Author Topic: The Future of Star Wars Collecting?  (Read 236489 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of Star Wars Collecting?
« Reply #180 on: October 12, 2012, 08:08 AM »
I agree on the price bar reasoning, the other obvious fix would be distribution. I'll elaborate on this more once we get our traditional Best/Worst of the Year/Year in Review thread, but this year we saw prices increase with "distribution costs" as the excuse, yet there is only one store in my area that has actually been restocked. Most stores are clogged with Movie Heroes and the TPM Vintage wave. There's SO MUCH that never hit store shelves (Naboo Fighter anyone?) yet we're expected to pay even more for the stuff that's been on the pegs for a year now?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #181 on: October 12, 2012, 11:24 AM »
I have a feeling that it will be a subscription service...which will, quite possibly, blow.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #182 on: October 12, 2012, 01:43 PM »
Sticking with the future of collectng topics...

Ecnomics/prices:
Long term I think we're going to see a slow demise (If we haven't already) of the traditional brick and mortar stores in ALL categories, not just toy/toy collecting. I think for many reasons...mainly technology and I think the country is going to strugle for a bit becasue of it.  Collecting will slow a bi..for a sot while, prices will fall slightly across the board, and slowly after some years will begin to rise.   Distribution, the numbers game, production,etc. will all remain a struggle for some time.

Items/availability/trends:
Electronics, video games will continue to dominate and become even more prevalent, both leading to fewer companies producing "toys" and fewer companies producing non-electronic/tech rlated "toys" in the future.  Therefore the tradtional mediums we're used to now and in the past...action figures, comic boks, etc.will eventually become more collectible, and possibly a thing of the past to some degree (I don't think things like traditional toys like dolls, comics, board games, bikes, etc. will ever go completely away, but we'll see much less being produced.

Supply/demand:

I think as technology and population increases, the globalization of collectibles will also increase. Foriegn countries are becoming more predominant when it comes to collecting (look back jus 30 years ago or in the 70's...anyone buy/sell/trade with anyone in Germany or China ??  How many action figures were YOU sending to Denmark?)  Even once the internet and Ebay came about... in the beginning I didn't see too many folks from foregn countries at all, and NOTHING like I see today.  Lots of countries want what the western world has to offer.  When I was in college foriegn kids used to fill thier suitcases with Levi jeans... in some countries collectibles may not be as big now but I bet they wll be in the futue, an steadily grow.  Eventually I think this will dry up supply.  Vintage items will contine to rise, and probably skyrocket eventually, as the kids today get into the hobby as well things that ae moder TODAY wll also be hihly coveted.  New to us today will be old when the kids tday get older and into collecting.

It's a natura tendancy for u to want everythin and want it NOW.  Relax, look at the long term bi picture.

As the world changes...sports collectibles used to be the big hing when I as a kid..today techies love Star Wars...and what do we see more than ever TECHIES everywere you go. More jobs in the technology segment means more dollars to techies, more dollars to techies, IT departments, etc. mans more dollars for SW colectibles.

Yeah, I gotta say the future looks prett bright.  Pretty safe bet with SW these days.

Buy up...but be smart about it and don't forget to take care of your priorities... and try to have some fun.

Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 12, 2012, 06:14 PM »

I'm a hoth luke and Dr Evazan away from thinking I'm 99% done with the retail figure game.

The next step is to figure out what I really want to keep for future displays, what the kids/nephews/nieces might want to have someday, and the rest will slowly be put up for sale or away in storage for a decision at a later date.

It's been a fun run, and I'll probably hang around and pick up an item here and there. I don't harbor any bitterness toward Hasbro- my collecting was going to come to an end at some point no matter what. Now it is time to figure out which parts to keep, and which to send to someone elses collection-

I found that Luke and Evazan, and have picked up virtually nothing since. I've been letting some things go, and intend to pick up the pace of decumulating. But I will always have some sort of small collection devoted to George's galaxy.

For me the change is more about my age, my kids becoming teenagers, and other interests of my own- not any decision the big H makes. I'm sure i'm not the first to reach that point, and I won't be the last. I'm still shocked by how much time and money I'm saving. 

