Author Topic: George Lucas: "Han Never Shot First"  (Read 3270 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
George Lucas: "Han Never Shot First"
« on: February 9, 2012, 05:58 PM »
Ok, he's just trying to irritate fans now, right? :)

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=54411

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: George Lucas: "Han Never Shot First"
« Reply #1 on: February 9, 2012, 07:46 PM »
That's funny and lame on many levels...

Lame that he even addresses it.  Lame that he actually would lie about it.  Lame that fans get to him that much.  Lame that he can't just put the original edits of the films out in HD for everyone to enjoy and not bitch at him over it.

Just lame.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 09:22 AM »
I wonder if it is the fans or the media amplifying the complaints of a minority of fans that bug him. I mean who the hell still yells about JarJar?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 09:31 AM »
If you really watch that scene...the SFX kind of just show an explosion.  Not trying to be an apologist in any means but maybe in his mind that really is what he intended.

That said, you watch the scene and you really can't come to any other conclusion that he fried him (with the accompanying Jabba Dialogue in the next scene)

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 09:49 PM »
Well, the script (that he wrote) just says that Han fires and kills him.  Doesn't say anything about Greedo shooting.

It's a bit funny that Lucas would even think of something being wrong, or immoral with Han shooting first.  After all, greedo pulled a gun on him, pointed it in his face, and said he was going to kill him.  (Over my dead body.  "That's the idea.")  So Han shooting first was self-defense/justifiable homicide here on Earth.  No way it could be seen any worse on a largely lawless gangster-dominated outpost like Tatooine.

Also, how is what Han did different than what Obi-Wan did a few minuted before?  Evason told Luke he was going to kill him (I'll be careful. "You'll be dead!"), then pulled a gun and pointed it at Obi-Wan (but didn't shoot), and Obi-Wan killed him and his bud.  Can anyone explain why that is okay, but the Han thing is not?

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 11:05 AM »
Well, the script (that he wrote) just says that Han fires and kills him.  Doesn't say anything about Greedo shooting.

It's a bit funny that Lucas would even think of something being wrong, or immoral with Han shooting first.  After all, greedo pulled a gun on him, pointed it in his face, and said he was going to kill him.  (Over my dead body.  "That's the idea.")  So Han shooting first was self-defense/justifiable homicide here on Earth.  No way it could be seen any worse on a largely lawless gangster-dominated outpost like Tatooine.

Also, how is what Han did different than what Obi-Wan did a few minuted before?  Evason told Luke he was going to kill him (I'll be careful. "You'll be dead!"), then pulled a gun and pointed it at Obi-Wan (but didn't shoot), and Obi-Wan killed him and his bud.  Can anyone explain why that is okay, but the Han thing is not?

Wow.  Great point!  I have no beef with most of the 1997/2004/2011 changes, but this is one of the changes I don't agree with.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 02:55 PM »
Considering han's fairly casual stroll out of the bar after Greedo's death, I think Han's kind of maybe known to have shot people from time to time...  Plus it's a world where everyone walks around with a gun on their hip.  I don't think I'd have approached him without my gun drawn either, if collecting a debt.

To that end though, Greedo's just taking Han to Jabba...  Han's the one who sort of initiates the threat that, if they want the ship, it's over his dead body...  Whether it was over Han's dead body was up to Jabba, but it's over a debt regardless, so I still maintain that Han shooting first is kind of a murder.  He owed money, didn't want to pay, and didn't want to face who he owed, so that person sent out people to get him to explain himself.  He killed one of them.

Again though, I think it's the world they live in that needs some consideration...  It's sort of lawless in that regard.  Everyone with a gun on and out, and I doubt Han's credit rating was taking a hit so you either let people steal from you or you physically go get them to settle the matter...  *shrugs*  It's a pretty fine line.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 02:55 PM »

My thinking is (not that I agree with the change) we already know what a blaster can do (Blockade Runner), but at that point had yet to see what a lightsaber can do.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 5, 2012, 12:06 PM »
A couple of days ago, I was watching the 1987 VHS version of Star Wars and noticed we never see a laser bolt leave either Greedo's or Han's gun. We see a shot of the camera facing Han. There is a bang and smoke raises in front of Han. Next shot is Greedo falls over. The question should be why did Lucas dumb down the shot to force feed us the idea of who shot first? Why do we need to see the laser bounce around? Isn't it obvious what happen?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours