Author Topic: Clone Wars - Best of 2011  (Read 5975 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Clone Wars - Best of 2011
« on: December 20, 2011, 08:58 PM »
That time of year again, just curious what everyone enjoyed the most from the 2011 CW line.  It seems like this line has really come into its own lately, and its too bad it is getting so little attention in 2012.  I can't remember exactly what wave kicked off the year, but looking at the "Shadows of the Dark Side" packaging change, here's some of my favorites since then:

Pre Vizla
Aurra Sing
Embo
Flamethrower Clonetrooper
Boba Fett
Shaak Ti
Mando Warrior
Seripas
Chewbacca
Savage Oppress (Armored)

I don't think I really picked up many (any?) of the vehicles this year, at least not for some time.  I did get the deluxe set Y-Wing Bomber thing, which was pretty neat.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Clone Wars - Best of 2011
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 11:17 PM »
I felt Seripas and Embo were particularly great...  Maybe baby Boba too.  I'm not as into animated stuff of course, but I found some good buys that fit in well enough with my realistic guys.

I'd give runner-ups to El Les, and Sgt. Bric...  I thought both were pretty neat, sorta fit in.

In Deluxe Vehicle w/Figure terms, my vote goes squarely to the Republic Scout Speeder thingie with an ARF Trooper...  A lot will go with the Y-Wing Scout Ship, and it's neat, but that Republic thing with the ARF was a bit cooler to me.  More "practical" and "realistic" looking than the Y-Wing I guess...  I bought 3 actually.

In the Mid-Size vehicle realm I bought nothing that I can recall...  I suppose the artillery piece should get the nod though, from me.  Nothing else really appealed to me from this.

The "BMF" for the year is officially a dismal failure.  When it dropped like a sack of potatoes that fast on Amazon, I knew that thing was just dead.  I got mine for $25.  And, I'll be honest, I feel like that's about right.  It's an ok toy for kids (still feels a little overpriced at full price, even if the kiddies were begging for it), but for a collector it's just not as interesting IMO.  It really took a massive price drop for me to even consider buying it, at the end.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 11:21 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 10:24 AM »
Here are my favorite figures from 2011:
Commander Jet/Geonosis Special Ops Clone
Aqua Droid
Chewbacca
Commander Colt/ARC Troopers
Seripas

Most Overrated figure: armored Savage
Most Underrated: Saesee Tiin (I see almost nothing said about it, when it's a very good figure)

Best Deluxe: Castas with Speeder Bike

Best vehicle: I guess the AV-7 cannon, as that's the only new $25ish release this year

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 01:00 PM »
Hmmm, how about the Mandalorian Assault Transport and those 2 awesome Walmart DVD-2 packs?

Oh wait, those toys never ever actually came out, and probably never will before the JAN reset.  ::)

The best thing about this year was having MORE than 19 figures, 1 battlepack and a small handful of Deluxe sets to buy and enjoy.

I guess next year at this time we'll all be saying the best thing from 2012 was how much money we saved over the past year by them NOT making any of the hundreds of cool toy options from this show that have yet to materialize.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 03:32 PM »
Oh I forgot the exclusive category...

Totally agree on the Attack on Coronet.  A really nice set, for a good price.  Love that Assassin Spider Droid and its little baby eyeballs.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 09:16 PM »
Best Figure: Hmm.  Aqua Battle Droid would be a tie with Chewbacca.  A lot of very good figures this year, but few knockouts.

Most Overrated: Seripas.

Most Underrated: Barris Ofee.

Best Vehicle: They did a vehicle?

Best Deluxe: Close Tie between Y-Wing Scout and Castas with bike.

Best Battlepack: Defend Kamino.

Best Exclusive: Attack on the Coronet.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 10:32 PM »
Oooo, forgot about the Aqua Droid...  Hmmm.  I'd put him up with Seripas (I don't think he's overrated at all!  Love the weirdness of the design and the overall articulation they put into the suit ultimately) and Embo (or was Embo a 2010 that is just still lingering around?) ultimately.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 08:15 AM »
Yeah, Embo was 2010.  I rated Seripas as overrated only because of some of the hype with him.  I like him a lot, but he's got limitations.  Still in my top 10 for the year.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 11:21 AM »
Top 5 Figures:  Chewbacca / Saesee Tiin / Barriss Offee / Flamethrower Clone Trooper / Savage Opress (armored)

Most Overrated: Seripas (I have to agree here.  The armored suit is cool but the actual Seripas inside should have been posable.)

Most Underrated: CW 62 Captain Rex - A great update with the softgoods kama.  Although ultimately I would have preferred if we had gotten him with the new season 4 helmet.

Best Vehicle:  Republic Heavy Artillery Cannon

Best Deluxe: Republic Scout Speeder with ARF Trooper (I might have voted otherwise if I could have found the Y-Wing scout bomber)

Best Battlepack: Defend Kamino (Cool Clone repaints of named Clones plus the new ARC Trooper)

Best Exclusive: Attack on the Coronet (I had been wanting the Assasin droid for a long time.  Glad we got it in this set!)
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 10:31 AM »
Best Vehicle: They did a vehicle?

Jedi Turbo Speeder, Republic Shuttle,  AV-7 Heavy Artillery Cannon, Mandalorian Gunship (if you ordered it online!),  Remote Control Hailfire Droid (technically a droid), Droid Gunship (or was that year?). Can't remember when the Swamp Speeder was released, it never seemed to be around much in stores...actually most of the new vehicles didn't.

Or were you being sarcastic? Oh, well.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 01:09 PM »
I was being sarcastic, yes.