Author Topic: NFL 2011-2012  (Read 47636 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: NFL 2011-2012
« Reply #135 on: December 13, 2011, 10:04 PM »
As far as the "employee/employer" analogy, I think that's about as similar as your "Harrison is as dirty as a guy that stomped on another guy's arm after a play is whistled dead" analogy Justin. :)  I just don't find it honest or accurate.  I didn't think he had intent to harm McCoy, but that's my opinion on it.

I'll eat some crow on that and admit that comparison was wrong.  Suh is definitely worse.  He just has complete disrespect for anyone else and wants to shove it to them whenever he gets a chance.  He's the kind of guy that would hit you when your back is turned and I can't see Harrison doing that. 

That said,  I do think Harrison plays dirty.  He won't stomp your head after the play, but he is trying to hurt you as bad as he can with every hit.  Like I said before, there is a big difference between trying to stop someone versus trying to take them out.  There's just no reason to lower your head even if the QB is out of the pocket - he could easily wrap McCoy up and bring him down without head butting him.  There's a history of behavior here that can't be chalked up to coincidence or bad luck, so I'm not willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.  I'm sure some of that probably factored into the punishment as well.

As for the explanation, I stand by the work analogy.  Why should the NFL be any different?  I don't think they owe the public any kind of explanation for what they want to do as far as punishments go.  Interesting to hear how the NHL does things, but I think the message being sent in this case is pretty clear.  If you're a defensive player leading with your helmet, the NFL thinks that's dangerous enough to suspend you, so don't do it.  Message received.  ;)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #136 on: December 13, 2011, 10:57 PM »
That's cool Justin, and while I don't agree with "dirty" for him, I will agree with let's say "ruthless"?  Maybe not respectful of others is the best way to put it...  I reserve "dirty" for the guy who does **** after the whistle.  But I see your point on that too.

To me, "dirty" implies he's TRYING to hurt people, and I don't believe that...  I think he's trying to play hard, and play as he feels he has been taught, and I think it's biting him in the ass because he's having a hard time (or not willing to?  I'm not in his head either way to know I guess) adjusting to the league's rule changes.  People here were trying to argue it's his height or whatnot...  I disagree.  He isn't changing technique and it's killing him financially and now on the field.  Time for him to change, regardless how anyone feels from either side, or he'll be a detriment at this point to whatever team he's on. 

You have to count on a guy, especially at that position, every week.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 14, 2011, 09:51 AM »

To me, "dirty" implies he's TRYING to hurt people, and I don't believe that... 

Jesse with all due respect, if you think Harrison wasn't trying to hurt Colt McCoy on that hit, you need to visit the optometrist.

I think Harrison's changed his game a LOT this year, but I don't think he was intending to hurt McCoy there, and that (should) be taken into consideration. 

Then what is he "intending" to do when he smashes someone in the head as hard as he possibly can, rather than wrap him up?  James Harrison tried to decapitate Colt McCoy and nearly succeeded.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 09:55 AM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 14, 2011, 11:06 AM »
As for the explanation, I stand by the work analogy.  Why should the NFL be any different?  I don't think they owe the public any kind of explanation for what they want to do as far as punishments go.  Interesting to hear how the NHL does things, but I think the message being sent in this case is pretty clear.  If you're a defensive player leading with your helmet, the NFL thinks that's dangerous enough to suspend you, so don't do it.  Message received

I saw one of the talking heads last night talking about what a travesty this was, about how James Harrison's job was to get to the quarterback and to hit the quarterback.

Yeah, it is... but that guy didn't mention that a very clear part of his job description is to hit the quarterback without using his helmet as the tip of the spear.  End of story. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #139 on: December 18, 2011, 05:50 PM »
Wow.  Just...  Wow.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 18, 2011, 06:44 PM »
Wow.  Just...  Wow.

I know. This is bizarro week. The Pack lose, Redskins and Indy win...

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #141 on: December 18, 2011, 07:52 PM »
Can't believe there isn't more talk about the Packers going undefeated this season.  The Giants were the only tough team left on the schedule...should be a cakewalk from here on out.

The Packers are going to lose a game at some point, either in the regular season or the play-offs.

I think they will lose a game too.  Next season.  ;)

I thought their loss would've been in the playoffs.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 19, 2011, 09:35 AM »
Can't believe there isn't more talk about the Packers going undefeated this season.  The Giants were the only tough team left on the schedule...should be a cakewalk from here on out.

The Packers are going to lose a game at some point, either in the regular season or the play-offs.

I think they will lose a game too.  Next season.  ;)

I thought their loss would've been in the playoffs.

Luckily you've only predicted the one loss, so they should be perfect from here on out.   ;)
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 22, 2011, 11:39 AM »
Four more ex NFL players suing the league. The concussions they got while playing in the NFL have left them with lingering medical issues. Gee I wonder why the league wants to limit the way and when and etc. you can hit guys?
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 23, 2011, 01:43 AM »
Goddammit Houston
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 23, 2011, 08:59 AM »
GO RAMS AND COLTS. Let's keep losing Vikes.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 23, 2011, 09:23 AM »
I know. This is bizarro week. Redskins and Indy win...

Ugh, let's be fair, the Skins are nowhere near as bad as Indy, although they do share the same glaring problem - QB play.

If Shanny gets Griffin, Moore, Barclay or Luck in the draft this year - watch out!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 26, 2011, 09:47 AM »
GO RAMS AND COLTS. Let's keep losing Vikes.

Man, even when the Vikes win they really lose.  They win a meaningless game, but lose Peterson and Ponder to injuries, as well as getting knocked out of the Luck sweepstakes.   :-\

Offline Sybeck1

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 29, 2011, 10:00 PM »
I know. This is bizarro week. Redskins and Indy win...

Ugh, let's be fair, the Skins are nowhere near as bad as Indy, although they do share the same glaring problem - QB play.

If Shanny gets Griffin, Moore, Barclay or Luck in the draft this year - watch out!

As a Redskins fan watching the alamo bowl, I would be all for griffin

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 30, 2011, 08:57 AM »
As a Redskins fan watching the alamo bowl, I would be all for griffin

Yeah, that was the one bowl game so far I have really made a point to watch, for that very reason. The game was fabulous but not so much a showcase for RGIII's skill set. But why throw the ball when you have THREE guys run for over 100 yards in the game? That was redonkulous!

No doubt, you can see what Shanny likes in the guy. Decisive, mobile, quick release. I don't know about his footwork or arm strength, but he has at least as much upside as Schaub did before Kyle got ahold of him.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy