Author Topic: College Sports 2011-2012  (Read 4907 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
College Sports 2011-2012
« on: August 14, 2011, 04:07 PM »
Figured I'd start up a thread even though only a handful of us keep up with college sports.

So the football season is less than 3 weeks away, and the big story going on now is the possible addition of my alma mater Texas A&M to the Southeastern Conference. I don't think we jump, especially after what happened last year, but it's pretty funny watching ESPN report on A&M "running away due to greed and ego"... and then listening to them shilling Texas' new glorified Pay Per View network. Yep, no bias there.

Anyone else tuning in on September 3?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: College Sports 2011-2012
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 07:39 PM »
Love college football, glad SEC gave thumbs down to Texas A&M for now, at least.  I prefer the traditional conference alignments. Clemson needs to stick with the ACC for sure too. Flroida State I don't care so much about either way.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 04:11 PM »
Summing up recent news:

- Texas A&M sends a formal letter to the Big 12 informing them they might be leaving

- Miami is about to get F'd in the A for the Nevin Shapiro scandal

- LSU QB Jordan Jefferson and some other LB arrested/suspended for a barfight

Kickoff in 6 days!

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: November 9, 2011, 11:20 AM »
How sad that this is the way Paterno ends up retiring.

What a horrible situtation - hopefully the other universities out there will use this as a learning experience and deal with scumbags instead of helping to shelter them to save their own school reputation.    :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 9, 2011, 11:26 AM »
He's getting off easy. He should be fired effective immediately.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 9, 2011, 01:01 PM »
Disagree, of all the parade of despicable scumbags in this story, Paterno bears the least culpability. He reported the abuse when it came to his attention and is not in any way, shape, or form a target of the criminal investigation.

I can understand the argument that he should have done more or did not pursue the matter vigorously enough, but that is a moral failing, not a criminal or institutional violation. They really had no grounds to fire him because there was no actual breach of contract on his part.

I don't think he is getting off easy at all, he's being forced to retire under a cloud of disgrace and his legacy will forever be tainted, right or wrong, because of this shameful tragedy. And more to the point, I do believe he is devastated by everything that has happened and will bear a lot of regret and sorrow over this until the day he dies.

Sandusky should simply be beaten to death with a ballpeen hammer, cut into pieces, lit on fire, and dumped into a landfill with the rest of the filth. Abhorrent piece of garbage.
« Last Edit: November 9, 2011, 01:02 PM by McMetal »
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 9, 2011, 01:43 PM »
He should be fired immediately.   He knew someone on his staff molested a kid and should have called the police, regardless of any Penn State policy.  It isn't like Sandusky got drunk at work or stole some petty cash, he freaking touched a kid.  For someone who is a parent and a grandparent and refers to his players as his "kids" he should have went above and beyond to make sure Sandusky was prosecuted.  He just let it go and thought the University would handle it.  Granted, the higher ups should be fired too for not getting this thing prosecuted.  However, Sandusky was seen as recent as last week at the Penn State football complex.  You don't let someone come back at all unless he has had his day in court and been cleared of the charges.  Paterno may have done that what was legally required of him but he sure as hell didn't live up to moral obligations.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 9, 2011, 03:05 PM »
He should be fired immediately.   He knew someone on his staff molested a kid and should have called the police, regardless of any Penn State policy. 

That is my thinking. The guy did a horrible crime and didn't pass it along to the proper authorities. Hell, if your house is burning down and you can't get out, you sure don't call you sister first. You call 911.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 9, 2011, 05:15 PM »
That's what I don't get. That one Graduate Assistant (I think the current WR coach) actually saw Sandusky having his way with a boy in the shower. Rather than call the cops or beat Sandusky with the nearest blunt object, he calls his dad? What?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: November 9, 2011, 10:43 PM »
I hope they alerted the police before they decided to run with the press conference.  ::)  I've been up there when they rioted over a lot less.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 06:43 AM »
Wow and I thought I was upset when Tech got rid of Mike Leach. 

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 11:49 AM »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile