Author Topic: Chief Chirpa  (Read 12680 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Chief Chirpa
« on: November 20, 2011, 11:03 PM »
Source Images:

Data

Vintage

Modern

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Chief Chirpa
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 11:32 PM »
It was funny, since there were only two Ewok figures released in 1983, even though he was the chief, they used Chirpas on the Ewok Village box as generic litter bearers for C-3PO's throne and in the elevator. Can't think of any other time a character was used like that on vintage package photos.

He was an okay toy. But the first two Ewoks released had a bone staff and a shaman staff, not exactly something you'd take on the Empire with.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 11:51 PM »
It's funny how much the new version is smaller than the vintage original.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 12:18 AM »
Agree and some ewoks on Endor, were taller than jawas, specially in the scene when they saw C 3po for the first time and captured Han Luke, Chewie and R2 D2.

Seems this tsc is the definitive version, unless a sculptor want to make Chirpa with ball jointing knees and articulated ankles (like tvc Wicket)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 07:28 PM »
Loved Chirpa as a kid...  He and Wicket were just all kinds of fun to someone my age who loved Ewoks that much.  Still have my Chirpa hanging aruond here somewhere, incomplete now. 

The great thing about the Vintage Ewoks is they actually fit in with the new ones to a degree too...  Nice filler, though at this stage Hasbro's made a lot of Ewok army builders too, at this point really.  If nothing else, lots of fodder.

The weapons of the vinty's were nice too... crisp detailed sculpts, nice hoods that were easy to remove if not a little bland in color.

The modern Ewoks are awesome though...  diminutive, and the size perfect for a Stormtrooper to be posed chucking one across the room like he's dwarf tossing at a frat party.  Or to have a few swarming a trooper and dragging him down for a fuzzball forearm beatdown.

Chirpa was kind of the onset of the diminutive Ewok style in terms of scale, right?  Tons of detail on the headdress, and nice paint aps to highlight the sculpt.  That's back when Hasbro did stuff like that routinely of course. :P  The bonehead staff features the same nice sculpting and paint aps... 

To me though, the greatest update, other than the scale maybe, is the knife.  I loved that!  Tiny accessory in a functioning sheath?  That's pretty great.

Besides maybe a hyper articulated update, which I completely do not expect to ever happen, he's pretty great.  The only real thing I'd like for him is a throne to chill on, actually.  He suffices to me...  He's not as articulated as other fuzzballs, but he's good, and I'd prefer the warriors were the ones articulated better anyway and I'm ok with Chirpa now and not really caring if he's ever redone...  though I'm not hyper particular on each Ewok's scale being done exactly right.  To me, I like them just being done smaller than they used to be. 

It's sort of like astromechs.  I was happy with the old BAD-ish scaled ones, but Hasbro saw a need to make R2 shorter and I'm not into that terribly I guess.  Ewoks, I'm happy where they're at now, even if they're a hair off now and then.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 12:13 AM »
My Chief Chirpa is still in pretty good shape.  By that age, I was very careful with my toys...and I was also starting to notice girls.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 01:22 AM »
It really is remarkable to see the differences between the modern and vintage versions of Chief Chirpa.  The attention to scale alone is astounding.

And the TSC version of Chief Chirpa was a significant transitional point for how Hasbro would approach Ewoks in the future.  It marked the beginning of scaled down Ewok figures that featured significant ammounts of articulation and some pretty cool accessories.  I've been pleasantly surprised to see just how far Hasbro has taken this new Ewok concept since then, along with revisiting some of the Ewoks that had been made in the modern era like Wicket and Logray.  Personally, I like setting up the TSC Chief Chirpa in the Ewok throne that came with the TSC C-3PO.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 01:27 PM »
Cool idea,Nick.  Now I will have to track down a TSC Chirpa!
This is the way.

I have spoken.