Author Topic: The Hobbit - Toy Line  (Read 140428 times)

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: The Hobbit - Toy Line
« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2012, 02:15 PM »
and he has balls for his chin...

Anway, TRU.com is offering 20% off of your total order plus free shipping if you buy $150 worth of toys now through 10/9/12.  If TRU.com had everything posted on their site that is supposed to be coming out when the line drops I would probably take them up on this offer along with a couple of other things to hit the $150 mark.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2012, 09:32 AM »
Yesterday I ordered from TRU.com the following along with other stuff from other lines and spent enough $$$ to get 20% off my entire order:

Thorin/Goblin King
Gandalf/Bolg
Fimbul/Worg
Legolas/Tauriel

so the the toys actually seen and confirmed as coming, the only other things I will need to pick up then are:
Kili/Fili
Bilbo/Golum
Dwalin/Balin
Grinnah

and then for the record, other than that there is still the possibility of the Rumored Goblin playset and the Stone Troll/Nori pack I noted on the previous page.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 09:34 AM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 1, 2012, 09:18 AM »
well, I guess today is launch day!  check out the awesome pics that TRU has updated heir site with for this line.  The figures look awesome imo

http://www.toysrus.com/search/index.jsp?sr=1&f=Taxonomy%2FTRUS%2F2254197&kw=the+hobbit&origkw=the+hobbit&kwCatId=&view=all

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 1, 2012, 10:00 AM »
And ... order placed.  Dammit.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 1, 2012, 10:56 AM »
I ended up ordering some as well....so weak.  Although, the 6" stuff was pretty much gone already when I went over there.  I noticed that Amazon seems to be sold through as well.  Are these only coming to retail via TRU?  I haven't heard anything about other retailers.  Looks like it could make a pretty nice line overall with the larger "deluxe" type figures, two packs, etc.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 1, 2012, 11:35 AM »
long story made short, I called TRU.com and got them to give me a code for a discount for the last 3 two packs I needed.  I just explained how some for the stuff was instock yesterday and were eligible for the discount and these items weren't.  It took a long time to get the code and the lady I was talking to sounded like the cleaning lady on Family Guy, but hey I got the code.

The code ended up being for $10 off - so slightly more than 20% off the $45 worth of merchandise I purchased today.  Also these 3 items were eligible for Shoprunner and I have that (got for 1 year free trial about a year ago and they just extended my "trial" through the holiday season!).

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 2, 2012, 04:15 PM »
I thought goblins were smaller than Orcs.

Why are the dwarf/hobbit two packs cheaper than the Gandalf/Bolg one? HEIGHT DISCRIMINATION!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #97 on: October 2, 2012, 07:06 PM »
This seems to be a debate coming up elsewhere too...  I too thought all Goblins were basically smaller Orcs and even less fond of daylight.  But I also don't recall them specifically detailing Goblin heights in the books either.

Orcs/Goblins/etc. all seem to have a lot of cultural diversity...  I suppose there's a chance some Goblins aren't small.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jimree

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 3, 2012, 12:04 AM »
I picked up the 3.75 in Gandalf figure. Also got the Grinnah the Goblin figure too. Got them at TRU, they only had the single pack figs. No 2 packs or any 6 inch.
Also had Bilbo, Thorin and Legolas. Passed on all those because I want the 2 packs.

9.99 is alot, but these are some solid figures. Very happy with them.

Jim
Member of PA Star Wars Collecting Society
Twitter - @Jawa_Jim
Instagram - Jawa_Jim

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 3, 2012, 12:09 PM »
look at Freddy Krue....  errr I mean Yazneg!

I wonder if he will be in some sort of two pack?  maybe with Ginnah since so far Grinnah is the only figure not in a two pack...?   hmmmmmm   still looks awesome....

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 3, 2012, 01:42 PM »
Spotted these at a TRU near work today. AWESOME. All ball joints, except for the ankles, which are unarticulated. Great looking sculpts. It took a lot for me to pass on these and I'm not even a huge LOTR fan! Seriously considering buying some of these once they hit Target and WM, if only to support the company because these blow everything Mattel has made this year out of the water, and almost all of Hasbro's stuff too.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #101 on: October 3, 2012, 02:39 PM »
Something Hasbro's bitched about is deco costs, and man, these all are REALLY good looking in that department, not to mention articulated.  Ankle joints are the one joint I feel is disposable anyway so I think that's alright (as long as the foot is sculpted flat, not bent at the ankles or anything). 

That deco is pretty ornate when you look at it closely though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 3, 2012, 03:07 PM »
Something Hasbro's bitched about is deco costs, and man, these all are REALLY good looking in that department, not to mention articulated.  Ankle joints are the one joint I feel is disposable anyway so I think that's alright (as long as the foot is sculpted flat, not bent at the ankles or anything). 

That deco is pretty ornate when you look at it closely though.

Completely agree, and also we should mention all the unique tooling involved - which is something else Hasbro always ties into the overall cost of SW figures being high.  I am not saying these figures are cheap, but when you buy them via the two packs they are - and that is not including sales that are bound to happen!

I got all of this line except for Grinnah at 20% off or more.  I think the 3 two packs arriving at my doorstep today ended up being like $11.50 each or something because of the discount.  NICE! 

I seriously hope this line gives Hasbro some sort of dose of competition and forces Hasbro's hand to stop with all the corners they are cutting (most noticeably in the CW line).

Anyway.................   So excited to be getting all of these at my house tonight and tomorrow!

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 3, 2012, 04:42 PM »
Ok, they are here and I love them!  I seriously think anyone that collects action figures should buy into this line!  I took some quick pics so hopefully you can see all the details these figures. have.  I took a picture of Gollum's crotch to show that all figures have that swivel/ball joint or whatever you call it articulation; however, some figures, like Kili and Balin have their clothes in the way so you cannot utilize the articulation at the hips unless you do some cutting modifications.  I may do the mod for Kili because he has the overcoat to hide the cut, but I don't think I will for Balin because it would ruin his look imo (I took a side pic of him so you see what I mean.

link to my quick album - http://imageshack.us/g/1/9792822/

I put the MU figure in there because he was nearby so I used him to show scale
« Last Edit: October 3, 2012, 05:43 PM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #104 on: October 3, 2012, 07:51 PM »
Yeah these are REALLY nice...  Like, nice to the point that if there wasn't SW I'd be considering going all in on these, and praying for a LOTR line as well...  Actually if the latter happens it'll be hard for me NOT to buy into these.  :-\  LOTR is the only movie franchise besides SW that has me hooked in completely.