Author Topic: GI Joe Retaliation - The Toys!  (Read 102092 times)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: GI Joe Retaliation - The Toys!
« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2012, 07:51 PM »
$20 is a good price on those 3-packs but $24.99 on the AWE Striker, which is the Bravo line, should be about $10 cheaper than that...or more like $16.99 maybe.  The figures, I think, are supposed to be around $7.99.

You did good on that 3-pack though.  I actually may buy both of those even though I don't really have much use for another SE or SS.  I kind of dig the zip line accessories, the Cobra Ninja is a good looking figure and the other set is pretty much all win.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2012, 01:59 AM »

^ That's the pic of what I saw there at the store.  Vintage Stock stores tend to carry mostly movies, CDs, books... and a pretty cool selection of 80s-present toys.  Most loose stuff, but some carded stuff too.  And once in a while they'll get in a case or two of new figures of Star Wars or GI JOE.

I wanted to get the Roadblock set, but since my JOE fun is pretty much 100% for my son now, I just got the Ninja set because that's what he picked out.  If I was by myself, I would have gotten the other set and given him that.  He'll get that set I suppose for his birthday and most of the basic figures.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2012, 03:29 AM »
I still don't like the graphics but at least this line pops on the shelf.  Nice, bright colors compared to the dull greens, greys and blacks of the RoC line.  At this point, the figures could come in bags with header cards for all I care, just as long as they sell okay, they're easy to find, make it past the first 2 waves and don't linger 3 years later at discount stores.

Oh, and I can find the GI Joe Trooper.  I love that figure.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2012, 07:46 AM »
Went by a store today called Vintage Stock in St. Louis (Chesterfield Mall) as I heard a tip that they had some of the new movie figures.

What I saw:

Basic Figures ($9.99)
- Snake Eyes  x 1
- Storm Shadow x 1

Deluxe Motorcycles ($14.99)
- Snake Eyes x 6
- Firefly x 6

Battle Packs ($19.99)
- Cobra Ninja, Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow x 2
- Kamukara, Roadblock, Beachhead x 2

Vehicles ($24.99)
- AWE Striker (Snake Eyes) x 2

I picked up the Cobra Ninja set for my son, that's what he wanted.  I'll upload a couple pics when I get a chance. But overall, I thought these looked really cool.  And if standard retail can keep the prices on the basic figures down, this line could be a real hit.  The deluxes were lame though in my opinion and are destined for clearance.

Nice find.  Almost makes me willing to go visit the inlaws who live around 5 mins from there.   

Almost. 

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2012, 10:39 AM »
There are three Vintage Stock stores in my general area... one is close, the others are about 45-60 minutes away.  When Borders closed down, some of those vacant spots were taken over by Vintage Stock.  So the stores are huge.

The one that is close really doesn't have much Joe stuff at all, but has more Star Wars. 

The second store, where I got these, has a really nice selection of Joes, and decent on Star Wars. 

I haven't been to the third store yet, but am going to try and hit it sometime in the next week or so.  It's really out of the way though.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 19, 2012, 09:52 PM »
I found the Snake Eyes and Firefly motorcycle sets at KMart today.  They were in the ass-end of the toy section by the baby toys and set in between some other homeless toys and clearance stuff.  I didn't even price them.  They aren't completely terrible, but I won't be buying these.

No figures or other vehicles about today but I've seen some scattered reports of other finds beyond the Meijer (or was it a Fred Meyer store?) early release from a couple weeks ago.

E...

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2012, 05:08 PM »
Holy ****.

I can't help but think that the grim box office take by Battleship prompted this.  I think someone panicked and decided they needed 3D money just in case they needed some small bump in first weekend take...and also, I don't think Paramount wanted to release this film just a few weeks after what they see as a failure in Battleship...didn't want Joe to sucked down with it maybe?  By going to March they probably are getting an open weekend with no competition.

But this HAS to screw Hasbro.  They hinged an entire summer's worth of GI Joe product on this film and now they have 5 waves of figures, vehicles and role play toys due in FIVE days at retail and it now has NO support.  I think you can kiss everything beyond the first wave goodbye at this point.

E...