As I said this spring, no bitterness, it was a good time. And to everyone who is still enjoying it, I hope the line lasts a long-long time.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 06:14 PM by Dan »

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 12, 2012, 06:20 PM »
I understand, Dan.  I'm kind of that way myself, though from the past few weeks it doesn't feel that way.  Regardless, you can still come and hang out with the geeks when you can.  ;)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 12, 2012, 11:19 PM »
I actually like the slow down.  I've had more time to really enjoy the things that are coming out.  I'm psyched about the chance to start over with a brand new collectibles room as well.  Like a few others here, I've gone back to picking up some of the vintage holes in my collection and am loving every minute of it.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 15, 2012, 09:24 AM »
I actually like the slow down.  I've had more time to really enjoy the things that are coming out.  I'm psyched about the chance to start over with a brand new collectibles room as well.  Like a few others here, I've gone back to picking up some of the vintage holes in my collection and am loving every minute of it.

I am not actively looking like I was in years past, but occationally when somethign pops up, I'll jump on it.  I just snagged a vintage ESB At-At w/Box for $50.  The box was in excellent shape (unfortunately had one of the flaps cut off and taped back one, but they did a really good job.  At-At was a little beat on the edges, and legs discolored, and one of the side gusn looks like a dog got hold of it.  It's only missing the clear chin guns.  I have a minty vintage At-At just never had a box for it.  A local collector posted on Craigslist and I grabbed it this weekend!  Even with the flap being cut, it will diplay really nice on the shelf.

I'll probably sell the beat up one, or sell for parts...not sure yet.
Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline jono

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 31, 2012, 05:09 AM »
So Disney aquires LucasFilm!

Lets hope Hasbro don't suffer the same fate as Palisades did with their Muppets line.

Havn't they just re-newed the license for 2020?

Is it safe?

where's a dentisit when you need one? ;D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 05:38 AM by jono »

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 31, 2012, 09:20 AM »

There is one on the boards.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 31, 2012, 09:34 AM »
So Disney aquires LucasFilm!

Lets hope Hasbro don't suffer the same fate as Palisades did with their Muppets line.

Havn't they just re-newed the license for 2020?

Is it safe?

ugh, don't remind me...I was in the process of getting a job at Palisades when they went under. That was a great toy company. Their Adult Swim offerings are some of the best stuff ever.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 2, 2012, 03:35 PM »
I'm curious to seewith Disney buying Lucasfilm, and announcing what everyone has been hoping fo EP 7,8,9...  will there be a sudden surge of collectors?

Will folk that "dropped out" get back into it again?
Will this bring on any newcomers? 

What about all the "Disney" collectors with $$$ in thier pockets...will any of those folks jump onto the SW band wagon now????? (I think not, but you never know Disney collectors are as nutty as we are)

Will current folks spend more on the hobby, now the the futurelooks intact?
Will anyone drop out because they don't like where this is headed?

If I had to guess I think we'll see a surge right now...then a steadyrise in the overall hobby...I would guess the normal trends would remain, but at a slightly higher level.  Overall I think it makes the hobby a little stronger.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 2, 2012, 04:21 PM »
Maybe this is a good sign for me.  Was planning on dumping most of my modern Hasbro collection so hoping this means the value will get a bump rather then taking a loss.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #192 on: January 8, 2013, 12:15 AM »
Now that it's confirmed that there will be no new product until the fall, what will you focus on?  I'm going to pick up some ebay things here and there that I have missed. And I'm going to be finally setting up my Star Wars room.  I am going to bill it as "The Smallest Star Wars Room on the East Coast."  It's stupid small.  I'm hoping to have it done for May 25, which will be the 35 Anniversary of SW!
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #193 on: January 8, 2013, 12:25 AM »
Lego's...  LOTR and Hobbit.

I may nab a SS figure or two.

I will get the Lego Planet sets too of course, love that sub-line that you can get into without feeling compelled to jump all-in on all Lego SW stuff.

I'm going to be putting some cash into my Jeep this year too, and some elbow grease.

Otherwise I plan on saving some extra...  unless Hasbro really impresses me at Toy Fair of course.  :-\  I'm not expecting that.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 8, 2013, 06:11 AM »
There's a few points where I've got some hope for Star Wars over the next few months.

-Class I Vehicles:  These have been something of a bright point for the line, even with the crappy distribution.  The new offerings are more interesting than a lot of other things in the line.  We got 2 new sculpts in this first wave of the Class I vehicles.  And I'm hoping for some more new Class I offerings in the next few months.

-The long rumored TRU exclusive TESB Slave I:  This one got teased a while ago, and I'm hoping that it' still in the pipeline.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback