Author Topic: Chronicles of Narnia  (Read 28252 times)

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
Re: Chronicles of Narnia
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2005, 02:47 PM »
I've read them both ways...Publication Way the first time growing up, Chronologicaly the second time last year.  I think it makes (to me at least) a lot more sense to do it Chronologically

Part of the thing with LWW is that it introduces the world of Narnia in a very natural fashion; as the characters discover Narnia so do the readers simultaneously. In that way I think it's a better introduction to the series than TMN which to a certain extent assumes you know something about Narnia.

But of course when re-reading them it does make a lot of sense to do it chronologically now that the reader has the big picture.

That's part of the problem with the SW prequels I think -- the way Lucas set up and structured them, it takes for granted that you've seen the OT. Maybe not intentionally, but that's how it turned out. For instance, TPM really has no setup of the Jedi or the Force, whereas that is all explained in the middle of the series, ANH. If one were to watch the six chronologically, I daresay a first-time viewer wouldn't get it initially, having to pick up on everything by context, and from their perspective the whole Force thing isn't properly introduced until the 4th movie.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2005, 10:24 AM »
Do any of you remember the cartoon mini series of this book, I vaguely remember watching it as a kid?

I do!  I do!!

Remember really like it.. ..but a little scary.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2005, 07:51 PM »

Offline Commander JediSearch

• Jedi Initiate
  • Do what must be done... I support Order 66
    • View Profile
    • The Archive
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2005, 09:55 PM »
I can't wait to see this one!  :D
Stephen - Louisville, KY
Sandtroopers | KSWCC | My Collection

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2005, 08:34 AM »
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to this one as well.  I haven't read the books since I was a kid, and sadly don't have them anymore, but I've been thinking about picking them up again and reading them prior to the movie(s).  From the first trailer, it looks like it will be pretty good.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2005, 01:12 AM »

Offline Loopy_Leia

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2005, 07:25 PM »
I didn't read everything in this thread because I was afraid it would have spoilers. 

I haven't ever read the books but I saw the trailer for the movie and decided I needed to read the books first.  I am weird that way!  So, 2 weekends ago a friend of mine bought it for me.  I love those kinds of books.  Funny thing is my fiance won't let me read it until I have moved in with him in Sept.  Sort of hard to read it over the phone from 3,000 miles away, right?

Anyways, I am sure these will be good books when I finally get to read them...hahaha. 

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2005, 10:47 PM »
I haven't ever read the books but I saw the trailer for the movie and decided I needed to read the books first. I am weird that way!

Not weird at all--I often do the same thing.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2005, 09:53 AM »
I'm actually doing the same thing.  I picked the book up a little over a week ago, and I've got one chapter left to read.  I haven't read it since I was a kid, and wanted to do it before the movie in December.  Anyways, Filmforce has a few images up from the upcoming movie, clicky above if you're interested.  I'm really looking forward to the movie, and hope it is great.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2005, 11:39 AM »
One-sheet poster revealed

Gorgeous!

Meh. . .it looks like photoshop threw up all over it.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2005, 12:27 PM »
I finished reading these for the first time about a year ago, in chronilogical order, and I was pretty blown away. I was impressed about how much I liked the Magician's Nephew and how well it set up The Lion the Which and the Wardrobe. The last chapter of the last book is probably the most stunning peice of literature I've ever read. I hope the Film does the story justice.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2005, 12:58 PM »
Me too- I had to read the " the lion, the witch..ect" in early gradeschool and it still remains as one of my most FAV "forced school reads" of all time. It inspired me tor ead the rest of the series. The movie clips look awesome bringin' back the memories!Can't wait for this and King Kong rendition!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2005, 09:09 AM »
Filmforce has a bunch of new pictures from the upcoming CON: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe.  I'm looking forward to this film, and hope it is done well.  Looking at these pictures, I think things are shaping up pretty good.  The characters/scenery looks pretty much the way I imagined it when I read the book.  Hit the linky for pics, if interested.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2005, 02:04 PM »
Wow! Thanks for the link!

In this centaur pic I like how the makeup people seemingly tweaked the lines of his cheeks and nose so they look more "horsey". Or they just found a guy that already looked like a horse. ;) Either way, good call.

And I also like the little antlery things on the White Witch's gold crown in that other picture ... looks like some sort of prehistoric deer.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 02:10 PM by Valin Kenobi »

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2005, 10:52 PM »
dude i love those books they were great biblical analogies wich where great

Cslewis was a genius and the graphic s for the movie d@mn they rock out loud i cant wait for these clasics to be put on the big screen in december :o