Author Topic: Star Wars Trading Cards  (Read 4875 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Star Wars Trading Cards
« on: September 7, 2011, 09:05 PM »
I guess this could cover any number of card sets/series through the years (I'm sure there is even something going currently that I'm not aware of), but I guess I'm thinking primarily of the vintage card sets.  Does anyone here have or collect these?  This is one of those items (alongside the actual vintage figure line and the BK glasses) that really bring back that SW nostalgia for me.  I didn't have a ton of them when I was a kid, and most of the ones I did have were ROTJ - but between myself and a friend of mine we had a pretty decent collection.  I did replace and complete my ROTJ (Series 1) set a few years back, and always wanted to eventually get all of the vintage (US) Topps sets.  It was sort of a way to "relive" the movie as a kid, and I always enjoyed them.  Anyways, I've just been starting to look into them again on ebay (and StarWarsCards.net, does anyone else know of another resource?).  I guess, prior to researching them online a bit, that I wasn't even aware that so many sets existed for the three movies.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Star Wars Trading Cards
« Reply #1 on: September 7, 2011, 09:08 PM »
I believe our new guy, Jim Ristway (Jimree) collects some cards...  Some of the locals do in general.

I've never been much of a card guy, but it always seems like something is out in the trading card world for Star Wars.  I thought I just saw clone Wars cards the other day, actually, at 5 Below.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Online P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 7, 2011, 09:50 PM »
I collect these, mostly the vintage now that some of the card sets you can get are $4 for 3 cards.  :-\

That said, I finished my vintage ANH sets this spring when I walked into a comic store and found the 5 I needed!

I do enjoy the Evolutions idea, but I haven't kept up to see what's being offered lately.

Online P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 10:18 PM »
Anyone collecting the Galactic Files?  Looking to finish off some base and insert cards.  Let me know.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 5, 2017, 03:57 PM »
Anybody still in to physical trading cards?

I'm tempted to pick up some of the Rogue One boxes, but can't seem to find a comparison of how a hobby box compares to a retail box.  Is there a fan site that does a good job with Star Wars cards?

Online P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 5, 2017, 05:22 PM »
I've only been picking up base sets for recent releases from a local who buys boxes.  Just too expensive to chase all the inserts anymore.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 5, 2017, 05:35 PM »
Yeah, I gave up on all the chases a long, long time ago.  It seems a box of cards will give you two base sets, one set of the basic chases, and a smattering of the harder to get chases.  That usually satisfies me, but I'm curious if its worth the trouble to get a hobby box or if I should just get a retail box (cheaper).  If the only difference is the higher end chase cards, then I'll just go with the retail boxes.

Online P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 5, 2017, 06:12 PM »
I got tired of all the parallels when I got packs retail.  Same with hobby boxes I suspect.  I don't collect them and the artificial hits are not worth it to me.  If it was an auto then great.  I think people liked the Rogue One hobby set overall with the signers.  Recently with some sets, you wouldn't get a set of base cards in a box.

If you're just looking for base sets maybe see if Matt has extras... not sure how many boxes he gets.

Offline Blue_Harvester

• Jedi Initiate
  • Great Googly-Moogly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 02:49 PM »
I recently got back into physical cards with the ROGUE ONE Series-1 and Series-2 Sets.
But there's no way I could even consider trying to make parallel sets.  Same for all the
inserts.  So I just scaled down to what interests me most, which for these releases are:

ROGUE ONE (Series-1)
  • One complete BASE CARD Set (white)
  • One complete PARALLEL CARD SET (GREEN looks the nicest to me)
  • One complete set of GOOD GUY (portrait) Mains [Jyn/Cassian/Baze/Chirrut/etc] - in White/Black/Green/Blue/+
  • Complete Parallel Subset of X-Wing Uniformed Pilots (BlueLdr/RedLdr/LtZal("I'm in love"))
  • One complete Set of CHARACTER ICON cards  (I like this set best)

ROGUE ONE (Series-2)
  • One complete BASE CARD Set (white)
  • One complete PARALLEL CARD SET (GREEN again)
  • Complete Parallel Subset of X-Wing Uniformed Pilots (BlueLdr/RedLdr/LtZal)
  • (None of the Series-2 inserts thrill me)

-blue
Han shot FIRST. Luke threw TWICE. And it was THX-1138 who wasn't at his post on the big screen back in '77. And I first learned that Vader was Luke's dad in the cinemas at the Tampa Bay Mall in 1980.