Author Topic: The Future of the Clone Wars Toy Line?  (Read 51200 times)

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of the Clone Wars Toy Line?
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2012, 07:56 AM »
The only thing I know is that they've been available from that same seller for well over a year now. There's red striped ones, too. Did those see retail release? I remember hearing talk of bootleg troopers (as opposed to factory extras or whatever), but the seller's other stuff looks like actual production items.

I've never bought anything from that seller.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2012, 02:53 PM »
Dropship...keep forgetting they made it.

I watched some stop motion video on youtube some kid made recently, there was the dropship! I've never seen one, how'd this kid get it?

Can you post a link to that video? I am trying to research these "mystery clones" and it's proving to be quite the rabbithole...any help would be appreciated, thanks!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2012, 09:39 PM »
Clones in this one
http://youtu.be/toxUqw1F5pc

Dropship in this one
http://youtu.be/wtLDtODW-bM

Looking at his profile, he's in Australia...maybe that explains the dropship.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2012, 09:17 PM »
Reading through Hasbro's answers in JTA's Q and A, it really sounds like "this ain't for you guys" with the Clone Wars line anymore.  They mention that it is for kids, will focus on main characters, articulation frightens and confuses young children, and that collectors should look at the realistic versions being added to the Vintage/Legacy/etc. lines.  I really get the vibe that they are basically just waiting for the show to end so they can axe the line for good.  I really like the realistic versions being started now, so I'm all for that, but I wish we could see some of those other characters hit the animated side before things are all done (Dengar, new Boba, Krell, etc.)

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2012, 10:56 PM »
Will a standard (non-red-painted) Scuba Trooper be released individually like with the Aqua Droid?

No.

Are we ever going to get Fives (or Echo) in his ARC trooper armor?

It's unlikely.

It's over, if obvious clone repaints, even ones of recurring characters, are out of the question. Could've been stuck in a battle pack at any time...I'd think. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2012, 03:47 AM »
I posted the following in another thread but it goes here too...

I can appreciate collectors hanging in even with 5POA figures...  I just hope prices reflect the drop in quality for the sake of those collecting it.  $10 would sting for a statue.  At least there's hope that it's not being canned, for the animated fans.

I honestly figured it was on its way out...  I do think they're trying to wean collectors off animated though, and into realistic only, and using the animated line as something of a sales booster for the stuff the majority of the adult share wants to buy...  Which is good for the majority, but sucks for the adults into animated stuff.

And kids don't care I guess...  I disagree, I think it's a little bit of ignoring your own history as an organization, but I also think it's probably true for younger kids...  I think anything 5/6 and up though, and I'm sort of in disagreement on articulation being "frustrating".  I just figure it's easier than saying it's cheaper.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Spirit of MAC

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2012, 04:27 AM »
With those rumblings from Hasbro out of C6, it sounds like the CW series may not even make it all the way through this upcoming season, which would mean the nearing of the end of this line.  While I'm sure there's plenty of CW and animated figure fans that will be bummed to have that happen, personally, I'm excited at the prospect of one less sub-line of figures to chase down - especially when we've been told their quality will be diminishing, and on top of the obvious fact that they can't even currently be found at retail.  One less headache for me, and hopefully the eventual demise of this line will help Hasbro to re-focus their efforts on the regular movie line(s), as it's obvious they've been spreading their resources and planning a little too thin of late.

Granted, I still wish they'd go back and wrap up the handful of remaining figures from the prior Gendy Tarkovsky (sp?) Clone Wars micro series.  That one just seemed a lot more simple and fun to me.  I already know the answer to that request though.
Softgoods suck.  Almost as much as the Prequels.

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2012, 09:59 AM »
I would like to know what you heard, because what I have read gives us roughly the same amount of figures as last year, 19. I am hoping after the "the 3D movies will sell billions of figures" bonehead idea is re-worked, it may green light more of the clone wars figures they had previously designed.

Offline MasterFisto

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2012, 02:32 PM »
After reading the Q&As from CVI, and listening to Curto's podcast with DePriest, I think I now see what Hasbro is planning for The Clone Wars line.  In essence, they are producing for children (not news to us).  But the reality of this is really setting in for me.  Less articulation makes sturdier toys for little hands; and we are told that kids are really only interested in core characters.  So, The Clone Wars line proper will be a kid's brand.  As a collector, I'd be boneheaded to keep expecting to see collector-favorites from this line, despite how much I would love to see Krell and Di.  Barring some kickass surprises, it's just not going to happen.  I'm going to start looking to the realistic line if I want to see cool characters from this spectacular animated show.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2012, 03:52 PM »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediMoses

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2012, 12:34 AM »
With those rumblings from Hasbro out of C6, it sounds like the CW series may not even make it all the way through this upcoming season, which would mean the nearing of the end of this line.  While I'm sure there's plenty of CW and animated figure fans that will be bummed to have that happen, personally, I'm excited at the prospect of one less sub-line of figures to chase down - especially when we've been told their quality will be diminishing, and on top of the obvious fact that they can't even currently be found at retail.  One less headache for me, and hopefully the eventual demise of this line will help Hasbro to re-focus their efforts on the regular movie line(s), as it's obvious they've been spreading their resources and planning a little too thin of late.