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2012, 05:33 PM »
I'd love to be a fly on the wall at Hasbro HQ right now. With their issue with distribution for TF, JOE, Star Wars, the utter shitte that is battleship merch and now this... If this was Japan they would be a lot of seppuku going on about now.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2012, 05:42 PM »
Wow....just Wow...Are they seriously going to have retailers/dist centers sit on product for a full year or will they make them send it all back?  Thanks Battle****...   >:(
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 23, 2012, 05:48 PM »
Wow....just Wow...Are they seriously going to have retailers/dist centers sit on product for a full year or will they make them send it all back?  Thanks Battle****...   >:(

I'm guessing it's too late to pull stuff back. Hasbro will have a movie line without a movie.  ::)

I'm betting we will see Waves 1 and maybe 2 on the shelves, then the rest of the basic figures delayed. Hasbro is likely scrambling to get some classic-style repaint figures/waves (like POC Waves 5&6) out so they can have product on the shelves for the rest of the year while holding back what's left of their movie stuff.

This move definitely shows a HUGE disconnect between Hasbro's "multi-media/entertainment" side and their "toy" side.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 05:52 PM by Greg »

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 23, 2012, 07:03 PM »
If I'm a buyer at Target, Walmart or TRU, I'm frantically dialing my Hasbro sales rep demanding information and some type of discounts on this.  There's no way this doesn't cost Hasbro huge money in one way or another.

I can see it resulting in big discounts or loss of future shelf space or even no support on other movie properties that Hasbro is producing toys for.

Besides Avengers, GI Joe was really the only other huge toy movie due this year so you have to believe that TRU and Target, at least, had some plan in the works for a featured front end (TRU) or end cap (Target) to push the movie toys. 

GI Joe is still GI Joe, it has a fan base and will sell even without a movie, but I can't believe for a second that even IF Hasbro ships waves 2 and up that retail would be willing to carry much of it.  Walmart hasn't had Joe figures since the first of the year, Target is currently clearancing the leftover Renegades/30th figures and TRU, well, TRU will sit on all sorts of stuff for years...  But can we expect a store like Target to carry stuff advertising a movie that wasn't released?

Hasbro has had so many problems for the last 6 - 10 months getting any of their product in stores this CAN'T be a good thing for them.  They had down numbers in their last quarter, they laid off a bunch of people (including in the MU team and that's the ONLY line that's actually making it to retail) and I have a hard time believing that The Phantom Menace helped their bottom line that well seeing as they put out all the Buy 1 Get 1 and other discount coupons back in Feb/March.

This is such a complete cluster **** for Hasbro is so many more ways than just having a film delayed 9 months.  Other than Avengers, they haven't had a hit movie line in years, and none of them have been managed well at retail. 

E...

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 23, 2012, 07:27 PM »
If I'm a buyer at Target, Walmart or TRU, I'm frantically dialing my Hasbro sales rep demanding information and some type of discounts on this.  There's no way this doesn't cost Hasbro huge money in one way or another.

I guess the chance to make more money on the movie far outweighed any toy- and marketing-related costs associated with the change in release date.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 23, 2012, 07:29 PM »
Just read this as well, unbelievable.  I personally haven't seen any movie product for Joe yet, but it has to be "in the system" at this point, because wasn't it set to be available next week or something?  This has to be somewhat of a disaster for Hasbro.  Sure, it may still sell to some extent, but having a movie line with no movie out seems so stupid - has it ever happened before?  Plus, you would think Hasbro would have had some say in this, being their property, but I guess the studio gets the final word.  Too bad, I was sort of looking forward to Joe as well.

I can see the March date next year, but the fact that there have been several trailers and even a toy line (!) is what makes this so stupid.  It probably stands a better chance in that time, since it was opening only days before Spider-Man this year, and a couple weeks before Dark Knight Rises.  Not a lot of box office left for something like Joe.  But yikes, another mark in the weird year it has been for Hasbro's toy lines.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #103 on: May 23, 2012, 07:57 PM »
Wow...  just, holy ****balls.  Wow.

This puts Hasbro's Joe team in an odd place since the year's line is basically mapped out.  Where do you now go with it?  Do you basically cull everything after this initial launch of items, and go with some kind of limited toy launch?  Can you crank out maybe more of the stuff you had from the last year that still has demand to fill the void till March?

I guess stuff like this happens, but not often.  This seems like such an obvious mistake to me...  Are they that afraid of the film competition this year?  It's a year of toy blitzes for sure, but really was it that bad that you'd put this on the back-burner so easily?  This seems like a bad, bad move, to me.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #104 on: May 24, 2012, 01:28 AM »
Considering this brand has been on life support since ROC, I think this will do GI Joe in for a few years.

Incredible that it happens the day the toys hit retail and the Blu-Ray release is revealed. But if there are real problems with the film, then maybe it isn't a bad thing. Sucks right now, though.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk