Author Topic: The Avengers: The Toys  (Read 108309 times)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Re: The Avengers: The Toys
« Reply #240 on: August 28, 2012, 03:22 PM »
Wow - that sucks - I guess I'm "done" with Avengers - unless I see a Nick Fury on the pegs... (which I doubt)

Gonna return that second Dlx Chitauri too - have no desire to open/keep him....
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 2, 2012, 02:54 AM »
Saw a lone single carded Chikari the other day which means I missed out on Nick Fury. Ugh!
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 7, 2012, 12:16 AM »
Out of nowhere, my WM put 1 lone deluxe Chitauri figure in their new clearance section at the front of the store.  Far as I know, they never had any of the deluxe figures before now so I have no idea where that came from.  It was very odd.

Saw some more Skrull figures and a couple Hawkeye figs, no Black Widow to be seen anywhere, however. 

I'm also starting to see the Helicarrier around and one WM I was in had the Quinjet on sale for $21.  Not a lot of basic figures around anywhere, though.  Other than the Skrull and Hawk fgs, at TRU, the other stores I was in had a couple Cap, IM or Thor figs and the rest of the pegs were filled in with those Flip & Attack figures.

Did see some Thor and Cap line releases on clearance at TJ Maxx and a ****-ton of IM2 figures for $3 - $5 at, well, pretty much every store I was in.  God that movie release was a huge cluster ****.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 7, 2012, 06:28 AM »
The Avengers line has certainly been released with a degree of hesitancy by Hasbro.  The spacing of the waves with Black Widow and Hawkeye, and now Nick Fury and the Chitauri ahas been a little frustrating.

Hasbro seems to have learned some lessons from the Iron Man 2 line.  That seems to have carried forward into how they released both the Thor and Captain America movie lines.  Iron Man 2's toy line was a big release and it dominated toy shelves for a while.  A lot of that stock sold through, but it took a while.  And then the transition over to the follow-on line that's now in clearance outlets was an over stretch.  It seems reasonable that Hasbro would adjust on the Thor and Captain American lines and dial down the quantity of products.

Hasbro did go bigger with Avengers than either the Cap or Thor lines, but they still seem to be stuck in the same rut:  releasing too many versions of the main characters and almost no villains until much later in the line's run.  I understand the potential for spoilers from some figures, and a movie studio's hesitance to reveal characters.  But this does seem to be holding the line back a bit.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #244 on: September 7, 2012, 09:30 AM »
They have always been able to do that with the SW lines but don't seem to like to do that with the other movie lines for some reason.

The only exception to that was Dooku in EpII but IIRC he was only 1-2 weeks late

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 7, 2012, 04:44 PM »
I understand the potential for spoilers from some figures, and a movie studio's hesitance to reveal characters.  But this does seem to be holding the line back a bit.

The movie studios need to realize we live in the future, where the Internet knows all and not much is secret before the actual film release.  Let's face it, the fan boys that want to know, know, and it won't ruin the line.  The kids that don't know, probably won't care until after they see the film anyway.  Either way, I don't see how it hurts the studio but it could help them and the toy manufacturer who can release a more viable line of toys.

I think the last time I had something really spoiled for me ahead of the film was in 1999 when the track "Qui-Gon's Noble End" showed up on the early release of the soundtrack.  Releasing Chitauri figs in wave 1 of the Avengers line, for example, wouldn't have been an issue.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 12, 2012, 12:52 PM »
Here's a general question for those collecting the 3.75" scale Marvel movie lines:  are you into having three seperate collections?

Iron Man 2 did this with a Movie Line, a Comic Line, and a Concept Line.

The Avengers line has done this, too.  And seeing all of those stupid Reactron Armor Iron Man Concept figures warming the pegs has gotten to be ridiculous.

The Thor line seems to have done away with the comic line, but still clung to the concept / alternate hero look figures.

And the Captain America line still had three distinct classes of offerings.

I for one have stuck almost exclusively with movie figures from all of these lines.  There have been some select figures from the concept and comic series lines that I've picked up, but those are minimal at best.  Has anyone else been doing the same?

