Author Topic: Well now your back's gonna hurt, 'cause you just pulled landscaping duty...  (Read 5022 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
So, I did something stupid today and got my finger caught in my bike's freewheel while cleaning it.  It (I) crushed the finger pretty good... it's swollen and cut up, but I don't think I broke it or anything.   I'm mentioning this here because the nail is pretty much cracked in half, although largely still attached.  I cut off the little bit that I could but cutting it any more is horribly painful. 

Has anyone around here ever done anything like this?   My understanding is that it will pretty much grow back slowly as the cracked nail grows out... but I'd love to hear more confirmation on this from someone who's done something similar.  Reading fingernail forums and Google is only getting me so far.  I've got it cleaned up, wrapped up, medicated and dry... I'm just trying to figure out if I have to do anything about the nail itself.

I can post a pretty disgusting photo if needed, but I'm assuming no one wants to see it.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Ouch Rob! That is gotta sting! I usually mess up my toes. I cracked my toe nail a few times. It grows back but it is just gross.

We need a picture. :o)
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
NSFL:

You asked for it...

Let me know if you can't see the link...

Also, it's cleaner now, some of that nastiness is from a sort of herbal neosporin to stop the bleeding.  I took the picture when we changed the bandaging.
« Last Edit: September 4, 2011, 10:52 PM by Rob »

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Bet that hurst like a ************!

I've worked with a lot of people who have lost a finger at a knuckle...don't worry...it's not going to happen here.  The nail should grow back, but you'll want to keep it clean and bandaged for a while.  Also, make sure the bandage stays clean.  You'll probably have to re-dress it daily.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Rob, that will grow back I think but you can expect it will take a solid 3 months before it looks normal again.

Also, make sure you let a physician look at it if you haven't already.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Thanks Matts, that's good to know.  I'm not worried about how long it takes to look normal, just wanted to be sure that it'll get there eventually.  I'm looking forward to the pain going away though, it's inconvenient as all hell. 

As for the physician.  Marin's Dad is ours, and I've spoken to him about it.  If anything abnormal happens over the next couple of days I'll go have someone here in town take a look.

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
I did something similar catching a baseball with a glove that was way too small. Don't be alarmed when your nail falls off. The new one will slowly grow in soft underneath it and then harden in time. It will take a while, but eventually you will never know it happened.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
I have a black spot on my big toe that is slowly growing out.  An unfortunate accident involving a dropped hammer while wearing sandals.   :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Ow ow ow.  Sorry Rob, I'm sure that sucks.  I would definitely get it checked out a doctor, just to make sure that its healing right.  They'll have the best idea of what to do to relieve pain and how long regrowth would take.  Best of luck to you...
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
That's nasty, Rob. Hope it heals well.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
Ouch. I smashed my middle finger in an armrest thing a few years back, and in yanking my finger out I ripped off the better part of the nail. I was in London on vacation and didnt have the faintest idea where to get medical attention so I just cleaned it up as best I could and kept it wrapped. By the time i got home, it no longer hurt like hell but the exposed nailbed was pretty sensitive. The rest of the nail never fell off and eventually it grew out (3-4 months iirc). Now it is just a tiny bit shorter than the corresponding nail on the opposite hand, which I consider the least among my various physical deformities.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
It's day 4 now, and it still kills.  Thankfully it's gotten to the point where it's not too bad unless I smack it on something or touch it.  I think once the swelling goes down the rest of the way it'll be a lot better.  Elevating it really seems to help a lot.
« Last Edit: September 7, 2011, 01:13 PM by Rob »

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
That's rough Rob - I know it must really hurt.  My husband does sheet metal fabrication on NASCAR race cars and years ago he pretty much sliced off his knuckle on his index finger.  After he got back to the shop from getting it stitched back together one of the older guys on the team told him he had a no fail remedy to make it better.  He told Chris he needed to take his finger home and soak it in cider. ::)
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
I love Tracy's family. They are such rednecks. :D
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
I love Tracy's family. They are such rednecks. :D

I would type a witty retort - but I am on my way out of the trailer to load my 6 screaming, dirty-faced kids into my pickup truck with the gunrack in the back.  I need to head on over to the Walmart to pick me up some more chewing tobacco and Boone's Farm.  I should be pretty easy to spot - I'll be the one with the curlers in my hair, with a snotty-faced baby on my hip and three more trailing behind drinking RC Cola out of a bottel and a rebel flag tattoo on my shoulder.   ;)
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(