Author Topic: Toy Fair 2012  (Read 29582 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Toy Fair 2012
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2012, 02:32 PM »
The Tarkin issue aside, I was actually pleasantly surprised with what we saw at Toy Fair.  Sure, much of it had been confirmed or rumored prior to the show, but it was nice to see what was on the way - for the Vintage Collection in particular.  I would guess that we have seen the rest of the Vintage Collection for 2012, which is kind of cool I guess.  In recent years, it has been more about SDCC (and last year NYCC), so we didn't always get to see much new at Toy Fair (I noticed with the Marvel lines it was mostly stuff we had already seen in some form, a little better with Star Wars).

I saw a rumor at JTA that the Vintage Collection might be going on hiatus starting in 2013 (which Hasbro mentioned at one time or another in a Q and A or something I think - to keep it fresh).  Personally, I'd like to see them just finish it out with this line look.  I thought - with a few disappointments - the Vintage Collection figures all looked pretty great.  I'm jazzed about all the ROTJ updates, as well as the other stuff.  A pretty nice variety overall, which is good to see too.  Not sure I care about the SDCC exclusive that much either, but in a way it is better to have it that way when so many of us can't make it to the show anyways.  That sometimes seems like one of those can't win situations - they make something awesome and people will be like "oh man, why did they make it an exclusive because we can't get it", or they make something that people aren't interested in and it is "lame, what a waste".  I don't know that I care enough about this one to pick it up if it is available online later, but it is nice not to care much either way on it too.

The CW seems to continue to be pretty much forgotten this year.  Nothing really new there, and it seems like it was barely even mentioned in their summary.  I really wonder what the future of that line holds - if it is shifting to "realistic" and the animated style is heading into the sunset, and if we'll continue to see the low numbers during these 3D release years.  Also, I've seen it mentioned at a few sites (and heard it in the presentation during the SWAN podcast), but has anyone seen pictures of these "all new" battle packs (I believe there is a Qui-Gon/Obi/Maul one and a Vader/Luke Fett one).  I guess the figures were supposed to be pretty nice (although its all characters we've gotten several times), and I was just curious.

Overall though, a pretty nice Toy Fair overall I thought - at least from the Vintage side of things.  We didn't see much else aside from figures, and there seemed to be a lot of focus on Fighter Pods and Amp'd, but hopefully there will be some exclusive surprises later in the year.  I've been trying to think of what could pop up later in the year.  We've been getting some all-new beasts lately as a late year exclusives (Target Rancor, Target Taun Taun, WM Dewback, WM Jabba, etc.), as well as vintage boxed stuff.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2012, 03:06 PM »
Jar Jar in Carbonite is the SDCC 2012 exclusive, but only available in a "Lost Packaging" style box-set of six figures?

Wow.

I have the potential for big life changes this year and they just keep making it easier and easier for the to quit outright.

I've been seriously contemplating going back to being an opener only and returning all of the 2012 Maul-packaged stuff I still have MOC/MIP/MIB...

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2012, 05:25 PM »
I haven't really been following too much, but there's going to be a JarJar in carbonite sdcc exclusive?  seriously?
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2012, 05:55 PM »
I haven't really been following too much, but there's going to be a JarJar in carbonite sdcc exclusive?  seriously?

Yep. It's going to draw you back in.  ;)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2012, 08:26 PM »
Wow, what a letdown.

- Tarkin sucks, which is disappointing considering how long we've been waiting for one. Why waste soft goods on him? That's just a puzzling move, save that for Jedi or Troopers, or people who actually do more than just stand there and walk around.

Death Star conference all the officers are sitting. I like for them to sit, but that cloth looks bad, even the old POTF2 molded on "skirt" detail was better looking (and he could sit).

This is true, but on Diddly's Shelf their only job is to stand at attention behind Vader and Palpatine and look like they're about to lead their troops to victory over the pitiful Rebel forces. Thus, no need for soft goods, or even ball jointed hips. :P

Would it kill Hasbro to have some consistency between their Imperial Officers?

They've never gotten them right. It's amazing. They sculpted Needa's torso with removable rank badges and have only used it again on At-At Commander whose badge is covered up by his armor.

Agreed, I felt like Needa was basically perfect other than the legs. My biggest beef has been with the colors of the tunics. Needa, Veers and Jerjerrod at least match, but Ozzel had that funky color and Tarkin's is even worse.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 08:26 PM by Diddly »
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2012, 12:07 AM »
I'd love to see BAD return.  I bought some figures I didn't even want just for the BAD parts.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2012, 12:25 AM »
A few other things I read/heard from Toy Fair coverage... 

- sounds like maybe Hasbro isn't going to NYCC this year?  Sounds like they may blow the Fall 2012 wad at SDCC and then do the AOTC3D/2013 preview stuff at Celebration VI instead...

