Author Topic: Han Solo (Bespin Outfit)  (Read 26601 times)

Offline drumzguy73

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: Han Solo (Bespin Outfit)
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 10:06 PM »
I remember my dog ate my Vintage Bespin Han's right arm. So I had a one-armed Bespin Han for a while until I convinced mom and dad to get me a new one.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 01:27 AM »
The Bespin outfits were always my favorites as a kid too. I didn't have Vintage, but POTF2 growing up. Part of the reason the Bespin Luke/Han figs were my favorites was because I never had "proper" ANH versions of those characters (I had the Han that came with Jabba, which was pale and couldn't hold a blaster, and the Falcon Gunner Luke).

Never owned the POTJ Bespin Han either, since I took a break between TPM and AOTC but it's a fine figure. I wanted to pick one up when they rereleased it into Saga Legends last year but at this point why bother? It wouldn't match the other "ultimate" figures I have on display anyway.

30AC Torture Rack Han is good for display, but he suffers from Hasbro reusing the skinny legs that only match up with the VOTC Han. Like every Han released after 2004, the upper body is way too big, and the legs too skinny. The torture rack was the only reason to get that one.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 02:39 AM »
Even as a kid, I had to have what I thought of as the definitive incarnation of a figure, and to me Bespin Han Solo was the best Han Solo money could buy till Endor Han came out.  I loved my Bespin Han and he played double duty as Cantina Han and others (I hated the original Han, either head size).

So Bespin Han will always have a special place in my collection. 

For modern..  oofah there isn't much to pick from there.

Well, actually, there's a LOT to pick from, but nothing decent.

POTJ Bespin Han's still chilling out up on the Bespin shelf though since he really doesn't have much of a choice.  At the time I liked Bespin Han though, and thought it was a huge upgrade in the action figure world in general.  It had improved and useful articulation, the separate sculpted jacket, the functional holster WITH a great new blaster sculpt...  It was really fantastic.

One of my big gripes on Han figures these days is that Hasbro doesn't have it with the separate and functional thigh-strap for the holster, and so I'm hopeful any future Bespin Han is knocked out of the park in every way, and includes that thigh-strap.  I hate the hovering ones of the Endor and ANH Han's out there right now.  It's a big reason I'd gladly rebuy Endor and ANH Han if they were to at least slightly retool it so the strap is actually part of the holster.  I actually even prefer the Commtech Han's holster, to the VOTC Han's.

This is such an odd figure to have yet to get a truly definitive update.  Can't wait to see what Hasbro puts out.  I just hope the Ford likeness is really good too, otherwise there will be much anger I fear.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 02:42 AM »
I had this version of Han as my only Han back in my childhood toy playing days and I liked him a lot.

I do have the modern version as per the photos and it's an "ok" = sub-par figure for Bespin Han and could do with a re-do for certain.

A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010, 12:02 PM »
Both Hans are cool, what would happen if Hasbro Kenner has painted vintage bespin han boots? , they tried to improve the toy in the carbon freeze Han, but omitted to paint the yellow strips on his pants.

The likeness of potj Bespin Han is very accurate, but fans want to see another version. I think this one on the tvc would balance sculpt and articulation, and avoid very thin legs since the votc Han.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 03:36 PM by EpicGon »

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 1, 2010, 01:05 PM »
Once the vintage version came out, I completely abandoned my small head ANH Han Solo.  Bespin Han is one my favorite Hero Variations and I, like most of us, was thrilled that the POTJ one had decent shoulder articulation.

I just hope that the new one meets my expectations by about 80%.  If it does that will be better than what we have.

And I agree about VOTC Han's legs.  They need to be retired.  They are real good on the ANH version but come up short on each subsequent version.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 10:38 PM »
Source Images:

Data

Vintage

Modern

Offline DarthBinge

• Youngling
  • I am Sith.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2011, 10:57 PM »
I loved the Bespin outfits as a kid too! Was it with them?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2011, 11:50 PM »
Definitely a better modern figure.  Thanks again for hooking me up with one Paul!
This is the way.

I have spoken.