Author Topic: The Future of Star Wars Collecting?  (Read 237794 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of Star Wars Collecting?
« Reply #495 on: April 27, 2015, 11:45 AM »
That is weird. You know HTS only has one of each item available. Maybe someone bought them all?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline indysolo007

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 27, 2015, 02:00 PM »
I noticed this the other day. They also purged some of the marvel and transformer figures which later re-appeared. The Star Wars ones never did. I was hoping they were clearing the site for the new black series wave.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 27, 2015, 06:53 PM »
Kent Brockman: Professor, without knowing precisely what the danger is, would you say it's time for our viewers to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside?
Professor: Yes I would, Kent.

:D
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline indysolo007

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 28, 2015, 10:16 AM »
All I know is that I need some new figures soon! I'm getting way to excited over build a droids. I want my rex, doom, wolf, chewie and giant headed luke/vader

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #499 on: April 29, 2015, 10:02 AM »
Don't know what it means and maybe it's old news but hts shows everything out of stock if you search "black series"

Looks like a lot of it is back up at HTS now... must have just been doing an inventory and/or moving stock to their ebay store...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #500 on: April 29, 2015, 05:32 PM »
And now AprilShowers nets you 15% off...  I think?  I just got this coupon code today.  Didn't try it, but didn't see anything saying you couldn't use it on anything either.  I admittedly didn't have time to look too hard though either.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline indysolo007

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 30, 2015, 10:30 AM »
I've refreshed that site an unhealthy number of times hoping the next black series wave will pop up while the coupon code is valid.

I think what's worse is the thought of no longer collecting if Hasbro just goes back to the 5poa figures for the new movies. Also, while watching the new rebels trailer I was thinking of how many cool figures and vehicles they could make. A blue a-wing would be easy!

Offline indysolo007

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 30, 2015, 07:05 PM »
Wishful thinking but a full-on realistoc rebels exclusive set would be interesting. Could be a few kitbashes.

Hera-tw'lek x wing pilot plus comic pack Bultar swan parts.
Kanan- new head on a comic pack dash rendar
Chopped- retooled mcquarrie r2
And so on.

I'd buy that in a heartbeat!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: February 1, 2017, 05:48 PM »
I've been thinking about this topic again recently as I finally tore into my Rogue One stuff over Christmas. Got all the figures opened up, and really like them, but then I was left with the realization "ok, what do I do with these now?" I don't really have room to display them, without really cluttering things up, but I'd hate to just pack them up too. It makes you realize that with this movie a year schedule, space will run out pretty quick. My focus will always primarily be the "Skywalker Saga" of the main movies, but I know things like the Han Solo movie will have me hyped as well. It just seems like unless you have pretty unlimited space decisions are going to have to be made at some point.

My Force Awakens vehicles (and TIE Striker from RO) already just have to sit on the floor, not to mention the 6" stuff if you collect it (which I do). What are your plans going forward? Do you limit it to certain movies, figures only, or another option?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #504 on: February 1, 2017, 06:15 PM »
There was a comic pack Dash Rendar?  I think you're misremembering that one man. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #505 on: February 1, 2017, 07:10 PM »
I've limited my collection to The Black Series 3.75" figures.  Even of those I don't get everything.  Although they look good, I never started collecting the 6" figures because they just didn't really fit in any of my displays.

I do, on occaision, pick up some of the regular Hasbro stuff, but that's for my kids, so I don't really count that.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: February 5, 2017, 06:43 AM »
I've never been a completist with the Star Wars toys, usually just trying to get those items I like best, army building certain figures, and leaving what I didn't care for.  Hasbro's re-introduction of the simple 5-POA style made my collecting much easier as I don't really collect much of the new figures.  I do like the Walmart-exclusive Black Series figures, but even then only collect ones they are new characters from the new films.  (For example, I got the new TFA and RO figures, but have left behind the Landos and Admiral Ackbars as I have those figures already). 

After TFA and RO, I have been further disappointed with the 3.75" scale ships for the most part, with exception to the TIE Striker.  They are just nowhere near as detailed as they were 5-7 years ago and really not worth it to me.  Everything from the extreme underscaled sizes, the weaker plastics, lack of details, and nerf dart guns has really wrecked what had been my favorite part of the Star Wars toy collecting since I was very young.  Unless Hasbro pulls out all the stops again for Episode 8, Im really not going to go after the vehicles anymore...

The figures I have really been enjoying are the Black Series 6" figures.  At first I was a little unsure about them, but I have become much more of a completist as time has gone on. My collection has greatly expanded with those and I will frequently get doubles where I can do I have one to display and one to keep packaged.  Given that many of the 6" figures tend to go up in value, it seems a good idea to keep some boxes.  However, even with the 6" figures, it's rare I'll get a complete wave, especially if the wave is mostly duplicate figures.  There are also no vehicles apart from the lovely First Order TIE Fighter and Imperial Speeder Bike.  Still, my Black Series 6" collection continues to grow and I'm starting to run out of display and storage space for it ;)
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #507 on: February 5, 2017, 02:43 PM »
Has everyone seen the announcement of the Marvel SA 2 packs coming this year?

http://marvelousnews.com/news.php?catid=252&itemid=21202

I think it should give us some hope for a rejuvenation of this format at retail beyond WM. Marvel has maintained a small footprint in SA 3.75, mostly because the cost of it has got to be much lower than SW with reusing so many parts. These figures are all new tooling (though all repeats of larger ML figures) so maybe things are tipping back in favor of SA for SW as well. I'd be happy for two packs at $20 if we got like an army builder paired with someone. What do you guys think?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: February 6, 2017, 06:48 AM »
Has everyone seen the announcement of the Marvel SA 2 packs coming this year?

http://marvelousnews.com/news.php?catid=252&itemid=21202

I think it should give us some hope for a rejuvenation of this format at retail beyond WM. Marvel has maintained a small footprint in SA 3.75, mostly because the cost of it has got to be much lower than SW with reusing so many parts. These figures are all new tooling (though all repeats of larger ML figures) so maybe things are tipping back in favor of SA for SW as well. I'd be happy for two packs at $20 if we got like an army builder paired with someone. What do you guys think?

If the Marvel Hasbro pattern holds true, a number of these are probably exclusive, too.  I think a bunch of the 3.75" SA Marvel figures from 2016 wound up being exclusive or distributed VERY tightly.  The CIVIL WAR Cap with motorcycle and Falcon were available at wide retail, but I seem to recall the Black Panther/Agent 13 being a TRU exclusive.

But I was thinking of this particular thread regarding the Future of Star Wars collecting when I was in WalMart last week.  Because I saw some toys for the upcoming movie Kong - Skull Island, and boy is it low end.  The company that's making that toy line is the same one that makes that toy line called "The Corps".  There have been a couple of vehicles from that line that were a little interesting to me, but it has always seemed like the low end version of GI Joe.  How a company like this was able to get a toy license for a fairly big movie release is a surprise to me.  And I think it's an indication of how some of the bigger toy manufacturers are being increasingly cautious about going in on a movie license.
« Last Edit: February 6, 2017, 06:53 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: February 6, 2017, 08:35 AM »
I saw those too and they are god awful toys. The creatures look ok but the people look like preschool toys. Kong is a nice size but barely articulated. These things have clearance written all over them.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy