Author Topic: New York Comic Con 2011  (Read 49215 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: New York Comic Con 2011
« Reply #165 on: October 15, 2011, 09:11 AM »
All anyone ever does around here is bitch and complain about how ****** Legends sell - "the pegs are overflowing with this crap!"  If Legends are so ****** and don't sell, then why not try something different?  Why not swing the pendulum back to "action features" and light-up sabers and see if that brings in the kiddos?

Yeah, but why not just do away with that garbage altogether? This line is an anachronism. I don't know anyone who likes it. They make poor figure choices, use poor sculpts, and command entirely too much real estate on the toy aisles. In the past 3 years I have NEVER seen anyone buy one of these figures. I can't tell you how sick I am of having to clear this dreck off the Clone Wars pegs every time I go into a store.

I know it's a pure cash grab that Hasbro always claims helps to finance their other lines but that's not compelling to me as a consumer. I really wish Walmart or Target or even TRU would start cutting back on their orders for this line and the amount of peg space dedicated to it. TVC and TCW should have at least 3 rows each and no more than 1 for MH.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 15, 2011, 09:33 AM »
Yeah, I see Movie Heroes as a kid-target figure line and Vintage is more for the hard-core collector. Why not go for that route with action figures when you are releasing the movies in theaters again. The kids who love the movies are in the 70s and 80s are now parents that want to share the enjoyment with their own kids. So it gives something for the younger generation to buy.

The only bad thing about the light-up features is that once the batteries are dead, you can't replace them.  :-\ They did say it's a long-lasting battery, though.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 15, 2011, 10:33 AM »
Echoing what others have said....overall I'm a little underwhelmed as well.  There is a lot of stuff on the way that I'm pretty excited about (new TVC figures in particular), but I'm a little worried about the amount of TPM stuff coming next year.  It is nice to see the focus on a movie that doesn't get it very often, but at the same time I'm not entirely convinced that the 3D release is going to be this huge smash that all the kids will be lining up to get toys from.  The nicer figures in the Movie Heroes line (Wave 2 Anakin, Jar Jar, etc.) could be tough to find if we have a ton of Wave 1 stuff shipping.  I could see those easily slipping into the TVC line instead, but oh well.

The re-releasing of really old stuff just seems silly though.  It seems like they had gotten away from that for the most part for awhile, but it looks like we're seeing really old version of Obi-Wan, Jango, Chewie, and Han in those battle packs, not to mention some of the other stuff shown.  They have better (perfect) versions available of all those figures, why not include those?  We've always complained about "repacks" over the years, but it seems like it hasn't been as bad recently.  This is a return to some badness, and I could see those Battle Packs clogging the shelves quite a bit.  Not a huge deal, as they are more kid focused as well for the most part, but I just don't get it.  Like Scott mentioned, I wonder if sales are struggling a bit or something.

I can't remember where I read it now (it may have been a play-by-play of the Panel somewhere), but I thought they said something like 15 new CW figures for 2012 (that number may be off, but it was low).  I know they can cruise on repacks for a lot of that line, but it is really getting pushed aside for the TPM push (and TVC, if that 55 number holds up - even with re-releases).  Seeing as TPM is fairly universally the least liked movie of the Saga, I wonder how things will look each year as another movie is released (if successful).  Might be some slim times for CW collectors.

Overall, some neat stuff shown that I'm still excited for, but it will be interesting to see how the line does in the coming months/years.  Like it was said, Legends wasn't exactly tearing things up, so I don't fault them for trying something new either - and the light up saber things (although obviously not for collectors) is something kind of cool for kiddos.  My main worry is that they are putting a little too much TPM stuff out there, and it might not move for awhile.  They seem to think it is going to be more popular this time around or something.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 15, 2011, 10:41 AM »
You guys are glossing over the big news...

The Squeeknie Battle guys.  We got a good 10 minutes of this stuff and a preview of the commercial and were told how exciting this new segment was for us.  They did assure us that this would not supplant the 3.75in line.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 15, 2011, 12:47 PM »
Jedi Force, squeeknies things...movie heroes....everything to get the kids back...yet, CW seems to be an after thought now?

Some more lapses in logic:

Selbulba's pod is a main line release but its pilot is thus far only coming with an exclusive battle pack.

The Naboo fighter is mainline release, but its pilots are initially exclusives, and the fighter's opponent,  The Vulture droid is also an exclusive.

Season 3 Ahsoka not in the CW waves. Why reship a main character?

No ARC trooper reshipping, despite CW Arc being retail gold.

The Blu-Ray 4 packs used mostly current molds, but the 2012 value battle packs will be using stuff from 8 to 12 years ago?

A battle pack saying that Jango Fett battles clone in the Geonosis Arena.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 15, 2011, 01:46 PM »

The Squeeknie Battle guys.  We got a good 10 minutes of this stuff and a preview of the commercial and were told how exciting this new segment was for us.  They did assure us that this would not supplant the 3.75in line.

LOL!

but seriously though, I showed my 8 year old and he thought they looked cool

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 15, 2011, 01:54 PM »

Hey, it's 130 figures in a year! I don't recall if those included the hidden/chase figures. It's funny that the panel said they didn't want to get into chase figures, but then say some pods will be 'dark' so you don't know who's in said pod and that the figure would be random.

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 15, 2011, 06:21 PM »
where is the search for Luke skywalker BP ?

Offline bellboy

• Youngling
  • So be it, "Jedi"
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 15, 2011, 06:50 PM »
That's what I want to know too. Where is it?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #174 on: October 15, 2011, 09:07 PM »
I'm thinking because it's going to be out fairly soon (found overseas already) that it just wasn't brought maybe to NYCC?  Cool set though even if Han's in blue. :P
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline DarthPooPoo

• Youngling
  • I eat mop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 15, 2011, 10:05 PM »
And where is the Mandalorian Attack Transport?  Is it still coming?
Time travel.  All you wanna do is go back and slap a hippie.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 15, 2011, 10:11 PM »
It wasn't in the display case.  But on the vehicle front, the Naboo starfighter looked AWESOME.  So much of an improvement from the original Episode I version!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 15, 2011, 10:27 PM »
At the Hasbro panel, they talked about the Join The Jedi contest. First thing I thought of: Star Wars Kid. Dude should win that retroactively.

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 16, 2011, 01:15 AM »
is 3PO in the Mos Espa BP new ? or a repaint ? I can't tell

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 16, 2011, 09:42 AM »
Guess I'm going to have to wait another couple of years, when the OT starts coming out in 3-D, before I'm excited about all the new product getting released. Don't get me wrong, everything from TFM looks fantastic, but I don't think I can support the PT anymore.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."