Author Topic: Chronicles of Narnia  (Read 28256 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Chronicles of Narnia
« Reply #60 on: December 9, 2005, 12:15 PM »
In the end I'm going to go see the movie - I too l loved the stories when I was little.  I just get turned off when I see relgion get wrapped up in Marketing and the other way around.  Especially when it's a tactic to get the "Christian market" into the theaters. 

Of course, of the movies now in theaters that I want to see but haven't yet, Chronicles of Narnia comes in third behind Syriana and Walk the Line.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 9, 2005, 02:04 PM »
For me it's King Kong 1, then Narnia 2, syriana 3

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 9, 2005, 02:09 PM »
Can you blame Disney though? Passion of the Christ earned a heck of a lot of money. Every studio wants to tap into that. It's just business. I'm not saying I agree or think it's necessary though.

Though, I think the film will do well enough on it's own.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 9, 2005, 02:38 PM »
Of course it's just business - doesn't mean it's not sleazy.

King Kong isn't out this weekend, so I'm not counting that on my little list there.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 9, 2005, 07:32 PM »
Of course it's just business - doesn't mean it's not sleazy.

;D
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2005, 04:00 PM »
Saw Narnia last night and LOVED it! I went to the 10:15 pm show to avoid the crowd, but the theatre was still packed. The imagery was terrific and I wouldn't be surprised if I went to see it again. :)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2005, 01:36 AM »
I managed to catch the movie last night.  Very well done and worth going to see.  If you liked Lord of the Rings, or the Harry Potter movies, you'll like this one as well.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2005, 02:14 PM »
Saw this yesterday. Up to par with ROTK, IMO.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2005, 03:44 PM »
I enjoyed it.  I wouldn't quite put it up there with any of the amazing LOTR flicks, but it had a similar feel to it.  The CG was pretty good overall, especially Aslan, but a little spotty in parts too.  The kids were better than I expected.  I could've gone for a slightly longer running time in order to develop their characters up a little more after they met Aslan and were preparing for the battle.  But definitely a recommended watch.  I'll probably go check it out again when I have some time.

Also, after a minute or two of the end credits, there's another brief clip which essentially hints at the sequel.  So I'm sure once the movie studio has had a week or two to review the box office receipts, they'll quickly decide if it's back to work for the next one, which would be what... Prince Caspian?  I dunno anymore now that they've tweaked the original order of the books all around.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2005, 04:54 PM »
Until I'd gotten to this thread today, the reviews I'd read were almost universally underwhelming.  Most people seemed to think it was a good but unspectacular movie.

Unfortunately, this is now the 4th movie on my list of stuff I need to see in theaters... so I probably won't get a chance to make up my mind for a few weeks...

Offline Loopy_Leia

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2005, 10:09 PM »
My fiancee and I went and saw Narnia on Saturday.  I enjoyed it and thought it followed the book exactly.  Of course I had to sit by somebody who left their cell phone on so it kept ringing and the thing that got me was she ANSWERED it!!! Anyways, then, apparently she had read the books when she was a kid but her husband (or whoever the heck she was with) hadn't so if you ever wanted to know how the movie went then just listen to her.  GRRRRR!!!

Anyways, I have the unabridged version with all 7 books starting with "The Magicians Nephew"  I haven't gotten any farther than The Lion , the Witch, and the Wardrobe as of yet but I am hoping that I can eventually....too much other stuff going on in our lives :)

If you haven't seen it, I suggest you do!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2005, 11:21 AM »
We didn't get a chance to get out to the movies last weekend, so we caught Chronicles of Narnia this past weekend.  We both really liked it, and I thought it followed the book pretty well.  My wife remembered watching an animated version on HBO growing up (I haven't seen), and she really liked the movie as well.  I can see the LOTR comparisons, due to the nature of the story/world, but it isn't really as "dark" as the LOTR films.  I can't say I like it as much as the LOTR movies, but still enjoyed it a lot.  Definite pick up on DVD when it comes out.

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2005, 08:10 PM »
man tehy did an excellant job on the movie it was great i saw it  x-mas eve it was incredible it was incredibly true to the book 2 tumbs up good job disney.

oh and jedi mak the next book is
"a horse and his boy" its a back story so i dunno if theyll  make it but  yes caspian would be next then
"dawn treader" then "silver chair" then the "last battle" the last one is like Revelations in the bible theres an anti aslan pretty cool stuff

ps for any of u customizers the narnia line looks real good if its 3 and 3/4ths
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 08:14 PM by Smartypants1635 »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2005, 02:03 PM »
http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2003/12/03/tolkien_lewis/index_np.html

I'll bring this article up again...please read it, it discusses many of the topics being discussed here (including Christian Allegory and likenesses to LOTR)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 3, 2006, 11:25 AM »
I read this morning that Narnia passed up Kong to win the box office this past weekend.  Kind of nice to see this film do well and have some legs, looks like it will end up outperforming Kong overall too, at least fromt he looks of things.