Granted, I still wish they'd go back and wrap up the handful of remaining figures from the prior Gendy Tarkovsky (sp?) Clone Wars micro series.  That one just seemed a lot more simple and fun to me.  I already know the answer to that request though.

So I am a bit of an optimist when it comes to the show.  I have read lots of speculation about the death of the show, but I cannot find hard evidence to support those assertions.  I listened to Filoni speak about the show 3 times and this is not a man who's job is finished.  Season 5 is essentially done and I imagine they are well into mapping out Season 6. Some of the images they showed us were 18 months old.  Filoni also mentioned a number of storylines that will develop in future years.  Of course, CN could cancel it and CW could come to an end, but I do not want to be fatalistic about it.  I think things are more positive than many believe. 

Would be nice to have solid info though either way.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2012, 02:22 AM »
  I really get the vibe that they are basically just waiting for the show to end so they can axe the line for good.

It's funny, I also got that impression that they're essentially just waiting on relentlessly for the show to end. They've already made clear that the line will transition over to the realistic style. Honestly I love the realistic figures we're getting soon, and it'll bring something fresh to the table to keep the realistic line going on without getting stale in character choices. Think about, all the new characters from TCW that we can finally have now. I wouldn't be surprised if we even get a Duchess Satine waaaaay down the line.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2012, 08:30 AM »
why is it that it seems to me that the single carded Maul looks way better than the BP Maul?

BP Maul

Single

It just looks more realistic, especially in the face.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2012, 09:09 AM »
It's funny, I also got that impression that they're essentially just waiting on relentlessly for the show to end. They've already made clear that the line will transition over to the realistic style. Honestly I love the realistic figures we're getting soon, and it'll bring something fresh to the table to keep the realistic line going on without getting stale in character choices. Think about, all the new characters from TCW that we can finally have now. I wouldn't be surprised if we even get a Duchess Satine waaaaay down the line.

The problem with that is, it won't look anything LIKE the actual character from the show. You can't render a 3D animated image into a realistic style without losing the unique qualities of that original image. And whoever sculpts heads for Hasbro really struggles with female likenesses IMO. So we'd end up with some cruddy looking thing that is like the BP Talzin figure, not really animated and not really realistic either, but a crude mash-up that ends up bearing little resemblance to the source material.

Well, that is just my opinion anyway. I know there is love out there for the realistic cartoon stuff but I can't help but regard them as atrocious.

I think it would be hilarious if the show somehow had a HUGE surge in popularity and ended up running several more seasons, and kids even started buying the figures again. Then they'd pretty much HAVE to commit more resources to it, begrudgingly or not.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2012, 10:40 AM »
So I am a bit of an optimist when it comes to the show.  I have read lots of speculation about the death of the show, but I cannot find hard evidence to support those assertions.  I listened to Filoni speak about the show 3 times and this is not a man who's job is finished.  Season 5 is essentially done and I imagine they are well into mapping out Season 6. Some of the images they showed us were 18 months old.  Filoni also mentioned a number of storylines that will develop in future years.  Of course, CN could cancel it and CW could come to an end, but I do not want to be fatalistic about it.  I think things are more positive than many believe. 

Would be nice to have solid info though either way.

I really don't think TCW is in any danger of going away at this point, because the people financing the show (George Lucas and Lucasfilm) have made it clear that shows are going to be produced regardless of ratings or outlet availability until they reach a point that, creatively-speaking, it is time for the show to end.  Everyone involved with the show from a production end, from Dave Filoni to the writers to the cast to GL himself, still seem excited about the show, the stories, and the characters, so its not like a lack of enthusiasm on the part of the crew is an issue.  Also, while 9:30 PM on Saturday nights might be the "death slot" for network television programs, 9:30 AM on a Saturday morning is (unless my childhood is to be disregarded) a pretty prime-time slot for kids' cartoon viewing, but I continue to watch the show online the following day due to Comcast being money-hungry monopolizing morons anyway, so time slots are irrelevant to my viewing habits anyway.

That said, I really don't know where all the doom-and-gloom in terms of ratings is coming from.  From what I can tell, fan reaction to the last season was overwhelmingly positive, and IMO, the show just keeps getting better and better from a story perspective (not to mention the animation itself, which looks amazing these days).  Even people who loathed the prequels (Simon Pegg, for example) seem to be really big fans of the show.  I hear "declining ratings" mentioned by people but I have yet to see any actual evidence to support their claims that "OMG THE SHOW IS DEAD!"

As for figures, I think the main problem I have is that they did a separate animated line (which I have collected from day one) to begin with.  While I do not have the negative view of the "realistic" versions that some do (I'm actually really excited to get some of the characters in realistic form; I'm hoping that Pre Viszla is on that short list), I am disappointed to see the animated line descend into seemingly 1990s Batman territory with endless versions of main characters, countless repaints, and a almost total lack of background characters and/or villains for said heroes to fight.  It certainly looks like Hasbro is doing everything they can to make the line fail in one way or another so they can move on to something else.

All this being said, three concurrent action figure lines for Star Wars is, and has always been, way too much product and confusion.  I've said it a million times, but stores see all three lines (even vintage) as one thing and as long as there is Star Wars on the pegs, either 20 Saga Legends/Movies Heroes Super Battle Droids, 20 Clone Wars Anakins and Obi-Wans, or 20 Vintage Qui-Gons, they're not going to get/order more.