Author Topic: New Clone Wars quality  (Read 7388 times)

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
New Clone Wars quality
« on: February 8, 2012, 04:08 PM »
I picked up a phase II Clone and compared to the phase I clone its lacking.  The plastic seems much cheaper and it has nearly nothing in the way of articulation compared to its counterpart. 
anyone else notice?

md
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: New Clone Wars quality
« Reply #1 on: February 8, 2012, 07:29 PM »
The only figure I picked up was Commander Cody because he doesn't look toooo CW-ish.  The quality didn't strike me as bad on that figure, but I don't have the phase II clone.  The ones I saw on the pegs though did all have very bad paintjobs on the helmets.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: February 8, 2012, 09:18 PM »
I'd heard, but not really paid it much attention, that the new Clone Wars figures are getting a pretty big downgrade in quality...  articulation is cut back a bit, and I'm hearing plastic quality issues too. 

I hadn't really noticed it but now I feel compelled to at least look harder.  That's a shame if it's true...  More corners cut.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 8, 2012, 11:19 PM »
The line is so lackluster this year, I don't anticipate buying any doubles of anything for opening outside of Cyborg Maul, and maybe Scuba Gear Ahsoka. So it will probably be awhile before I will be able to judge the quality of anything new...
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 11:43 PM »
The line is so lackluster this year, I don't anticipate buying any doubles of anything for opening outside of Cyborg Maul, and maybe Scuba Gear Ahsoka. So it will probably be awhile before I will be able to judge the quality of anything new...

Get ready for the continued success of crap quality and few desirables from the TCW line for the next 6 years while the 3D movies are released... Just as the TCW show was getting better, too...
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 08:59 AM »
Really, as I see it, Clone Wars is ramping up to its endgame anyway. Did we see this as a 10-year show? They've moved into the Phase II armor. I think we're looking as 2-3 more seasons and that it'll end before or after Episode III hits theaters.
Let's be honest, the real thing the show must do now that it's made us care about them is resolve the fates of Ahsoka and Rex. I, personally, really want a killer Kashyyyk invasion/battle arc with some serious Yoda time. I still think the show's best episode was the first with Yoda. Disappointed he's not gotten another solo story since. I'm hopeful a Kashyyyk arc could be the cure.
Anyway, either they lead right up with a retelling the Palpatine's abduction or they end before it. They could either resolve Ahsoka and Rex before or leave it out there to be included in the Episode III 3D release as a draw. You know George will add knew footage to the films in 3D.
I haven't seen Episode I in 3D yet. Is there anything "new?"
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 10:27 PM »
"New" as compared to the original theatrical release, yes...there are a couple of deleted scenes from the DVD's woven in, but nothing we haven't seen before in some shape or form.

As for the show, 10 years does seem like a stretch, but they could go 7-8 easily without running into ROTS, I think. I'm sure Filoni has some sort of endgame plotted out already.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 02:02 AM »
I think we're looking as 2-3 more seasons and that it'll end before or after Episode III hits theaters.

You know, I never really thought about this before, but I can actually see this happening. It makes sense.

Anyone wanna bet that good 'ol George will digitally add in Ahsoka getting shot in the back in the Jedi Temple assault scene, right before Anakin goes killing some little kids?
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 01:13 PM »
We're in Season 4 now and I thought they said the show will have five seasons total - so next year would be the last.

I could see them keeping the toy line running all the way until the 2014 re-launch in whatever packaging they choose for EP3.

From that point on, they'll have just two lines - Movie Heroes and Vintage.

(Fingers crossed that they keep Vintage going, I could see them reducing the line to just Movie Heroes, injecting only a handful of new figures each year.)

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 02:31 PM »
I guess I haven't picked up a CW figure in awhile now, but I didn't know that there was a reduction in quality.  If that is true, it really is too bad.  I was rearranging some shelves in the display case this week, and was going through the CW figures I have - they really have had a great run there so far, despite the recent troubles with finding figures (or them even releasing figures).  It does sort of seem like it is ramping up towards the endgame a bit, but it is hard to tell.  I could see another 2 seasons for sure, beyond that who knows.  I do like the idea of fewer lines at retail, but I don't mean that someone's favorites need to be axed either.  I do wonder if, eventually, we're headed for the scenario Pete_Fett mentioned, where we have one line with just a few new figures per year.  I mean, Hasbro has built up a pretty nice library of ultimate main characters and army builders at this point - and I could see re-releasing those (similar to in the vintage line days), but that could lead to other problems too I guess.  That's discussion for the whole "future of the line" topic I guess.

Offline MasterFisto

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 08:24 AM »
The plastic seems much cheaper and it has nearly nothing in the way of articulation compared to its counterpart. 
anyone else notice?

I now have two of these troopers in my collection, and I cannot say that I have noticed a difference in the quality of the plastic.  Of course, if you are comparing it to the phase 1 trooper (which first came out in 2008), the newer figure lacks ankle joints, and possibly a waist joint.  But the plastic?  No, I can't tell a difference. 

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 01:41 PM »
The plastic seems much cheaper and it has nearly nothing in the way of articulation compared to its counterpart. 
anyone else notice?

I now have two of these troopers in my collection, and I cannot say that I have noticed a difference in the quality of the plastic.  Of course, if you are comparing it to the phase 1 trooper (which first came out in 2008), the newer figure lacks ankle joints, and possibly a waist joint.  But the plastic?  No, I can't tell a difference.

OK.

md
I Dream of Yumbos...