generation. They actually like the prequel trilogy.
   Fett is too iconic. Every child who grew up with that figure took him on countless adventures. Most of which would outshine anything that would make it to the screen. Don't get me wrong, I would be one of the first in line to see this, but I fear I would leave disappointed.
    Now, a bounty hunters show where new and old bounty hunters dash around the universe looking for marks still has great appeal.That way each week you could compare the writers imagination to your own without having to risk further tarnishing the hundreds of thousands of different images of Fett we all created as kids.

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 11:18 PM »
Well supposedly the main problem with the TV series is trying to get it made under a certain budget.  If that can't be met and Lucas really wants the story told.  The next logical step is a live action movie series.  I would assume that would be 3 films.  Put Vader in it at some point and it may not be a bad move at all. 

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 11:14 AM »
This whole Boba Fett feature film idea may be an attempt to salvage the live action series concept which we've been hearing about since around 2007.  And no doubt, an overwhelming problem with doing a television series is that the ad revenues and ratings at the major networks are down.  The audience has been dilluted by the explosion of cable and satellite tv.  That downturn in ad revenue means that the budget for a tv show HAS to remain manageable. 

Effects budgets are coming down.  There are a lot more digital effects houses today, and computer processing power is far greater today than it was when The Phantom Menace was in production in the late 1990's.  And with those advances we've seen effects heavy feature films like Skyline get made for between $10 - $20 million.  But can a Star Wars television show generate the advertising revenue to produce a series?  Or is a Bounty Hunter based feature film the more economical way to go?  This whole thing could really boil down to what makes the most business sense.

I honestly think that one of the better options that all parties involved should explore is a short run, hour-long series on cable.  HBO proved that the audience is there with Game of Thrones.  A 10 - 13 episode run of Star Wars - Bounty Hunters on HBO  would probably be better than a Boba Fett feature, or a 20 episode run on TNT.

Feedback

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 11:43 AM »
Not all good tales depend on technology. Of course Lucas is free to profit his character, but in the end he will
give Boba another face, he will dispatch Temeura to Kessel mines. ;)

What will happen if they said that Boba could fire 8 blasters at a time before A New Hope?
Only would be a try to diminish his spoils on the classic saga.

But I donŽt want to seem purist neither intolerant, the producers are using the feedback from EU
so if the product is not appealing I wonŽt watch it.

Of course, IŽll pass on collection items, toys from this Boba production.