Collectibles > The Vintage Collection

The Future of Star Wars Collecting?

<< < (58/172) > >>

Jesse James:
I think anything's possible...

I was an articulation snob for sure, still am.  To me, it's what makes an action figure, an action figure.  To me, the $5-$6 figures are practically knock-offs by comparison...  But at teh same time even I viewed it as having a limit.

Not ALL figures NEED super articulation.  Even I, and I was a guy who took IMMENSE ammounts of **** for championing articulation as I did, can see not all figures need it...

Think of some figures that are outstanding as-is, like the Death Star Gunner, Saga AT-AT Driver, or the 3 Cantina patrons like Myo, and the Gotal guy, and stuff.  Articulation to sit down and acheive a wide range of poses with the arms too.  Wrist joints, knee joints, and a working but simpler elbow joint.

For me, those figures are EACH outstanding and worth purchase.

Same goes for so many other figures too... 

Now did I want a super aticulated Fleet Trooper?  Absolutely.  WOuld I want all the Rebel Troopers done that way?  Mostly, yets.

Could I have been perfectly happy with an AT-ST Driver with just knee joints, elbow, and wrist joints besides the hip/neck/waist?  Absolutely.  No ankles needed, and angle-cut elbows would've sufficed.

Do I want Anakin to have SA?  Absolutely...  Do I want OWK to have SA?  Absolutely.  Stormtroopers and Clones?  Sure.

Sgt. Doallyn?  No.  I appreciate it if I get it, but no.  Or Beru/Owen resculpts.  No, I'm ok with a reduced articulation count.

Now, all that said...  If articulation cuts, and I mean really drops, how can collectors care?  Articulation drove a lot of interest... 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, and so forth, weren't flukes...  Will collectors stay?  Maybe, maybe not.

To me that's why 6" figures aren't a great value, nor are they interesting to me much at all...  $20 for basically buying the same thing you own only slightly larger...  I'd rather they redid something I already own, but made it better, or whatever.  But that's me.  Re-use most of it, whatever, but just add something small...  Hell just paint changes, those are enough to get me to rebuy a lot of the time.  I dunno.

I think the 5POA line won't take off with collectors heavily unless it gets into seriously demanded (and obviously obscure) stuff.  It'll go well with kids... It can help fund collector figures, but I don't foresee collectors ******* to own the 5 POA characters when most have what MOST collectors consider a superior figure already.  Will they flock to 6" then to make up the difference?  I don't think so.  I think scale change is bad.  I think people see it, like Clone Wars, as a separate line and something they can easily pass on to save money.

Just my take.

Muftak:
At the end of the day, I am buying these things now to complete my collection OCD and put 'em on display on a shelf. Articulation is barely a factor to me, but price matters A LOT if we are going above ten bucks each. I was happy to get hyper-articulated figures at a premium price as far back as VOTC if it was a mainstay iconic character that needed it. But then I collected the entire POTF2 line happily before that.

Cantina Alien #15 (let it be Ranat, please) can be 5 POA for all I'm worried, as long as I can afford it and find it at the store.

MasterFisto:

--- Quote from: Brian on February 18, 2013, 08:50 PM ---I was reading through Adam's Q and A this week over at GH, and he mentions in there that he feels the 10+ articulation range 3 3/4" line won't make it past 2013.  Do you think there is a chance of this?
--- End quote ---

I was discussing Pawlus' column (via text) with a buddy of mine, and he said that there is always someone out there eager to predict the death of the line.  It's just too early to tell.  It's kind of premature to do the Chicken Little routine. 

Although I am not overly excited about the character selection for waves one and two, there is still plenty there for me to buy.  Ever since the onset of TVC, I have been buying resculpts of main characters, because I have been seeing these figures as the definitive version of the character.  This will continue into TBS for me.  Truth is, I see TBS as a continuation of the same kind of quality and character selction that we got in the TVC line, but now it's just in a different package.  I want that new Biggs, Ceremony Luke and Padmé; and that new Anakin looks really nice (he appears to be the best AOTC Anakin to date).  More clones are always a welcome addition to my collection, so I'll gladly nab that repainted clone, and the clone pilot.  No brainers for me.  I'll pass on Mara Jade, since I don't collect figures from the comics and from the video games.  And I really wanted that Rex.

--- Quote from: Brian on February 18, 2013, 08:50 PM ---I still love what we're getting in the line now too, but can admit that the well for new characters (or even necessary resculpts) gets a little drier all the time.

--- End quote ---

True, but I can still nerd out and tick off a few from my ROTS want list: Cin Drallig, Office Duel Palpatine, MeruMeru, Wookiee Warrior, Sheltay Retrac and the Birthing Droids.   ;D

Scockery:
Possibly just wishful thinking on his part. I disagree with almost everything Adam Pawlus thinks about everything action figure related, other than that action figures should be able to sit. He's in opposition to the things that got me back into collecting. Waxing romantic about the 90's and the preposed/action feature happy Saga Collection figures is one thing...advocating a return to those times? No thanks. 

P-Siddy:

--- Quote from: Scockery on February 19, 2013, 12:16 PM ---Waxing romantic about the 90's and the preposed/action feature happy Saga Collection figures is one thing...advocating a return to those times? No thanks.

--- End quote ---

Isn't that what GG does now?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version