Author Topic: LOTR LEGO  (Read 50275 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: LOTR LEGO
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2012, 08:55 PM »
BTW Shelob, on sale at K-Mart for $16.99 which helps make that an easier purchase.  Good set since it's all, kinda, mini-figure.  From a certain point of view anyway.  :P
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2012, 11:55 AM »
2013 LOTR sets

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37049087@N02/8312560790/in/set-72157632347188995/

Saruman! Gandalf the White! Corsair Ship! Eagle!

And I can't tell 100%, but I think that's Mouth of Sauron in the Black Gate set.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2012, 01:47 PM »
I agree Mikey...it sure looks like it

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2012, 09:49 PM »
*gasp*

Oh my.

I'm getting Orc Forge and Moria asap.

I'm so, so, so geeked at those sets.  I went nerding on Hobbit Lego's all holiday.  Great times.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 09:50 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2012, 02:49 AM »
I just picked up the Shelob set at Walmart today and put it together.  I really like Shelob, I think it's a pretty cool build but I have a question; does anyone know what the light grey axle and wheels are for on the bottom?

They seem entirely random.  I thought they might be there for later in the build, something to do with the "web" but there's nothing in the instructions about that so, unless I imagine some usage, I just don't get it.  I took them off.  Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Anyway, I braved the snow today and hit up a WM in the next town over.  Found the Shelob set for $13 and picked up the Mines of Moria set for $54.  They also had Weathertop on sale but I think it was $40 and that didn't seem like as good of a deal.  They didn't have Helm's Deep and I don't think they had the add-on Uruk-hai Army set either.  They did have Gandalf Arrives but I don't think it was on sale.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2012, 06:07 PM »
The axel an stuff is for retracting the string isn't it?  I didn't put the string on mine as I didn't want it but I thought that was the purpose... To wind it up.  Moria is my next goal.  Then Orc forge.  Must haves!

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2012, 08:03 PM »
When  you build Shelob, she has the large "bulb" on the back end and the string goes inside that on a spool.  The rod that goes through the spool extends through the bottom and there's a Technix gear on the bottom that you use to wind/unwind the string.

But on the bottom of the main body, not part of the bulb, is a light grey 2x2 axle with wheels on each end that doesn't connect to the mechanism for winding/unwinding the string.  It seems like it could be of some use w/ the string, but nothing in the instructions shows this and none of the play pattern shown really addresses it either.  So, it kind of becomes a useless piece and, like I said, kind of random.

I guess you could come up with something to use it for, with the string somehow, but it just seems like an odd addition.

And one other thing, did anyone else end up with a lot of extra pieces on this set?  I had a lot more than usual, I had 3 Rings, 2 Stings, an extra arm for Gollum and some other random pieces.  It was a lot of stuff.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2012, 08:40 PM »
I had a lot of extras from that set too.  I appreciate all the swords they give you tho and now those little tools in the big sets!  Wow those r great!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 3, 2013, 12:47 PM »
We haven't picked up the Shelob set yet (but hope to soon), but my daughter and I have been going through the LEGO site and looking at the various sets and videos.  In the LOTR section, if you watch the video for the Shelob set, the designer explains that the wheels were put on there because they found that when kids were playing with that set, they tended to just "shove" Shelob flat to the ground (instead of up on the legs), and they thought they would add those wheels on for when kids would slide her back and forth, instead of having constant scraping.  Anyways, that's what the video said, so maybe that helps to explain it.

I'm hoping to be able to pick some of these sets up sometime soon.  We got some of the Hobbit sets for Christmas, and those are great as well, but I'd really like to dig into more of the LOTR ones (we just have the Gandalf arrives set).  Despite only seeing the "good guy" parts of the LOTR movies, and the trailer for the Hobbit (no Orcs/Goblins for our little one), our daughter has been obsessed with all things Middle Earth lately, and the LEGOs have really taken the top spot as far as that stuff goes.  Hope to pick up the Shelob set this weekend if we can find it (a lot of our stores are pretty bare for LEGO stuff since Christmas), and if I had the money, it would be nice to get the Mines of Moria set.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 4, 2013, 11:15 PM »
That's an interesting idea on Shelob, makes sense to me.  Good thing is that it's easy to take off and doesn't hurt the overall design one way or the other.  I think that's cool that they explained the reasoning for it though.

E...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #70 on: January 9, 2013, 02:34 AM »
Watched ROTK tonight...  I can't wait for more sets.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 4, 2013, 08:53 PM »
Just curious, has anyone here picked up the Mines of Moria set?  I know they are pretty much dried up from retail (at least around here), but I've been thinking about ordering one from Amazon since I have a $50 gift card from Christmas I could use towards it.  I wish I would have pulled the trigger this weekend when I saw it was down to $66 or so there, but it has since sold out (from Amazon itself) and is now listed from other sellers for closer to $80 or more (and TRU.com has it for that price too).  Is it worth $80, or would I be better off spending my money elsewhere?  My daughter has been loving LOTR/Hobbit stuff recently, and living it basically strictly through LEGO form since the movies are a little too intense, so she's been wanting this set (as have I) to work towards finishing the Fellowship.  Anyways, just curious if anyone here has gotten this set, and if it was worth spending $80 or more for.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2013, 03:56 PM »
Anyone have a decent link to the new Lego Hobbit/LOTR stuff or was there not much?  I didn't see much from the show on this.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2013, 04:17 PM »
Thanks Mike.  :)