Author Topic: Klaatu  (Read 13481 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Klaatu
« on: September 20, 2011, 10:22 PM »
Source Images:

Data

Vintage

Modern

« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 10:22 PM by Scott »

Offline DarthBinge

• Youngling
  • I am Sith.
    • View Profile
Re: Klaatu
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 10:53 PM »
This a great figure new and old! I remember the soft cloth on the original ones, like the original Emperor Royal guards.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 10:54 PM »
Even though Wooof is a huge pegwarmer, he is an awesome figure.  The softgoods are really well done and love the removable cap.

The vintage figure is also well done and has some of the first intergrated soft goods, no?

Offline DarthBinge

• Youngling
  • I am Sith.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 10:55 PM »
Agreed!

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 12:46 AM »
I really love both figures.  I could never really understand the pegwarming.  I guess because he is just a background character.  Oh well. 

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 10:06 AM »
Nice evolution from Klaatu to Woof

The first Klaatu rocked in the eighties, coz he came with the soft goods and represented an all new species

Even now there is  some confussion between niktos and klaatu, I prefer consider Woof a klatooinian

Want to buy the tvc version.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 10:38 PM »
Vintage Klaatu was one of the original figures I picked up from ROTJ, mostly for the funky goat leggings.  He's part of P.A.G.A.N.

Loved that for some reason, as a kid, and just had to have him with my allowance money...  Still have the skirt bit, and put it on a random modern figure now I think.  His sculpt was pretty sharp and detailed for the day then too, which is always nice to see.

The modern figure, I love it...  The articulation is outstanding, and his "worm" looking pants are great as well.  The softgoods are unique in that they're sort of fixed to the figure...  There have been capes like that too Scott, but nothing so "seamlessly" integrated as that.  It looks really sharp.  Maybe some of the finest softgoods the line has seen really.

The fact he's pegwarming is funny considering how little of his wave showed up.  He's actually NOT one here Scott, but just simply because we probably saw less of the wave.  He was the straggler of the wave for sure though.  He and Bar2 sold last.  The only ROTJ figure we see now are Endor Rebels and they're from the repacking, and still only sporadically here and there.

There is one Woof, or there was anyway, hanging around a local K-Mart...  I haven't been there in a bit.

The one gripe on Woof I have is his helmet comes off if you look at it funny, but they did mold it to the head sort of, and it works well enough.  As a toy, not so great, but as a hyper detailed figure for an adult, it works sufficient.  It does come off easily.

Great stuff...  Love the Collect All 92 series.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 10:57 PM »
My local Target has had 9 Wooofs and 9 Endor Troops for 3 months now

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 11:13 PM »
Seriously nothing like that here, at all, anywhere...  I see one Endor Rebel now and again, but it's inevitably a repack from probably Wave 6 or something.  I've not seen a Woof outside of that lone KM'er hanging around since really the ROTJ wave was shipping back around maybe January?  That one at KM showed up during the resurgence of ROTJ when the Wedge case first showed up too, but I'm pretty sure it was an original ROTJ case and not the revision since I think I came in when it was opened fresh and got the Gammie.

I'm not sure if he's still there...  I should check it out sometime and snap a pic.  I bet he is chilling still.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 12:07 AM »
Klaatu was one of my favorite alien figures when I was a kid.  There was a ton of detail on this figure, plus the cool fur skirt and kickin vibro-blade.  I think the only other alien figure I liked better was Bossk....just because he was a cool mail-away and a bounty hunter.

Love the modern update....kind of a shame Woof is a peg warmer.  I put the quality of this figure up with the Gammorean Guards, but since people really only need one Woof and multiple Gammoreans, you see more of them around.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Sybeck1

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 09:49 AM »
He's not pegwarming in the Memphis TN area, I saw a couple right before Christmas, Believing he would pegwarm as I had reading I passed and focused on other in the budget then. Then he was gone, so I got mine off amazon. Great fig though,

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 05:05 PM »
I want that Wooof figure. Now.  ;D

Loved the vintage Klaatu. Heck, I love all of Jabba's vintage goons, although Klaatu in his puffy jogging suit was my least favourite. The head sculpts of Klaatu, Weequay, Nikto and Barada were impressive, still are.

The skirt of Klaatu is indeed a very fine achievement by Kenner. But truth be told, Kenner knew how to make those work.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 03:16 PM »
It is odd there are so many Wooofs here...we did get the ROTJ quite a bit, there have been 9 of them on the pegs here for 3 good months (along with 9 Endor Troopers)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 05:16 PM »
We didn't get as many Wave 3 is probably all it was.  I only saw it a handful of times leading into Christmas that year.  It was pretty lean here over the holidays.