- No mention of any mailaway?  I know in the Q&A last Fall they said there were thinking about taking a break, but it was sort of sad not to see one planned for this year.  There have been some nice mail-away treats since 2008 (Rex, Vebb, Eopie, RocketFett, ProtoFett), bummer that they are seemingly ending again.   Guess I'll have to go back to recycling all those UPCs.  :(

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2012, 11:42 AM »
It seems ARMP'D is in scale with Jedi Force so I'm guessing that it's just an extension of it.  Maybe I'm wrong on that but that was the impression I got.

It seems they did have some new stuff shown.

http://www.galactichunter.com/absoluteig/gallery.asp?categoryid=6799

A few figures. Naboo fighter. Vader's TIE...it spins!

That means they've done 2  kiddie Vader TIE's and we still got the POTF2 one reissued last year.  :(

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2012, 04:54 PM »
After the recent bitching and moaning by collectors that they got smashed packaging for their Mail-away that was probably pretty expensive to produce and basically given away...  I can't blame Hasbro for shelving it.

I'm highly disappointed in that too Jeff as I was loving the stuff they did and I just like getting cool **** in the mail.  I put this squarely on the shoulders of the collectors who raised holy hell over packaging damage issues, but still basically expected to get something for free without understanding any of the economics and logistics involved in getting the mail-away figures out.

I'm sure they'll bitch at some point that they're not getting mail-aways now too.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2012, 11:51 AM »
It's not free at all.    We all chipped in a $7 check and not to mention the 4-5 figures we all had to buy to get it.  The jag-offs in the mail department should be able to get the damn product to collectors in decent condition.    I don't think it's too much for collectors to ask for that after shelling out the money for it.  If it's going to arrive in bad condition then I would just rather buy it in the stores.  That way I don't have to wait 3 months for it to arrive in a beat up mailer box either. 

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2012, 12:38 PM »
I didn't think there was all that much complaining.  At least I didn't read very much of it.  Some of my stuff didn't arrive in perfect shape, but it's not that big of a deal.  Shockingly I don't always find perfectly mint stuff at retail either.   ;)

I wonder if it's just a combination of profits (can't imagine they make much off these with shipping) and the hassle of the order form from the last go around.  That was a much bigger stink than any packaging complaints I've heard.  Between all the questions and complaints, then having to honor old UPCs anyway I bet they figured the hassle just wasn't worth it.  The intent here is to sell incremental new stuff and generate excitement over the line - seems like the last try at this did the exact opposite. 

It is too bad either way - you'd think they would have something going, especially with the flicks coming back to theathers.   :(
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2012, 02:37 PM »
Like JJ I was bummed of no mail away mentioned. I thought the Proto Fett was the best one yet because it fits into the collection nicley and makes a cool generic Mando. I was hoping to see a a Sebastian Shaw Ghost Anakin be the next MA figure, that would truly hearken back to Kenner nostalgia. I have to say overall Hasbro has a great line on tap this year how anyone could be disappointed is beyond me. I do question the choice of the Droid Closet Tank but it's still neat that they made it. Seeing how the TPM flopped only makes the choice seem more like a "I told you so". I am still committing to buying one.

Like other debut figures I think Tarkin will look better in production. I hope they use a thicker cloth material like the Target Han Hoth, I think it would blend in a little better. I like how they tackled so many much needed re-sculpts in one year, it fills a lot of holes in my collection. I am hopeful we will see Yakface, Ree-Yees and Snaggletooth at SDCC. STAN said to expect them more or less so it must be true...
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2012, 03:56 PM »
Hasbro is tight with info lately (no slide show, somewhat less leaked figures on ebay). Can we rule out a 2012 mail-in yet? Have they officially said there would not be one?

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2012, 04:15 PM »
I didn't see too much complaining regarding the mail away condition with this last one. Even if there was, Hasbro decides what they want to do based on internal planning/directions, with very little scouring of the interent for good/bad feedback. Some positive kudos are a bonus, some negatives a ding, but in the end it is about bean counters and product line models.

With the vintage packaging, they had to realize they were marketing the packaging as much as the figure. Everyone would be better off if they went to the old school plastic bagged figure in a white mailer. Cheaper on the production end, and maybe we end up with a more unique figure if they can forget about packing, the extra shipping it creates, etc.

On a really positive note, I had my first experience with Hasbro customer service today. I decided to open a 2nd giant AT-AT, and lo and behold it is missing a foot! I checked online to see if anyone even carried these anymore, and while TRU shows them in the system, they are store pick up only, and none in the 50 miles it lets you search had them.

I spoke with a Jackie on the phone at customer service (1-800-255-5516), and the foot is on its' way tomorrow. I really didn't expect it to be that easy!

Now to go open the other one buried in storage. I was going to leave it sealed, but it is more imporatant to me that it be complete.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2012, 05:06 PM »
Missing a foot?  Yikes.  I think I'm going to open my sealed one now too...
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today