Author Topic: LOTR LEGO  (Read 50170 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: LOTR LEGO
« Reply #105 on: September 17, 2013, 09:29 PM »
I had $10 off at K-Mart in Rewards points expiring soon, so I bought Council of Elrond tonight Scott...  it is awesome for display.  I just wish I had extra Boromir, Legolas, a couple elf guards, and Aragorn (and maybe a couple of the extra people/dwarves/elves that were there) to slip around the display for fun.  I'd have appreciated Boromir a lot, but I figure he's gonna show up in some Merry/Pippin/Boromir/Lurtz set with ruins.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #106 on: December 2, 2013, 01:00 PM »
Rumored 2014 Sets

The Mirror of Galadriel: A set with Frod and Galadriel.

Amon Hen Ambush: Includes 2 x Uruk-Hai , and Boronir, Hobbit could be Merry.

The Defence of Osgiliath: Includes 2 x Orcs, 1 x Gondor Soldier, and what could be a Ranger.

Witch King Showdown: Includes the Witch King Theoden, a Rider of Rohan (Eowyn?), a white horse and a Nazgul.

The Battle of Minas Tirith: The big set wave with Gandalf, 2 x Gondor Soldiers , 4 x Orcs, a Troll and a hobbit (Pippin?).

Read more: http://www.thebricknews.com/lego-lord-rings-2014-sets-preview/#ixzz2mLFLVcXs

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #107 on: December 2, 2013, 01:01 PM »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #108 on: December 3, 2013, 12:22 AM »
I missed.  :'(

I need this and the Black Gate, and Saruman's bachelor pad.

I keep hoping I can get Orthanc for a little less than the steep $200.  :-\  It's THE set I wish would drop a bit in price so I could scoop it up.
« Last Edit: December 3, 2013, 12:34 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 3, 2013, 11:10 AM »
I keep hoping I can get Orthanc for a little less than the steep $200.  :-\  It's THE set I wish would drop a bit in price so I could scoop it up.

I don't think you're going to see any of the larger "hard to find" sets on sale...LEGO put a stop to that at their stores and online a few months ago but not sure how they enforce that with other etailers - but I've not seen a sale on any of them anywhere since then.

I believe you can still use your VIP card - and nothing wrong with free shipping and no tax from Amazon (while it may or may not last)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #110 on: December 3, 2013, 08:35 PM »
Amazon has tax in states with distribution centers (PA being one), though free shipping is nice...  But Lego seems to have free shipping fairly often.  No VIP points since I don't order off them and no Lego stores here.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 4, 2013, 10:52 AM »
I think Lego offers free shipping on anything over $75 pretty much all the time now.  Some of these larger sets, and the ones that are Lego exclusives, don't get discounted very often and usually not when they're brand new like the Tower or the new Ewok village.  But if they're around for a while you might see a discount.

What can end up as a better deal is if you're a VIP member you can pick sets like this up and during their specials get double or even triple VIP rewards points which then lets you save money later.  Two weeks ago on Saturday they did a 1 day triple VIP offering so I ordered the Rancor set and a couple polybags.  There was tax on the order but they were also doing a free shipping promo (I didn't hit $75 but they may have lowered it to a $50 threshold during that offer) so I didn't pay any more than I would have at retail.  Plus, the 221 VIP points will get me a decent $10 discount later on.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #112 on: December 4, 2013, 02:32 PM »
Yeah I've never ordered off them...  I signed up for the VIP thing, but don't even recall my log in information.  I will have Orthanc, one way or another.  It will be mine...  Just not anytime soon.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 5, 2014, 07:50 PM »
So I decided to take the plunge into the LOTR & Hobbit Lego sets this weekend. From the LOTR line I picked up:

Attack on Weather Top - was shocked to find this actually, it was sitting by itself at my local Kmart - turned out to be marked for clearance and I ended up getting it for only $35 - might have been a return or something...

Battle at the Black Gate - just finished putting this together, love the scene in Return of the King that it's from, the helmet of the Mouth of Sauron is really detailed.

The Wizard Battle - picked this up "just because" - I do plan on getting the Tower at Orthanc at some point, just just like Jesse says, just not anytime soon.

So for the next couple of months, I'm going to focus on scouring stores and online for deals on the 2012 sets. I know the Battle at Helms Deep or Uruk-Hai Army sets are probably going to be the tough ones to track down. I'm pretty sure sets like Gandalf Arrives and Shelob Attacks are both still sitting at the TRU near my work, same with Mines of Moria so I'll probably pick those up next. Should be fun getting caught up with this line....
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #114 on: January 8, 2014, 08:29 AM »
Cashed in Amazon Rewards and XMas gift cards and pulled the trigger on Orthanc this morning.  I am officially caught up on LOTR LEGO now, hopefully we get some more sets in Fall 2014.  I really really really want Minas Tirith and Edoras.  I'd also dig a matching Tower of Sauron

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 8, 2014, 09:57 AM »
I picked up the Battle at Helms Deep set from the Toys R Us near where I work. Through the 11th of January they are running a special where you get $15 off any Lego purchase of $60 or more - the shelf tag for the set was $139.99 which if you take $15 off takes it down to $125.99 - which isn't great, but it's $4 off the original MSRP price of $129.99 - and certainly much better than paying eBay/Amazon Vendor mark-up for it.

The great part was when I went to check out, the register rang it up for $149.99 and I went and grabbed the shelf tag and made them give it to me for the $139.99 price, so thanks to the shelf tag error, I was able to get it for $25 off of TRU's over-inflated price....

I also picked up Shelob Attacks.

So from the 2012 sets I still need: Gandalf Arrives, Uruk-Hai Army, Mines of Moria and the Orc Forge. The Mines of Moria set is also at my local TRU - but for $99.99 which is $20 over MSRP. It's also on TRU.com and Target.com for that price - so I might just bite the bullet and get it before the $15 off deal expires at TRU, which again, is better than paying eBay/Amazon mark-up.

The other three sets and the polybag figures are going to be pretty painful I think...
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #116 on: January 8, 2014, 11:09 PM »
Orc Forge is gonna be a bear for you I think, and Uruk Hai Army would be tough too since that set is really the army builder of its year more or less.

Gandalf's arrival, eh, if you're doing this for completism, otherwise I'd pass.

Shelob was a favorite of mine because it makes me dream of a Kit Balrog, a Kit Smaug, and so forth.  Kit Nazgul anyone? :P

I can't see Smaug or a Balrog as a specialty figure thing.  Kit Ents will be nice when they're mainstreamed too.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 9, 2014, 12:59 AM »
Orc Forge is gonna be a bear for you I think, and Uruk Hai Army would be tough too since that set is really the army builder of its year more or less.

Yeah - those two are gonna be the worst I think too - but since I have been able to pick up all of the other sets so far at or less than MSRP and since I'm jumping into a line that started two years ago, paying mark-up on two of the sets isn't that bad. I have thought about calling around to the two Lego stores in town and seeing if either of them have the set still in stock - while it's a long shot, anything is possible.

There seem to be plenty of eBay vendors selling Gandalf Arrives at or just a few dollars more than MSRP - so that one shouldn't be bad at all - mini-fig-wise though, both of the figures in the set were in other sets so that one is probably lowest on my priority list.
Peter

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #118 on: January 9, 2014, 02:03 AM »
Yeah his fireworks and the letter are nice, but meh.

I love the Orc Forge, and it really ultimately goes as a complement to Orthanc, so while it'll be a pain, I think you'll dig it.  It's one of my faves.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 13, 2014, 12:42 AM »
I love the Orc Forge, and it really ultimately goes as a complement to Orthanc, so while it'll be a pain, I think you'll dig it.  It's one of my faves.

Yeah - I've decided that it will be the next set I pick up - most likely off of eBay.

Peter