Collectibles > Vintage Kenner

Vintage Figure Release Dates?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Pete_Fett:

--- Quote from: P-Siddy on August  8, 2011, 02:06 PM ---Yeah, I'm sure you could pick up figures before Jedi. I remember that they had the Ewoks blotted out, to keep them secret. Not sure if they did that with Empire. Plus, didn't they have a mail-away for a Jedi figure before it came out?

--- End quote ---

Wasn't it Admiral Ackbar?

Brian:
I was sort of thinking the same thing about ROTJ as well, but I was also five at the time so I can't remember for sure.  I thought that I had Jedi Luke and Trenchcoat Han prior to the movie, or possibly it was soon after - just can't remember that well now.  I do remember the "blacked out" ewoks and stuff though.  Was Empire similar?  I don't remember there being black outs then, but I was wondering if the stuff was out prior to the movie or anything.  Such a different time back then, as I'm sure there weren't people using DCPIs to get stuff from the back, or that people were even aware of a "street date".  When you found it on the shelves, it was out.  Similar to how the only way I knew what was out (or coming out) is by what was on the cardback.  Kind of miss those days, although it isn't realistic to have it that way now.

P-Siddy:

--- Quote from: Pete_Fett on August  8, 2011, 02:31 PM ---
--- Quote from: P-Siddy on August  8, 2011, 02:06 PM ---Yeah, I'm sure you could pick up figures before Jedi. I remember that they had the Ewoks blotted out, to keep them secret. Not sure if they did that with Empire. Plus, didn't they have a mail-away for a Jedi figure before it came out?

--- End quote ---

Wasn't it Admiral Ackbar?

--- End quote ---

That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure. And I think Jedi was the only movie where they blacked out figures after having thought more about it.

Pete_Fett:

--- Quote from: Brian on August  8, 2011, 02:36 PM ---I was sort of thinking the same thing about ROTJ as well, but I was also five at the time so I can't remember for sure.  I thought that I had Jedi Luke and Trenchcoat Han prior to the movie, or possibly it was soon after - just can't remember that well now.  I do remember the "blacked out" ewoks and stuff though.  Was Empire similar?  I don't remember there being black outs then, but I was wondering if the stuff was out prior to the movie or anything.  Such a different time back then, as I'm sure there weren't people using DCPIs to get stuff from the back, or that people were even aware of a "street date".  When you found it on the shelves, it was out.  Similar to how the only way I knew what was out (or coming out) is by what was on the cardback.  Kind of miss those days, although it isn't realistic to have it that way now.

--- End quote ---

On a smaller scale it looks like they're getting back to that kind of thing with how they're doing the backs of the Vintage line starting next year. That's going to be cool.

I definitely remembering those days - getting REALLY excited over the figures shown on the back of the cards and items in the catalogs that came with vehicles and playsets.

Darby:
Jedi toys were available prior to the movie, at least two weeks before as I remember very clearly finding them at K-Mart with about that long to go (there was sort of a countdown printed in the local paper on the movie times page, which I clipped out every day).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version