Author Topic: The Hobbit - Toy Line  (Read 140393 times)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: The Hobbit - Toy Line
« Reply #300 on: October 18, 2013, 07:32 AM »
Did anybody else see the Bridge Direct Facebook page?   I wonder if they calculated the nerd-rage from the fan boys when they got into the Action Figure business. 

I don't know how to link it, but needles to say when they announced new product they got a lot of arm chair business experts telling the, to give up the license and that Lego is better....

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 18, 2013, 08:32 AM »
Did anybody else see the Bridge Direct Facebook page?   I wonder if they calculated the nerd-rage from the fan boys when they got into the Action Figure business. 

I don't know how to link it, but needles to say when they announced new product they got a lot of arm chair business experts telling the, to give up the license and that Lego is better....

Heh, every line has the arm-chair business nerds calling shots for the companies. Some posters on the Facebook page sure did go overboard. Honestly the fans shouldn't be surprised that only four new items are being released considering how much of series one is still sitting or went on clearance. However, I think the complaints about the company's poor communication and the exact products being released are justified. Obviously things shown at Toy Fair are subject to change depending on what retailers choose to purchase, but showing off items (4-inch Dwarves, Radagast, 6-inch Orcs) at Comic-Con with no plans to release seems like teasing in retrospect. There were also a couple of different press releases between Toy Fair and now featuring different products that weren't clarified until just a couple of days ago.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 18, 2013, 10:12 AM »
I agree all lines have it, I just guess I got numb to it with Star Wars and Joe (and Joe is notorious for showing awesome stuff and it never hitting the shelves).

I just need them to release the rest of the Dwarves before they fold up the tent or burn the bridge as it were.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 18, 2013, 10:29 AM »
If the rumors are true and all we're seeing is a few 6" figures and the Elf pack, that is really disappointing.  I mean, I can understand that it wasn't exactly a "hot" line, and maybe sales weren't great, but I've picked up pretty much everything from the first round (I think I'm just missing the one Orc/Warg deluxe pack), and thought the figures were pretty nice.  I was at least hoping to be able to finish off the dwarves.  You would think they could at least offer those as online exclusives at Amazon, BBTS, or wherever.  I hope they still see the light of day somewhere, I'd really like to finish those off.

On a side note, I'm sure this all but kills any possibility, but I was really hoping we'd eventually see a 3 3/4" LOTR line done in this style.  I love the Toy Biz stuff, and have a dozen or so of those, but I'd probably dive all in on a 3 3/4" scaled line if Bridge Direct (or someone else) was able to do it.  I thought the sculpts/articulation/deco on The Bridge Direct stuff was pretty good though, and was hoping we'd see more of it.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 18, 2013, 11:34 AM »
So the one 3 3/4" item they release is one that forces you to buy 4 figures you already have to one new figure?

I THINK THAT SAYS SOMETHING ABOUT THEIR FLAWED BUSINESS MODEL.

Really, they should've had one scale. Even if that scale had been 6" and I'd never bought a damned thing, then at least the 6" fans might have gotten closer to getting all the characters they wanted.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 18, 2013, 09:17 PM »
So the one 3 3/4" item they release is one that forces you to buy 4 figures you already have to one new figure?

I THINK THAT SAYS SOMETHING ABOUT THEIR FLAWED BUSINESS MODEL.

Really, they should've had one scale. Even if that scale had been 6" and I'd never bought a damned thing, then at least the 6" fans might have gotten closer to getting all the characters they wanted.

100% agree. Better not jump into a line at all than dip your toes in and back out after one freaking wave. The second movie isn't even out yet! You can't hinge your commitment to a line on just one  wave. Maybe they should call the peeps over at super 7 and get some tips on how to run this thing with an alternative business model. I have to believe the interest is out there, you just have to be creative about engaging the consumer.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 19, 2013, 01:06 PM »
My name is Justin Aquila, I was one of the people ranting on their facebook page for this poor showing  :)

I am honestly starting to believe that best case scenario for fans to get the remaining figures they want might be (depending on if the tooling exists) China-bay - similar to what happened to the Indiana Jones Temple of Doom wave.

I hope the Chinese bootleggers profit from this if The Bridge Direct cannot do it themselves.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #307 on: October 26, 2013, 12:19 AM »
My TRU had the six inch azog,radagast and legolas today. Also the five pack with thanduril.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 26, 2013, 01:54 PM »
Yeah I saw them too.  I thought the 6" looks great but I only collect 3 3/4 in this line.  I am not buying the 5 pack for Thranduil.  Worst case scenario I will get him from China-bay

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 1, 2013, 08:49 PM »
Saw the new stuff at our TRU today as well.  Man, I really wish we were getting the rest of the dwarves in 3 3/4" scale.  I was pretty much complete in that scale with this line, but I just can't bring myself to buy that entire pack just to get Thandruil.  I saw one each of the 6" figures, and ended up grabbing Radagast the Brown.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 1, 2013, 09:29 PM »
So how much is the 5 pack at TRU and who else comes with it besides Thranduil?

Our local store got a truck today and I was contemplating using that 20% off coupon to take the edge off buying this, but alas they had nothing new in stock.

Just as well probably, I've been able to get all the figures so far without doubling up at all yet, less hassle in the long run trying to dump the extras.

China-bay indeed.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 1, 2013, 09:56 PM »
Legolas, Tauriel, Kili, and Fili

Legolas was easily available in two sets. But at least there's no Thorin.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 2, 2013, 09:21 PM »
Thanks, a buddy of mine tipped me off that this set showed up at the TRU across town, so I made the long drive tonight and went ahead and picked it up. Today was the last day I could use that 20% off coupon, plus it is my birthday, so I figured what the hell. I can sell off the extras hopefully to defray the cost. Thranduil is a sweet figure no doubt. Hope it is not the last new one we get.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 5, 2013, 10:56 AM »
I gave my entire collection to my son.  He's got all the 3.75" figures from the first wave, adn 5- 6 each of the warg beast and goblin guy.  He keeps asking about the pale orc.  Sucks he's probably not going to be released.

As for the new TRU 5-pk, I can't believe they didn't release that with 5 new figures.  As it stands, I can't justify $30 for one new figure and the rest repacks.  Geeze.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 5, 2013, 01:51 PM »
At some point, I figure BD will have to come clean and issue an official statement about this whole debacle. I guess we can only hope the next two movies are runaway hits and generate some interest in the toys. They just have to make the stuff they've shown available somehow, whether it be through subscription service, kickstarter, whatever.