Author Topic: NFL 2011-2012  (Read 47649 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: NFL 2011-2012
« Reply #150 on: January 9, 2012, 10:36 AM »
In my FFL league this year, I did not do so hot.  Came in 4th out of 8 teams... but in a pool that I am in, came in first ouf of 30 people - won some decent money, which was great especially to get the money right after Christmas.  Just used it to pay down some bills.

So far I'd be 4-0 in the playoffs if not for what Tebow and the Broncos did yesterday to the Steelers.  I'm assuming that will be considered the "upset" of the playoffs this year, and I think a healtheir Steelers team would have probably come out on top. 

I think New England will be going to the dance this year, but Green Bay/New Orleans... I think that's the flip of a coin.  It's also hard to count out the Giants and San Francisco.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 9, 2012, 12:36 PM »
Congrats Chewie!  I ended up losing in the JD Superbowl (congrats again Rob), but did make it to the big game in 3 more leagues and pulled out wins in two of them.  My winnings will be just a little more than what I need to cover my master case of Kubrick Deluxe S4, so defintiely came at a good time.  ;D

As for the NFL playoffs, I did not see Denver beating Pittsburgh.  Even at the very end I thought the Steelers would find a way to win it.  Surprised to see the awful showing from the Falcons as well.  I don't get why they went for it on 4th down both times - better to get some offesnive points up on the board IMO.  The Saints and Texans were no surprise.  I'm not a big Lions fan, but I wish Calvin Johnson and Matt Stafford had the chance to win a playoff game.  Hard to see a guy who is arguably the best at his position not ever get close to the big dance.  Same goes for Tony Gonzales.

I think the Superbowl will be Green Bay and Baltimore.  The Saints have to go on the road for all their games and should be a little worn out when they reach frosty Lambeau.  I don't think San Fran can muster enough offense to stop them and they're designed to stop the run, not the pass.  I am a little worried about the Giants vs. Packers this week though...New york looks hungry.   If the Pack doesn't get out to an early lead they may be in trouble.  I don't think Denver or Houston will progress, but I do think the Ravens can beat the Pats with Ray Rice in stride and their defense (sorry Nick).  We'll see...
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 9, 2012, 01:45 PM »
I think the Superbowl will be Green Bay and Baltimore.  The Saints have to go on the road for all their games and should be a little worn out when they reach frosty Lambeau. 

Lambeau isn't so frosty this year.  I was up in Door County at New Year's and it was mid 30's.  The weather is starting to get absurd this year... it was 55 here on Friday.  Still 2 weeks to go... but it's insanely warm.
« Last Edit: January 9, 2012, 01:45 PM by Rob »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 9, 2012, 04:26 PM »
True.  I am hoping for colder weather by the time they play.  Hopefully some combination of that, playing on the road, and the Wisconsin crowd can keep them off balance.  The Saints have looked pretty unstoppable the past few weeks and it's not like the Packers are going to suddenly improve their defense.  Best case scenario is the 49ers take care of them. 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #154 on: January 9, 2012, 04:36 PM »
True.  I am hoping for colder weather by the time they play.  Hopefully some combination of that, playing on the road, and the Wisconsin crowd can keep them off balance.  The Saints have looked pretty unstoppable the past few weeks and it's not like the Packers are going to suddenly improve their defense.  Best case scenario is the 49ers take care of them.
I agree with you Justin on the Giants...I'd be a little worried.  I still think the Pack should repeat, no reason to think they won't.  Both the Giants and Saints brought them right to the brink this year...should be fun.

I am totally not sold on teh 49ers...I have only seen them play once (the MNF game against Pitt) so not sure how they really stack up.  I hear they have this stellar D but I think the Pats, Pack and Saints have proven that D no longer matters in this game.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 9, 2012, 04:48 PM »
Schottenheimer is interviewing with the Bucs.  Of all the names mentioned so far (Wade Phillips, Brad Childress, Mike Sherman) he'd be my choice.  The Bucs are so terrible and undisciplined, they need a kick in the ass of epic proportions, and Shotty's the guy who can do that as far as I'm concerned.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #156 on: January 9, 2012, 05:21 PM »
I'd run screaming from those other three guys...yuck

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 9, 2012, 05:54 PM »
Yeah, me too.  Rumor was that Childress was as OC, which I don't think would be terrible, but none of those three inspire me on iota.

That said, when you just fired Raheem Morris after a 4-12 season, just about anyone looks like an upgrade.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #158 on: January 9, 2012, 08:02 PM »
This week is going to be interesting.  I don't think any team can be counted out at this point.  The Broncos can win as long as they don't have a disastrous second quarter like they did the last time against the Pats.  The Packers only beat the Giants by a field goal last time, and not the Giants Defense is healthy and they are clicking.  The Saints look good, but they have a bad habit of not playing all that great on the West coast and outside...bit of a double whammy for them in San Fransisco.

Houston looked really good against the Bengals, I don't know if they can get past the Ravens, but if I were putting money on the game, I'd probably go with Houston and the points if the spread's more than 7 points.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #159 on: January 10, 2012, 11:53 AM »
I'm not a big Packers fan, but what a bummer of a way to kick off the week for the coaching staff.  Hate to see them heading into their first playoff game with something like that hanging over their heads.  :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 10, 2012, 02:08 PM »
I'm not a big Packers fan, but what a bummer of a way to kick off the week for the coaching staff.  Hate to see them heading into their first playoff game with something like that hanging over their heads.  :-\

It kind of puts things like sports in perspective doesn't it?  Pretty terrible news for the OC and his family.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #161 on: January 15, 2012, 08:40 PM »
The Giants just beat out a great Packer team and some of the worst officiating I've seen in an NFL game!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 15, 2012, 08:59 PM »
...and some of the worst officiating I've seen in an NFL game!

My favorite was the 'blow to the head' that never actually happened.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 16, 2012, 05:07 AM »
The Packers were not great, their defense is terrible but their offense is damn good.  The Giants have a great defense and the right kind to take down the Pack. Was not shocked they beat them, they always seem to come up big in games like this.  Beating NE in the SB and now this.  I think they can win it all. 

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 16, 2012, 08:59 AM »
Glad I wasted barely any time watching the games this weekend, every time I was rooting for lost.  >:(

Football in general has just been so unappealing this year. I really think this will be the first year in a decade or so I don't even watch the Super Bowl.

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy