Author Topic: GI Joe Retaliation - The Toys!  (Read 102101 times)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: GI Joe Retaliation - The Toys!
« Reply #15 on: February 3, 2012, 04:24 PM »
I don't get Hasbro's fascination with motorcycles.  Anyone remember Star Wars Customs? 

Maybe it was more in the animation somewhere, but I don't remember when Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow became associated with them.  But Hasbro, in general, seems to love them, look at the Spider-Man and Lizard pics that leaked.  Seems that all the Marvel movie lines have come with some type of motorcycle or 4-wheeler and they're back again for this film.

I like the looks of the Combat Cruiser and Ghost Hawk II, the Tread Ripper may not be that bad and, while it's not necessarily my thing, the Water Moccasin (don't think I can call it the FangBoat with a straight face) in Cobra color isn't terrible.

Not sure what's up with the GI Joe Trooper w/ the Cobra gear unless it's a Spy Troops type thing.  The Trooper photo that USAToday posted looked excellent so I'm not sure what's up with this.

And then, Jinx.  She's on my top 10 list of characters I wanted to see updated and now to have her at SDCC?  Knowing that HTS.com, if they sell after the show, will probably have learned nothing from last year's fiasco just makes my blood boil.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #16 on: February 3, 2012, 04:40 PM »
I'm hoping they'll have a ton of them, like they did for the ROC Destro. But the speculators will still drive the price up anyway like they did with Zarana.

Also, I was thinking. Jinx's name is Kim Arashikage, and Storm Shadow's name in the comics is Tommy Arashikage. Siblings?
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 3, 2012, 06:17 PM »
Did anybody notice the loss of articulation in the line?

No ankles for Cobra Commander

No elbows for the vehicle drivers.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 3, 2012, 07:33 PM »
The vehicle drivers are T-crotch, non-articulated placeholders.

Hasbro has said they're pulling articulation and now we have proof.  It's a bad deal all around.  Not every figure is losing articulation, the new GI Joe Trooper and some others have a new ankle joint, but in general, yeah, big loss of articulation.  One thing that sucks, I haven't seen any ankle articulation on any of the Roadblock figs yet.  I'm also worred about wrists now too.  Those are harder to tell.

I need more time to get past what we're losing vs what we're getting.  I'm just angry right now.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 3, 2012, 08:33 PM »
Damn it. The Jinx people want is a SDCC exclusive  :P.  Its the closet anyone is going to get to ARAH Jinx.  I am digging these movie Joes more than the last one. 

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 3, 2012, 09:11 PM »
I like them too, for the most part... but what I really want to see is a Zartan figure as the president... and young versions of Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow from the first movie.  Sigh.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 4, 2012, 09:42 AM »
I'm just angry right now.

E...

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

right there with you.  this is some BS.  I collect action figures - not playschool

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #22 on: February 5, 2012, 12:51 AM »
I'd really hate to think they sacrificed articulation for those gimmicky launchers to keep the price at $9 (which I noticed Joes cost at Target now) but it appears they did. Damn it. I had a big bag of those missile launchers I threw in recycling from ROC, and I really didn't want to do it again, though I'll buy these anyway.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: February 5, 2012, 03:18 PM »
Wow, the articulation thing slipped right by me...  THAT is something to REALLY be pissed over...  The price sucks and now the poseability too?  That was all that made me, as a kid, buy GI Joes.  I wanted more fun figures, and they quickly replaced Star Wars as my favorites because they were poseable.

That's really some bull****.  Especially with them owning the license and reusing parts as much as they do with GI Joe.  That sucks and makes it easy to pass on some guys.

I think losing ankle articulation isn't the end of the world, if youg et a price drop to go with it.  You should never lose the elbow, shoulder, knee, and hip joints though.  That's what makes the line's figures good.

I'm going to nab the Cobra trooper (a functional parachute?  Awesome), and the Joe trooper I think, and then call it a day I believe.  Unless they make an awesome flint or something.  I always liked Flint and didn't like his 25th figure with the goofy forearm joint.

Zartan's also a maybe.

I'm really bummed to hear about the driver articulation though.  That's a nutpunch.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 5, 2012, 03:38 PM »
I don't know if they sacrificed articulation in favor of the spring loaded guns, they didn't for RoC, and Hasbro has usually said the pack-ins and accessories don't impact the price of the figures.  This is just going to be a trend on all their lines, I believe, and we'll probably have to get used to it.

One of my main questions is, how will this impact repacks?  Since a major investment, sculpting and tooling, will already be taken care of, I'd hope that we'd still see plenty of classic characters and kitbashes using the existing library.  But will we see fewer overall releases per year of that type of figure? 

E...

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 5, 2012, 06:33 PM »
I'm probably an outsider with this, but I don't care about missing ankle articulation. In the case of Cobra Commander, it greatly improves the look of the sculpted boot. I don't mind ball jointed knees instead of double hinged knees. Both styles of articulation accomplish the same goal, and both have some minor tradeoffs. I also don't mind swivel wrists instead of ball jointed wrists, despite the ball joint wrists being much better. If there is any lesson that the Joe line can learn from Star Wars, it's that not every character needs super duper articulation. As long as "the essentials" (ball joint neck, shoulders, elbows, hips; movement at waist/torso, wrists, and knees) are covered I don't see any reason to complain. That being said...

The vehicle drivers are absolute bull****. It's a total slap in the face to collectors and kids. A great part about the Joe vehicles was getting a normal figure included, even if it was just a cobbled together "frankenJoe." The new statues won't even fit in with normal Joe figures. No vehicle drivers would have been better than the **** we're getting. It's even more aggravating that such cool designs (Clutch and VAMP Driver in particular) are being wasted with only five POAs... total BS. 

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 6, 2012, 10:13 AM »
People may be jumping the gun on the lack of articulation. Those photos are always doctored up.

But if there is less articulation. I don't understand. Is it really cheaper to tool up new molds with limited articulation than to recolor an existing one with articulation? I doubt most if any of the larger vehicle drivers are in the film.  GI JOE's Hasbro's brand and they don't have to pay licensing compared to Marvel or Star Wars, unless the film likenesses are a factor. Plus they rehash vehicle molds, too.

GI JOE's legacy was the moveable fighting man, and whenever they've reduced articulation, the line has sucked and sucked hard (Extreme, the first Gi JOE Vs. Cobra figures in 2002, those little sigma six 2.5" things).

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 6, 2012, 10:27 AM »
Where is everyone getting that these are less articulated? Most of the pictures are too small to even tell, and the basic figures look like they've got all the standard points, except ankles in a few cases where shin guards would limit it anyway.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 6, 2012, 10:33 AM »
http://cooltoyreview.com/story/front/Hasbro_GI_Joe_Retaliation_Toys_Fully_Revealed_143508.asp

check out all of the pics for details on each figure.  Ankles are not a huge issue as most of us are in agreement with, but scroll down on the above link and click on the vehicles to see the vehicle drivers.....   :'(

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 6, 2012, 02:42 PM »
Ouch, I am by no means an articulation junkie, I can live without stuff like ankles and double knees, but yeah, the vehicle drivers are a bit much. It's a move I'd expect from a company like Mattel, not Hasbro. Seems they're cutting corners on all thier movie lines lately, the Transformers movie line seems to have shrunk and is 80% repaints now, Avengers lost POA's and now even Joe. If I were to theorize, I'd wager it's because they've taken hits on thier past movie lines, putting a bunch of money into fully articulated figures only for most of them to wind up on clearance. We'll have to wait and see if it affects the non movie line offerings that follow. Lets hope not, Joe is one of the few lines left that actually gives you pack in figs with the vehicles. They're the only reason I bothered with some of them.