Author Topic: NFL 2011-2012  (Read 47659 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: NFL 2011-2012
« Reply #120 on: December 12, 2011, 04:30 PM »
With that being said in this particular case with the Packers I'd say sit Rodgers the rest of the season including the playoffs so he is rested for next season.

;D  I knew there was one loyal Viking fan still out there.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 12, 2011, 06:39 PM »
I'd say rest them if you don't have the bye... but if you rest them a game or two, and then also have the bye, you'll be letting the rust pile up on your well oiled machine.

I think they need to go for it the rest of the regular season.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 12, 2011, 10:01 PM »
Rodgers is one of those guys like Peyton, whoever is on the field playing WR will become a star with Rodgers throwing him the ball.

I think the Packers will be basically okay without Jennings.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 12, 2011, 11:26 PM »
Worst Monday Night Game Ever.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 13, 2011, 12:01 AM »
Most Monday night games usually suck anyway
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 13, 2011, 09:41 AM »
Most Monday night games usually suck anyway

True that lately.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 13, 2011, 02:31 PM »
With that being said in this particular case with the Packers I'd say sit Rodgers the rest of the season including the playoffs so he is rested for next season.

;D  I knew there was one loyal Viking fan still out there.

Double Whammy for me. I'm a Vikings fan so the Packers doing this sucks. And I'm a Patriots fan so I have to deal with the fact the Packers actually might finish their perfect season off (or some jacka$% might catch the ball with his helmet in the Super Bowl and ruin it for them too) and Rodgers is getting closer to Brady's TD record.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 02:32 PM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 13, 2011, 02:42 PM »
Rodgers is one of those guys like Peyton, whoever is on the field playing WR will become a star with Rodgers throwing him the ball.

I think the Packers will be basically okay without Jennings.

Yup.  Especially since it sounds like they'll have him back for the Playoffs. 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #128 on: December 13, 2011, 02:43 PM »
I know some of you won't agree, but how big of a moronic/dirty player is James Harrison.

your'e right, some of us won't agree.

Looks like Goodell agrees with Nick and not JD's resident Steelers apologist/homer.  :-X
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #129 on: December 13, 2011, 03:24 PM »
I'd not put a lot of stock in anything Goodell does or says though, myself, considering his utter lack of consistancy (and a complete lack of oversight). But I do think some form of punishment was needed (never said no to that).  I think Harrison's changed his game a LOT this year, but I don't think he was intending to hurt McCoy there, and that (should) be taken into consideration.  But the responsibility is on him there, not McCoy at all, I guess, and so you have to adjust or face punishment.

If QB's can leave the pocket though, run, tilt their heads forward while staring at their tackler, and still be considered "vulnerable players", then I guess that's the way it goes.  They need to adjust some rules then on QB's scrambling and getting protection though, outside of the pocket...  That'd be just as nice for the Steelers too since that seems to be one of those things that works for some, and not others.  ;)  Or whatever the whim of the week is with the NFL.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 03:27 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 13, 2011, 03:42 PM »
"We're disappointed for James because we know how hard he's worked to play within the rules," Tomlin said. "We accept the judgment rendered by the league office and we'll move forward."

Why is it that this is such a massive, reoccurring problem for James Harrison, and such a non-issue for almost everyone else?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #131 on: December 13, 2011, 04:03 PM »
I don't really believe in conspiracy theories, so I won't say they're targeting him.  I refuse to believe that, even if Harrison does.  Ryan Clark made a stink about that after the last game with the Ravens, and a fine he received, and I just don't believe that.

A bad call?  A poor judgment of the play?  Not taking into account the game and it's speed?  I believe those are possible.

At the same time, I'd like to see it out of pretty much the exclusive hands of Goodell, and I'd like to see the NFL do public explanations of why things were decided as they were (ala the NHL) and what factors went into the decision (from all aspects).  To me, the NFL's punishment process is a joke.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 13, 2011, 05:54 PM »
At the same time, I'd like to see it out of pretty much the exclusive hands of Goodell, and I'd like to see the NFL do public explanations of why things were decided as they were (ala the NHL) and what factors went into the decision (from all aspects).  To me, the NFL's punishment process is a joke.

What more do you want explained?  He led with his helmet into McCoy and the following week he's suspended for a game.  Seems pretty clear to me.  Besides, I'm trying to think of some other venue, be it sports related or not, where the head of management needs to offer up a lengthy explanation of his considerations and decisions to the public.  I don't follow the NHL, so maybe that's a good example.  Coaches and team owners don't do that though, nor would I expect them too.  If someone at your company did something that got him fired or suspended, would the president or CEO come out with a detailed explanation of all the factors that went into their decision?  Kinda doubt it.  I think as the head guy, Goodell has the right to distribute punishments and fines based on what he sees as misconduct and I seriously doubt that he is doing that independent of anyone else's input.  I really don't don't see any lack of consistency in the punishments either - do you have examples of where others were treated differently?

I get that it's hard to see your favorite team in a bad light, but do you really think him lowering his head into McCoy was an okay move?  You're really playing up Harrison as a victim here.  Yes QBs can leave the pocket, but have you ever seen a QB moving fast enough and hard enough to level a linebacker?  These aren't arbitrary rules - they are meant to try to limit the risk of serious injuries.  This was Harrison's 5th illegal hit on a QB in the last three seasons and he's been fined at least two more times for unnecessary roughness.   And you can bet those weren't the only illegal hits he has made.  When there is a pattern of repetitive behavior that is endangering others, then you've got to do something to send a message that it won't be tolerated.  If anything, I think the suspensions and fines should be even higher than what's being dished out.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #133 on: December 13, 2011, 07:54 PM »
Like I said, Harrison felt he left the pocket, McCoy was running, and is an open man for a tackle...  I feel the penalty should've been a fine and NOT a suspension because I feel McCoy A) put himself into a bad position as a QB, B) was lowering his head when he clearly was watching the hit coming at him, C) threw the ball after he'd tucked it and ran, forcing Harrison to make that split-second decision on the field...  If anything I think Harrison actually was rethinking making the hit because of McCoy (at the last second) going to throw the ball and THAT was the result of the helmet-to-helmet...  That's my take.  Then again I've been reading so much about this that is making both arguments that I see the other side of it too, and Harrison led with his head, which is where I think the fine's justifiable.  He did, but I just wonder if McCoy's decisions didn't contribute to the end result of helmet-to-helmet, and that's my argument that these things aren't even remotely looked into, they're just decided without any explanation.

Now, if complete onus of the situation rests on the shoulders of the hitter and not the ball carrier, then so be it.  But I think you need to then make that more clear and deal with the repurcussions from the defensive players who aren't going to like it that you're further giving room to QB's and Receivers and making those incredibly fast decisions in a game rest solely on the shoulders of the tackler... 

Don't get me wrong though, I completely do not feel Harrison is a victim here...  He's not hurting really, and it's a privilege to play at that level so I feel it's his job to adjust his game with the rules, but this year he largely has too.  It's disappointing to see any progress wiped away now for him in that regard.

As far as the "employee/employer" analogy, I think that's about as similar as your "Harrison is as dirty as a guy that stomped on another guy's arm after a play is whistled dead" analogy Justin. :)  I just don't find it honest or accurate.  I didn't think he had intent to harm McCoy, but that's my opinion on it.

The NHL's system is pretty simple really, and isn't really as much for the player (who knows what is said/shown to them in private to explain why they're being punished) as it is for the public/media. 

A decision is formed on a questionable situation, and a ruling is handed down.  The ruling has a video where Brendan Shanahan (who heads up, but does not solely control the process) explains to the players, fans, and media, how they came to their conclusion, including replay of the footage and all factors they brought into their decision (Intent, the way the rule's written, what the offending player did/didn't do, what the other player did/didn't do, etc., etc.).  It's come about because of criticism of the way punishments were handed down, and consistency with it league-wide.  It's considered a pretty great improvement to that sport.  I think it would be good with football.  It may even help other players too, or guys like Harrison, who either don't get it, or don't care, or whatever.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 07:56 PM by Jesse James »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 13, 2011, 08:13 PM »
Worst Monday Night Game Ever.

That's funny.  The last time I said that was like 5 years ago, it was also the Seahawks.  And the Raiders.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda