Author Topic: The Hobbit - Toy Line  (Read 140375 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: The Hobbit - Toy Line
« Reply #135 on: October 22, 2012, 11:17 AM »
I know most here are more interested in the 3 3/4" stuff (which I love too), but I did open up a couple of the 6" figures (Gandalf and Bilbo), and have to say that they are pretty nicely done.  They seem to fit in pretty well with the earlier Toy Biz stuff from LOTR, and look like larger (and more detailed) versions of the 3 3/4" figures.  Pretty nice.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 22, 2012, 02:55 PM »
So, I emailed The Bridge Direct and asked them a question about whether or not there will be more than one wave of product for this movie.  They responded to my question, but they tacked this on to the end of it:

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and contains confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, re-transmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.   If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

Am I supposed to taker this as a generic warning, or that I should not publicly post their response?  I am figuring just the generic business footer warning.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #137 on: October 22, 2012, 07:30 PM »
Are you honestly worried they'll ask you not to post?  :)  You can always whisper in my ear.  I won't tell.  ;D
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 22, 2012, 09:00 PM »
well, basically it is going to be a very long wait until we see another wave summer

see what I did there?   ;)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 23, 2012, 01:32 AM »
I saw some more of the line at TRU tonight.  And perhaps my initial sighting of the basic carded Bilbo was an anomoly, or I saw a bad batch of figures.  Because the individually carded Bilbo figures from the 3.75" scale line looked much better, and far less glossy than what I had previously seen.

I also saw a 5 pack that features Bilbo, Thorin, Kili, Fili & Dwalin.  That looked okay.  I also saw the deluxe Warg & Orc, as well as some 2-packs.  But I have to say, I'm a little surprised that there are a couple of different price points for the 2-packs.  Prices for 2-packs with Biblo and Gollum were less expensive than the set that features Gandalf and the albino Orc.  It comes across a little odd.  Why not find a middle ground in terms of the price point, and just offer a single line of figure 2-packs?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 23, 2012, 12:32 PM »
see what I did there?   ;)

Gah!  That's one hell of a wait!   :-\

Offline warinthefloor

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 24, 2012, 10:54 AM »
Anyone else Army Built Grinnah the Goblin into a squad or army of goblins?

Looks liek you can get a lil variety going with those straps he has thrown over his shoulder

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 24, 2012, 11:46 AM »
That is a heck of a wait.  I'm still interested to see how this line does.  With the LOTR figures (at least initially) it seemed like that line was doing pretty well, hitting with both kids and collectors at the time.  It just seems like a little bit more of a different landscape than even 10 years ago or so, as far as toy buying goes.  I really like the line, and if it is that big of a gap until the next new stuff shows up, I guess I'm relatively caught up on things.  I still need to pick up the larger "deluxe" 2 packs, and I think that's it.  A shame we won't be able to get all of the dwarves for a bit though.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 24, 2012, 01:32 PM »
They must be planning a multipack down the line that's going to feature Bilbo, Gandalf and all of the dwarves.  But I think that Bridge Direct wants to get several other individual figures and multipacks out there before they make that particular offering.

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 24, 2012, 02:09 PM »
Yeah, I could see something like that too.  I guess I'm a little surprised there is that much of a break between waves, but it is almost like the vintage days of Star Wars as far as release numbers.  10-20 figures a year, not too bad to keep up with.  The only thing is, I don't recall from the book that there are many "costume" changes for the main characters...so maybe that is why we aren't seeing all of them at once, and then just have the same figures re-released for each of the next two films.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 24, 2012, 04:19 PM »
I can't think that smaller, measured releases would be a bad thing for this movie.  We've all seen what can happen when you go overboard on releases, not have the toy line take off and the whole thing collapses.  The last 4 or 5 years has had a huge string of toy lines follow that model.  If BD can keep interest, sell through well and then wait until things heat up for the next movie, they could potentially get a 4 year run out of their line of toys.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 24, 2012, 08:27 PM »
Makes sense efranks.

But maybe (hopefully) the person responding to my email is wrong?  BBTS also had these up on their site when they put everything up super early and was forced to take them down:

3.75” Goblin King Playset ($44.99)  - unles this is just the Goblin King set and the price was lowered
and according to a list he saw on toyark:
Beast Pack Series 1: Stone Troll and Nori - and this makes perfect sense to come out for the first movie - heck they should do three of these types of packs!

But also going off of what Nicklab said earlier, it is pretty odd that they have so many different price points throughout this line - one would think we would see some sort of assortment to them at some point...

here is their email address if anyone else wants to shoot them an email and see if they can get any responses:  contact@thebridgedirect.com

My question was general - I figured it would be a good starting to point.  It was full of me a$$ kissing and just asking when we might see more product beyond the first initial wave of everything out now.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 08:34 PM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 24, 2012, 08:54 PM »
The shelf placement alone seems to be marginal at the stores where I saw them.  Not a whole lot of shelf space to begin with.  Perhaps 2 feet, tops, and it's mid aisle.  There's no endcap presence, or banners.  And with the movie less than 2 months out, I would expect a more concerted promotional push. 

With BD being relatively new to the boys toys world, I think they might have some challenges facing them.  But these are looking serious.  They may have some old ToyBiz people on board, but it doesn't look like they're making much headway in merchandising with Toys R Us.

Feedback

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 29, 2012, 08:53 AM »

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 30, 2012, 11:04 AM »
The Bridge Direct posted on Facebook that wave 2 is indeed due out summer 2013   >:(