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 12, 2012, 02:07 PM »
FINALLY saw the Deluxe set with Chitauri and Cosmic Chariot today at Target over lunch. Kind of underwhelming after all the anticipation.

Is there any kind of non-helmeted version coming out?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 12, 2012, 02:58 PM »
Here's a general question for those collecting the 3.75" scale Marvel movie lines:  are you into having three seperate collections?

Iron Man 2 did this with a Movie Line, a Comic Line, and a Concept Line.

The Avengers line has done this, too.  And seeing all of those stupid Reactron Armor Iron Man Concept figures warming the pegs has gotten to be ridiculous.

The Thor line seems to have done away with the comic line, but still clung to the concept / alternate hero look figures.

And the Captain America line still had three distinct classes of offerings.

I for one have stuck almost exclusively with movie figures from all of these lines.  There have been some select figures from the concept and comic series lines that I've picked up, but those are minimal at best.  Has anyone else been doing the same?

I don't collect a lot of any of these lines and find that all the different versions only confuse me when I'm looking for a specific figure.  On the Avengers line, for example, I wanted a movie CA but after loooking at all the versions of him out, I never did buy one because I never found a version that I liked that said it was from the movie line. 

The only time I ever specifically went looking for a figure that wasn't from the film was on the IM2 line when I was looking for both the comic and movie versions of War Machine. 

Personally, I think they should just do a movie line and forget about the comic/concept crap.  Seriously, if I can't figure it out, will kids who just want the characters they saw on screen figure it out?  I could see Hasbro coming back for the DVD release, Christmas and early into next year with a wave of Avengers figures based on comic/concept outfits but they should have led the summer and movie release with only movie figures.

E...

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #249 on: September 13, 2012, 02:26 AM »
Picked up Nick Fury today at Walmart, they had a big end cap like display with a bunch of figures.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 13, 2012, 03:30 PM »
I got a Nick Fury from a fellow collector today.

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 14, 2012, 10:24 AM »
Saw the last sign of the Nick Fury wave at a TRU store.  That being yet ANOTHER Iron Man.  I could deal with that if perhaps it was a removable helmet version.  Or perhaps if it was the armor that Tony could remotely summon as he was thrown from the Stark tower.  But this just wasn't that interesting.

In contrast, I think Hasbro SHOULD have done another Captain America in the modern uniform.  Notably, one without the helmet.  That would work for both the Helicarrier battle as well as the fighting sequences around Grand Central Station.  And as things stand at retail, I barely EVER see that modern uniform Captain America.

Feedback

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 19, 2012, 01:02 PM »
So it turns out that there's a Costco exclusive version of the Quinjet.  And it includes "Stealth" repaints of both Captain America and Iron Man.

Feedback

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 19, 2012, 01:39 PM »
I keep seeing more Hawkeyes on pegs lately which is a good thing I guess. Pegs are still either completely empty or have a few Thors and Iron Men lingering.

I keep thinking about how Hasbro really screwed the pooch with this line off the bat, as they do with most lines by screwing up the case ratios. They should have done something like this:

Wave 1 (Case of 12):
- Iron Man x2
- Thor x2
- Captain America x2
- Hulk x2
- Hawkeye x2
- Loki x2

Wave 2 (Case of 12):
- Black Widow x2
- Nick Fury x2
- Chitauri x2
- Skrull x2
- Wacky Gimmick Iron Man x2
- Wacky Gimmick Thor x2

This way you get all of the "Main" Avengers and the main villain all in Wave 1 and in equal amounts. Wave 2 has the rest of the heroes and the army builders and the gimmick heroes that every toy company just loves to make. Follow that up with another wave of comic based heroes/villains or the lame concept figures, but ship those much much later so everyone can get the "regular" movie figures of the characters over the summer.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #254 on: September 19, 2012, 01:55 PM »
I finally picked up Black Widow and the improved articulation "Shatterblaster" Iron Man today. I also saw a Nick Fury but luck would have it as it was missing the Nick Fury figure (f'ing thieves) at my local Walmart.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird