Author Topic: 2012 Movie Heroes Battle Packs  (Read 45965 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Movie Heroes Battle Packs
« Reply #60 on: March 2, 2012, 10:35 PM »
I'm actually very into Vintage, I just haven't been buying for a while due to modern getting my focus.  My Vinty collection is pretty decent though and was there long before I bought modern. 

To me, if I wanted nostalgia, I bought ACTUAL vintage figures.  They're not that costly to get into, at least loose, and I dig them for their simplicity.

But this is 2012...  If I want simple figures, I'll buy them since they're readily available.  That's my stance.

And as a Vinty collector, I'd never, ever, remotely consider these new things something even close to the originals.  The only thing they've ever made that I consider displaying with the original figures is the Rocket Fett we got last year.  I don't have the cashola for an original and never would try, but I'll put the new one as sort of a bridge between them.  If Hasbro did (and they cost a low price) figures in the actual Vintage style that had never been done for the original Vintage line but should have been, I'd be interested.  PT characters in the vintage style?  Hell no.  Modern/detailed sculpts but simplistic in articulation, design, and features?  Hell no.

The only way they'd get me with the 5-6 (and really I'd want just 5 POA on these) POA thing is if they did figures like a truly retro looking Tarkin, Fleet Trooper, Antilles, Grey Imperial Officer, Slave Leia, Wedge, Han Stormtrooper.  I don't even know that I really am that into those, but if they made them and they were $5 or less, I'd be at least interested.  Especially if they had Vinty cardbacks complete with the back of the card featuring all the old figures on it.

Modern sculpt figures with 5 or 6 POA just look like a POS to me.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #61 on: March 3, 2012, 08:45 AM »
Well, I dig the vintage feel of these.
« Last Edit: March 4, 2012, 09:59 AM by Captain Piet »
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 3, 2012, 03:00 PM »
To me - these six figures look like they were trying to develop figures that could be sold at the $5 or less stores. And when those plans fells through they were like "what the hell are we going to do with those crappy sculpts?" and DeRetard said "put 'em in a battle pack, and I'll keep reminding the collectors those sets aren't aimed at them."

Keep making super poor decisions Hasbro - at this rate, I think the ONLY thing keeping collectors around is the Vintage line - you drop that and this line is DONE.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 5, 2012, 09:03 PM »
I can totally understand the point of the tooling dollars being wasted here, and wondering what they are doing with such superior versions of these characters already available (and could have just been repacked).  I'm not sure if I'll pick these up or not, but in some ways I don't mind them.  First of all, they're not necessarily for us as we all have very nice versions of these characters already.  The more pressing problem is seeing CW shrunk to basically nothing while stuff like this gets made, I can see that being frustrating.  I know after seeing last week's bounty hunter-centric episode, I'd much rather see a mess of figures from something like that than tooling dollars dedicated to these BPs.

On the other hand, I don't know if I'd mind figures being done this way in place of most of what is currently there for movie heroes.  If they're just going to repack '99 or action feature extreme posed past figures, I would almost rather we had these more simple figures for a much lower price.  Granted, I'm not buying Movie Heroes anyways, but if they're aiming that line at kids I could see that.  I will say, after seeing TPM in 3D last month, our daughter has really gotten into Star Wars.  She wanted to watch the OT, so we've started into that a bit now, and she is always wanting to play SW.  I gave her a slew of figures, and actually sitting down and "playing" with SW toys shows me how frustrating some can be.  Some have said it before on there, but it is so appreciated when figures are sturdy - meaning they can stand, hold up to play, sit in vehicles, and hold onto their weapons.  That is something that I can't remember ever having problems with as a kid with the vintage figures, and if they returned to this sort of thing for the kids' line, I don't know if I'd mind.  Granted, I've also found several figures we've been playing with (the most recent TVC Bespin Han and Luke are good examples) that are able to cover all those bases and still have the sculpting and articulation we've grown accustomed to.  Anyways, sort of a different topic entirely, but I'm just saying as a parent I can appreciate having a sturdy toy that holds onto its accessories and can stand up without much trouble (and fit into vehicles).

The one larger question here is there any chance that we'd see something like these BP figures carry over to the main line eventually?  I don't see it right away, but I do wonder if they are testing the waters here or not.  Otherwise it seems strange to tool up all new figures when they have several versions of all these characters they could use for these BPs (both good versions and bad).  I wonder, if in the attempt to cut costs, this is a direction they would want to go in the future.  We've heard the rumors of the Vintage Collection going "on hiatus" after this year, I wonder if they'll try this in the meantime?  Either way, it is a bit of a strange time with the SW line right now.

Offline Siths Herald

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sith Happens.
    • View Profile
    • The Minnesota Force
« Reply #64 on: March 5, 2012, 10:31 PM »
I keep hearing about how much more durable the figures will be. Did Hasbro figure a way to make figures resistant to firecrackers?

..or BB guns.  I never did find all the pieces to that Dengar back in '82 after he fell in the crosshairs.
The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 8, 2012, 11:04 AM »
Nice vintage look for esb duel, like Luke :), ressembles the very vintage first release. Vader from this pack is ideal to make a diorama, he is a bit more muscular than the average TVC basic body. I think collectors could use him to build the duel on potj Carbon Freeze Chamber. The Boba Fett spots longer light grey sleeves than ever on the shirt which hold his chest and stomach armor. Insist, like this tri pack for customize dioramas.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2012, 12:24 PM »
These kind of look like POTF2 figures and Vinty figures were smashed together at high speeds in the Large Hadron Collider.

I really think it's a cost-cutting ploy disguised as an attempt to capture a retro feel. Either way, not buying 'em. But I think the anger on the forums is more likely fear that these will become the norm, and I can completely understand that.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 1, 2012, 03:15 PM »
Packaged and new loose pics (not an April Fool's Day joke)
http://www.sandtroopers.com/sandwatch/hasbro/20120330/index.html

Yes, they really did  make Fett that big and Vader seems short...or maybe that's because Fett is too big.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2012, 01:55 AM »
Got some great loose shots of Bespin Luke courtesy of our friends at HobbyStockCN.

Clicky each image to check it out!

And look for these up soon!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2012, 07:34 AM »
That does look nice, but not the direction I think we need to go. 

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2012, 02:47 PM »
Who the heck is that? Hamill's stunt double?

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2012, 04:59 PM »
Looks like Fonzie in a blond wig.  ;D
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2012, 05:54 PM »
Looks almost like OT "Animated"

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2012, 09:43 AM »
Looks better than the movie heroes figures with action features. Also, a heck of a lot better than the good old POTF2 version. I would have been happy with figures sculpted like these back in the day.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2012, 10:54 AM »
Looks better than the movie heroes figures with action features. Also, a heck of a lot better than the good old POTF2 version. I would have been happy with figures sculpted like these back in the day.

Agreed.  I'd be perfectly happy if the Movie Heroes line was made up of figures like this, and the price was dropped (due to much less articulation, etc.).  They can even pack in their action feature happy guns/grapples/etc. for "the kids" if they want to, but if they had a line of these simplified figures, at a $5-6 price (or maybe at this point, $7 is more realistic), I think they'd do decent.  Already having what I consider an "ultimate" Bespin Luke, I don't mind seeing a release like this.